Author Topic: Volkswagen Jetta vs. Toyota Corolla ??  (Read 17229 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
Re: Volkswagen Jetta vs. Toyota Corolla ??
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2018, 05:42:07 PM »
I burn 91 in my turbo once in a while.  It is designed to make max HP of 248 on the grade and if I keep my foot out of and run at 65 for extended trips it gets better mileage!  My problem is like Franks!  It’s 40-50 cents a gallon more than 87 octane.

Now that you mention it, I think the price is about that much higher here too. A long time ago it used to be 10 cents difference between 87 and 89, and 10 cents between 89 and 91. Now it's probably around 20 cents extra for 89, plus another 25 cents for 91 octane. That puts it closer to $16 extra per tankful.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2018, 05:47:34 PM »
Yea, I normally fill at half tank, about 8 gallons.  Right now 87 is 2.60 and 91 is 3.10 up the street.  Funny thing though, I can drive five miles into CT and pay over 3 bucks for 87...and everything is 10% ethanol out here!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2018, 05:50:01 PM »
Just because it has a octane rating of x, does not mean you are getting that.  Remember you can up to 10% ethanol  in it, which only has 80% the btu  of gas.  I would never run any thing that "needs" 91/93 On the street as pump gas is very bad gas.   Even in my toys  that need  higher octane, I only buy it in cans or run 100ll.  Yes it cost more, but I know what I am getting, has is cheap compared to say a decent boat motor
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2018, 05:54:59 PM »
The 2018 Toyota Camry has a 16 gallon fuel tank. My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a 26 gallon tank. And my 1991 Ford F-150 has 2 tanks. Each hold around 16.5 gallons. The most I ever put in it was 32.5 gallons.

So if I ran them all dry and filled them to the brim, I'm looking at right around 80 gallons total. 91 Octane Premium by me currently goes for $2.70 @ gallon. That would come to $216.00 to top off all 3 vehicles if they all had dry tanks.

Timothy

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2018, 05:57:02 PM »
True, the station where I pumped gas, like most, mixed high test with low octane fuel for their four grades of fuel.  The owner could set the mix ratio...

This was nearly thirty years ago but it still questionable.

Sponsor

« Reply #85 on: Today at 05:29:56 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2018, 05:59:34 PM »
The 2018 Toyota Camry has a 16 gallon fuel tank. My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a 26 gallon tank. And my 1991 Ford F-150 has 2 tanks. Each hold around 16.5 gallons. The most I ever put in it was 32.5 gallons.

So if I ran them all dry and filled them to the brim, I'm looking at right around 80 gallons total. 91 Octane Premium by me currently goes for $2.70 @ gallon. That would come to $216.00 to top off all 3 vehicles if they all had dry tanks.
it costs me almost double that too fill my f450 with diesel.....

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2018, 06:03:16 PM »
Just because it has a octane rating of x, does not mean you are getting that.  Remember you can up to 10% ethanol  in it, which only has 80% the btu  of gas.  I would never run any thing that "needs" 91/93 On the street as pump gas is very bad gas.   Even in my toys  that need  higher octane, I only buy it in cans or run 100ll.  Yes it cost more, but I know what I am getting, has is cheap compared to say a decent boat motor.

True, the station where I pumped gas, like most, mixed high test with low octane fuel for their four grades of fuel.  The owner could set the mix ratio... This was nearly thirty years ago but it still questionable.

More good reasons I'll stick with 91 Octane Premium in my new Toyota.... It probably is only 89 actual Octane. We can't get non Ethanol motor fuel in Phoenix. And racing fuel can sell for up to $10.00 @ gallon. When I lived in Lake Havasu City, a few stations in town had "Racing Fuel". The weekend boaters from California would fill their boats with it. I used it in my bikes. At the time it was $2.00 @ gallon when Premium sold for around a buck.

Timothy

Volkswagen Jetta vs. Toyota Corolla ??
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2018, 06:13:34 PM »
TAB’s too young to remember Sunoco’s 104 octane leaded from the seventies!  We ran it in everything at about 50 cents a gallon!  I could fill up my 65 Mustang with loose change found under the seats!

Ha!!!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2018, 06:28:33 PM »
No, but I remember the since 100 at the pump.  CARB finally killed that off.  Use to drive 13.2 miles each way too fill up the twin turbo  stang.  I needed 1.25 gallons too make it there.  Back 2hen every smog check the only thing that remained under the hood was the brake booster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2018, 06:29:27 PM »
TAB’s too young to remember Sunoco’s 104 octane leaded from the seventies!  We ran it in everything at about 50 cents a gallon!  I could fill up my 65 Mustang with loose change found under the seats!

Ha!!!

We have several stations that still sell ethanol-free gas at around .30 per gallon higher across the board. One station calls it Marine gas and adds an extra .20 on top of that. I run that in my older truck that runs less and sits more and in my mowers. Non-ethanol helps prevent moisture in sitting fuel tanks.
We have one station that sells 100 octane fuel and the pump is locked and you have to get an attendant to unlock it.
My newer truck will run on the E85 (older one would too, but I never did it) but I stick to regular 87 with no issues unless towing our camper in the summer. Then I run 91 with no issues.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk