Author Topic: A good day at the range beats...  (Read 6156 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: A good day at the range beats...
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 01:23:21 PM »
I guess that would depend on which gun you are cleaning!

Or how many! :o
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 04:13:58 PM »
Not so good day

First the good news.  My  10/22 rifles work great.   The Varmint one brings a smile.   I tried it with Standard Velocity, Green and Select CCI ammo.  Select seems to make a sightly tighter group.  Pictures below.   Also the 100yd group is great.  I have it at 1-5/16"

NOW THE BAD NEWS:

The Bushnell 1-4x on my .458 SOCOM is still screwy.   I crank in an 1" down and it goes 6" right.   Will be removing and sending to Bushnell.  This after I centered all the adjustments.  And NO it's not on crooked.  It has a brightness adj on the left side so you can't get it on 90degrees out of kilter.

My First Strike red dot on my other 10/22 is wanky too.   One "click" moves it an inordinate amount at 50yds.  One click back and it goes somewhere else.  I've put that on my upgrade list.

My .308 Mossberg bolt blew a case on the first shot today.   Felt it but no damage.   Tapped the bolt out but the shell was stuck in the chamber.  So much for shooting that today.   Took it home on the bench and gently tapped the shell with a rod down the barrel.   It came out fairly easy.   Commercial ammo, btw.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 07:37:17 PM »
Good shooting. The group with the Select ammo could all be in the black if was left and down a little.

But as the Grateful Dead sang, every silver lining's got a touch of grey. Or as I say, it's always something. It wouldn't be proper for me to say what comes after that on a pubic forum. :-[

I'll be awaiting news on the scope situation.

I thought the head of the case was supposed to be the strongest part. I've read about cases that were reloaded too times having blowouts or complete head separations due to brass flow thinning it out. But I don't recall hearing about new ammo blowing out unless there's excessive headspace. I wonder if it's an ammo problem, gun problem, or both? My bet is on bad ammo.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 09:58:16 PM »
Alf... how sharp is the nose of the extractor?

BAC

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 10:20:58 PM »

I had nice looking guns once upon a time... then they started turning black... now they all look the same... some kind of blight in the gun safe... nicely finished SMLE by the way

Even my black rifle isn't black:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:53:30 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 02:31:50 AM »
Alf that's a good group at 100 for any 22.  22 bullets just aren't designed as the best shape to fly through the air.  Bummer about the scope...

Brian that wood stock is growing on me.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 09:36:25 AM »

Even my black rifle isn't black:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

If I had the time and wherewithall, I'd try to make one that extended forward enough to replace the pistol grip.   I'd love to blow some anti-AR person's mind with a wood stock, non-pistol grip, straight pull bolt action AR-15. 
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 11:03:32 AM »
I was using the new Bench Master foam supports for shooting my .22lr.  Rather nifty and they came along at just the right time as my bean bags had dry rotted.   You can configure them a number of ways.   I could have possibly gotten an even better groups with the Lead Sled, but I didn't feel like dragging it to the range.

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 11:06:02 AM »
The .308 ammo was commercially loaded but they were from once used cases.  I assume the company has a contract to buy government ammo.   Cleverly they call it Heat In A Can.    I've shot a couple hundred of their 5.56mm and about 100 of this batch of .308.  The first problem I've had.

They're coming to a gun show near me in a week I may just drop the case off, not expecting any thing back, but maybe their QC might find it interesting.

http://www.georgia-arms.com/about-us/
Will work for ammo

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 10:26:36 PM »
Those Bench Master foam blocks are pretty neat. I've heard of Georgia Arms before. They're one of the few places that sells .460 Rowland ammo. They have a load with a 185gr Nosler JHP at a screaming 1550 FPS. I'm not sure if that's the same bullet that comes poking along at around 980 FPS in Nosler Match Grade .45 ACP or not. If it is, it must explode on impact.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk