Author Topic: Remington R1, Hunter (again)  (Read 3433 times)

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Remington R1, Hunter (again)
« on: July 19, 2018, 04:16:37 PM »
Well, in a previous post I vented about my Remington R1 Hunter, 10mm.
The pistol shoots decent groups, after putting $400 to my gunsmith, with a decent trigger pull.
Anyway, I sent the pistol to Remington with the hopes that they would correct the extractor problem.
The problem is that the extractor does not control the fired brass after shooting, and it travels considerable distance from the firing position (20 feet to the rear, and 10+ feet to the right).  The problem is that the extractor is too long, and does not retain the brass after firing.  There is at least .040-.050" gap between the extractor groove of the brass and the extractor.  You can form (bend) the extractor to shorten its length, which I have done.  The extractor is just effectively too long.  In looking at the slide, it appears that the slot for the firing pin retaining plate is cut wrong, or the extractor is just too long. I have also replaced the extractor with a Wilson extractor, but the same problem occurs.
So I sent it to Remington, with a long letter of explanation of the problems.
Well, I just got it back today.  They replaced the extractor, like I did, and the problem still exists.
So I guess I will have to send it down the road, as I am very unhappy with the pistol, and with Remington at Huntsville, AL.  I guess they assume that I will drop the problem (WRONG).

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: Remington R1, Hunter (again)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:57:32 AM »
If you've replaced the extractor...then dang it's a major problem.  Remington should keep you whole on this. 

If you don't get satisfaction from the manufacturer, Michael Bane recommends Cylinder and Slide for 1911 projects and tune-ups.  I was impressed when I spoke with them at the big Wannacher Gun Show in Tulsa a several years ago.  I'd give them a call and get a quote for work on it.  Or you can email from their website a technical question.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 12:54:10 AM »
I recommend Cylinder and Slide too. Bill Laughridge has been in the business for 40 years and knows a thing or three about 1911s. And Hi-Powers. And...

He was the American Pistolsmith Guild Pistolsmith of the Year in 2005. He does great work, and I use some of his drop in parts too, like a hammer and sear kit. It looks like they don't sell the titanium nitride-plated sets like mine anymore. His Ultimate 45 ACP 1911 Extractor is "the only extractor that is made from the correct spring steel called out by the military print". He could install one tune up your pistol.

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0002
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 12:56:33 AM »
Here's a PDF about the history of his extractor.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/PDFarticles/ExtractorHistory.pdf
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 08:25:21 AM »
Thanks to all for the information.
Sorry to say that cylinder-slide does not make an extractor in 10mm.
Good to say that my Glock 40 does not the problem, and is a whole lot more accurate.
So now I have to decide to either send the R1 down the road, or just chase brass,
if I can find it.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:16:20 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 07:54:48 PM »
Well dang.  I'd try Bill Wilson's Wilson Combat.  They have delved into 10MM on a 1911 platform and I think maybe long slide models.  They may have a solution for you...but they are PRICEY.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 10:15:31 PM »
Well dang.  I'd try Bill Wilson's Wilson Combat.  They have delved into 10MM on a 1911 platform and I think maybe long slide models.  They may have a solution for you...but they are PRICEY.

It looks like they only make .45 ACP and .38 Super/9mm extractors.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Extractors/products/42/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk