Author Topic: In need of music suggestions  (Read 37669 times)

BAC

Re: In need of music suggestions
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 12:12:57 PM »
This is good!  Keep'em coming.  What is your favorite album of all time?

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 12:36:25 PM »
David Allen Coe
Michael Martin Murphy
Jerry Jeff Walker
Waylon Jennings
Jessie Colter

Favorite album?  Do you really have to ask? 
Dark Side of the Moon
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Timothy

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 04:36:23 PM »

Texas Flood, Stevie Ray Vaughn

BAC

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 07:27:59 PM »
Listened to Traveling Wilbury's first album.  Not too shabby.  It got me thinking that I had Tom Petty's Damn the Torpedoes in high school and listened to it a lot.  Got that, too.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 01:13:51 AM »

That's like asking, who is your favorite child?

How about Desert Island Discs? Choose eight recordings you would take if you were to be cast away on a desert island.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Island_Discs

I've also heard about people making a list of 10 records they would like to take if stuck on a desert island. In no particular order I'd start with:

1. Pink Floyd -- Dark Side of the Moon
2. Black Sabbath -- Paranoid
3. Beethoven -- Symphony No. 9
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:05:33 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 12:33:54 PM »
Many of mine have been covered already by several folks (you guys have good taste  ;D ).

There's only one group and one single artist that I have every album they put out (and most DVD concerts) and that's Pink Floyd and SRV. I do have everything by the original Lynyrd Skynyrd but only some of the later albums from the 2.0 version.

If you like blues styled music, particularly SRV, his former bandmates (Double Trouble) made a couple of albums after his death with other lead guitarists and singers. One was Arc Angels featuring an old friend of Stevie's doing vocals and guitar.

Also in the same vein of music, check out Ian Moore, Storyville and Los Lonely Boys.

I don't listen to new "country"..... anything newer than Alan Jackson and George Straight don't cut it except for a few acts. I do like Jamey Johnson.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 05:30:16 AM »
George Thorogood
Christopher Cross
Pablo Cruise
ZZ Top
Dr. Hook
Iron Butterfly
Alice Cooper

I tried to not duplicate others, but may have.  A lot of good music listed in these two pages!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 11:57:12 PM »
Many of mine have been covered already by several folks (you guys have good taste  ;D ).

There's only one group and one single artist that I have every album they put out (and most DVD concerts) and that's Pink Floyd and SRV. I do have everything by the original Lynyrd Skynyrd but only some of the earlier albums from the 2.0 version.

If you like blues styled music, particularly SRV, his former bandmates (Double Trouble) made a couple of albums after his death with other lead guitarists and singers. One was Arc Angels featuring an old friend of Stevie's doing vocals and guitar.

Also in the same vein of music, check out Ian Moore, Storyville and Los Lonely Boys.

I don't listen to new "country"..... anything newer than Alan Jackson and George Straight don't cut it except for a few acts. I do like Jamey Johnson.

Wasn't Alan Jackson the guy who totally screwed up Mercury Blues by The Steve Miller Band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=209ZiEXYxKc

Making songs of any other genre into country songs should be expressly prohibited by law. I heard one on the radio a while back on a station that plays mostly pop music. When I realized what rock song was underneath all that twang I was shocked. It was so bad the song was half over before I realized it was something I'd heard played properly many times before. I like some Charlie Daniel's Band songs and I have a Johnny Cash tape. That's about as country as I get.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 12:06:54 AM »
I'm not totally opposed to remaking songs in other styles. It's often entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNM-BJ9JDKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiKzKdLk-iQ

BAC

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 01:01:06 AM »
Steve Miller, yes!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk