Author Topic: In need of music suggestions  (Read 38259 times)

BAC

In need of music suggestions
« on: October 03, 2018, 05:36:16 PM »
I listen to music a lot while at work (Spotify), but am getting bored with the albums I've downloaded.  So I'm looking for suggestions for new albums.  What are some of your favorites?  I'm partial to rock from the 60s to the 80s, but will take any suggestions.

Thanks!

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: In need of music suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 06:25:32 PM »
Traveling Wilburys if you don't have them...did at least 2 albums..

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 09:55:09 PM »
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young
the Band
Doors
3 Dog Night
Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
Cream
Fleetwood Mac

Judy Collins
Joan Baez
Carole King
Jim Morrison

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 10:12:26 PM »
Rammstein
Hank Jr.
Black sabbath
Damn Yankees
Procol Harum
Lynyrd Skynyd
Whiskey Myers
I have eclectic tastes... ;)
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1071
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 01:06:07 AM »
I never heard of Whiskey Myers, but with a name like Whiskey I'm interested.

I love '70s & ''80s rock, '80s new wave, hard rock, heavy metal, some pop -- as long as it's not the no-talent music of today, alternative, electronic, jazz. Just about anything except country, rap, noise music, and anything they play in clubs. I buy a lot of CDs and tend to go for things that I don't hear on the radio. As soon as I heard Deborah Henson-Conant playing jazz on a harp I fell in love with her music. Albums 2-4 were really good IMO. Jean Luc-Ponty is a master of the electric violin and has dozens of jazz solo albums. He used to play with Frank Zappa and a lot of other people. I'm a big fan of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and all the usual rock groups from that era. I'll take a look at some of the CDs I have here. Besides the bands others have mentioned you may want to try:

Asia
Atlanta Rhythm Section
Jeff Beck
Blind Faith -- the only album they ever made
The Byrds
Candlebox
Cracker
Robert Cray Band (blues) -- Strong Persuader
Cry Of Love
Days of The New, the first (orange) album, not the green or red
Deep Purple
Thomas Dolby
Peter Gabriel
Heavy Metal movie soundtrack -- the only cassette tape I ever wore out
INXS
Chris Isaak -- Heart Shaped World
Joe Jackson
Jackyl -- their first album
James Gang
Jethro Tull
Living Color -- Vivid
Madness
Manfred Mann's Earth Band
Meat Puppets -- Too High To Die. Never expect their lyrics to make any sense.
The Steve Miller Band
Molly Hatchet
The Moody Blues
Ted Nugent
Gary Numan -- The Pleasure Principle, and Telekon, if you can stand his voice. I like the viola parts.
Mike Oldfield -- Tubular Bells, 1973 album
The Alan Parsons Project
Power Station
The Pretenders
Queensryche -- Empire
Rainbow
Santana
Seal -- first 2 albums
Seven Mary Three
Silverchair -- Frogstomp, from when they were only 15 years old
Soft Cell
Soul Asylum
Soundgarden
Spinal Tap
Sponge -- Rotting Pinata
Steely Dan
Al Stewart
toad the wet sprocket -- fear
Traffic
Robin Trower
UFO
the verve pipe -- villains
Rick Wakeman
Whitesnake
Steve Winwood
Yardbirds
Yes
Neil Young

That should keep you busy for a while. I have over 500 CDs plus some tapes and vinyl if you'd like more suggestions.

And I have to mention the boys from Frankenmuth, one of the hottest bands around, Greta Van Fleet. The lead singer sounds a lot like Robert Plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJxp-co

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXdM1rqSlSQ
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:41:56 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1071
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 01:11:42 AM »
I forgot Brother Cane. I like their album Seeds the best.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 07:21:52 AM »
I'm more of a Western music fan - NOT C&W and sure as heck not "Country", at least the modern stuff. People like Ian Tyson, Brenn Hill, Joni Harms, real cowboy singers (they are all working ranchers/farmers).

About the only thing I can suggest is Talking Heads, still like their Stop Making Sense album.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 07:37:59 AM »
Rammstein
Hank Jr.
Black sabbath
Damn Yankees
Procol Harum
Lynyrd Skynyd
Whiskey Myers
I have eclectic tastes... ;)

Nice... My tastes vary too..

Halestorm
Aaron Lewis
5 Finger Death Punch
Seldom Scene
Allison Krauss and Union Station
Chris Stapleton
Pentatonix.... old stuff while Avi was still with them. Not impressed with their choice of fill-ins.
Walk off the Earth
Johnny Cash
Styx
Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver
Dailey and Vincent

I've got a much longer list but you get the idea. Variety helps cure the boredom. My parents raised me on bluegrass and classic country, I found rebel country and hard rock along the way. I also like just about anything that produces GOOD harmony. There is not a lot of rap that I will listen to, but some of Kid Rock or Limp Bizkit works too.

Lately I spend a lot of time on my pandora feed for Aaron Lewis radio or I will listen to another station called Iron Horse radio.... think classic and current rock in bluegrass/country format.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Timothy

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 09:16:13 AM »
Most of that already mentioned!

Country today is just pop music wearing a straw hat...

Old country is fine!

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 11:23:56 AM »

"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk