Author Topic: The Ruger Charger...will this work?  (Read 24950 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Ruger Charger...will this work?
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2019, 11:31:46 AM »
the next generation... ok, so I really don't need another .22, but I have a rather linear thinking brain, so decided to build my concept light weight 10/22 for the Steel Challenge...ordered a Brownells BRN22 receiver with the integral Picatinny rail, and a 16" sport profile barrel...assembled it yesterday, and slipped it in for a trial fit with the PMACA light weight chassis... the bolt and BX trigger group is to be delivered tomorrow... with a short Magpul vertical grip on a short extension rail off the chassis, I think this will swing very well... (my SBR's 10" is very fast, but heavier than I would like) most likely the Vortex SPARC will be the dot of choice

season's greetings

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2019, 11:56:15 AM »
Les, you like need to post a picture of this creation of yours.  It sounds interesting.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2019, 08:40:52 PM »
^  wot hee sed
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
Re: The Ruger Charger...will this work? -- PICS ADDED
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2020, 08:15:32 PM »
I think I've finally gotten it the way I want it! I ran with a Primary Arms 3x prism sight for a while and liked it, but the red dot is smaller and lighter. The PA prism sight is working fine on a rifle. I found the UTG fixed "AR" front sight, and a Ruger folding rear (seems a little smaller than the MBUS).

If the red dot poops the bed, I'm thinking I can use the tube as a rough rear sight in a hurry, or deploy the Ruger rear if I have a few seconds. One reason I like the polymer rear sight over the
Magpul "Pro" steel one is not just price, but more importantly, it's a LOT faster into action. I need to open up the rear aperature a bit, though.

I also bought some glow-in-the-dark tape off Amazon. I plan to put a narrow strip up ramp of the front sight, sort of like Matt Bracken described in his Red Cliffs of Zerhounnovel. I have to get out to the range at dusk soon and find out how well it works. The tape glows for a long time. I've used it on the pulls of our ceiling fans, and you can see the faint green glow all night.

This little .22 is so compact with the Hera folder unit, that I think I'll be able to carry it in a book bag easily. It's fairly light as well. The Hera folder does not lock in the folded position: there's a detent, but a quick grab and movement can have it open pretty fast.

The Tandemkross mag bodies are great. It's just the clear shell: you use the guts of two 10-round Ruger mags, giving you a doubled magazine that's fairly compact. It's effectively the same as the factory mag, and they've been very reliable.

One final bit of work remains. I plan to "bed" the action into the chassis with a little JB Weld. I'll remove the trigger group, grease it up and put a little epoxy at the back part of the chassis and (probably) under the front of the receiver at the barrel v-block. This should quell a slight bit of movement I feel when the screw isn't completely tight.

It may not be an AK or an M-14, but it's quick and accurate, and it's small and light enough to possibly be with me -- inside the vehicle, not in the trunk! -- when I need it! Michael's been mentioning recommending Chargers in his podcast, and I think he's on to something. This little .22 and my Glock are becoming my constant companions in these troubled times.

Stay safe,
Dirty Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2020, 09:46:52 PM »
my Charger is both similar and different to yours... I stayed with the factory take down barrel... I don't have a blade, just an AR pistol buffer tube (I'm tired of trying to keep up with the ATF notifications), and used the cheaper UTG folding hinge for an AK47 that fits the PMACA chassis, also no muzzle device

I was able to remove the slight rocking of the receiver from my 16" gun I built on the Brownells BRN22 chassis... I didn't use JB weld, but for the rear of the receiver an "L" shaped piece of cola can with a double fold on the bottom, and the vertical piece holds it in place between the receiver and chassis... for the front, a 1" piece of 1913 rail (maybe close to 1/2" thick, didn't measure) from the junk box had a radius somewhat similar to the barrel... inverted it took only a couple of cola can shims to really tighten up the whole receiver... it is located in place over one of the fore grip extension screws..... Les

Sponsor

« Reply #65 on: Today at 07:47:08 AM »

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2020, 10:11:19 PM »
Les, the shim idea is a good one. It sounds like your Charger may weigh a little less than mine, depending on barrel weight. I strongly considered a cord-wrapped buffer tube, but I'm faster with the Blade, and that was part of the appeal of the pistol.

I also used a UTG Scout Rail (~$12) that I shortened to fit the 6-inch barrel, so I could use backup sights as well as an optic. I like the fixed front, like a shotgun bead, for very fast, close range shooting.

Overall, I think that this little "Ruger" is actually fairly practical, as a very small and fairly light .22 that can reach out. I'm eager to try it at 100 yards and see what it can do.

Regards,
Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk