Author Topic: Biscuit Recipe  (Read 11900 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Biscuit Recipe
« on: October 14, 2018, 09:43:58 AM »
What's your best biscuit recipe.  I miss my grandmother's biscuits...she had a pinch of yeast in them and they were the best.

Anyone have one of those recipe's with yeast and self-rising flour?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Timothy

Re: Biscuit Recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 10:54:16 AM »
Never knew my grandmas.

Mom made those nasty bisquick things.

I make a decent one but it’s just a basic recipe.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »
I've never put yeast in biscuits.

I do have a good basic yeast roll recipe that can be adjusted for various tastes.

My biscuits use the basics: flour, equal parts lard and cold butter, with either milk or buttermilk depending on what style I want.

I know some folks use sour cream and even mayonnaise as binders, and I know one guy who uses 7up soda as a liquid.

Sorry, couldn't resist:

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 06:59:22 AM »
The sour cream thing sounds interesting.  I don't think I've had biscuits with that in them.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 12:41:08 PM »
Rastus, this is the one I have in my files but have yet to try. A friend recommended it and really like it.

Sour Cream Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 stick butter or margarine, softened or 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons
1 1/2 cups sour cream

Whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl. 
Cut in butter until like coarse crumbs. 
Add sour cream and mix with a spoon until holds together.
Roll out on a floured surface and cut out with biscuit cutter. 
Place on sprayed baking sheet.
Bake in preheated 425 degree oven 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown on top. 
Makes about 18 biscuits. 

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:28:15 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 01:31:44 PM »
 Cornmeal/Sage/Chive Biscuits with Bacon and Redeye Gravy

Cornmeal Biscuits with Sage and Chives

1 and 1/3 cup White Lily SELF RISING flour
3 Tablespoons corn meal
1/8 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
1/2  tsp. dried/crushed sageleaves
6 Tablespoons salted butter
1 /2 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Mix milk and lemon juice in a small bowl and let sit while you mix up everything else (let sit at least 8-10 minutes)

Mix self rising flour, cornmeal, sugar and cream of tartar.  Add in chives and sage and blend.

Make a well in the center and pour in the milk mixture, stir just until combined. Cut in butter with two knives or pastry blender until butter is in tiny little bits (don't incorporate completely for flakier biscuits.)  If dough is "wet" looking, add in another Tablespoon of flour as you knead.

Drop onto floured board and kneed 4-5 times (no more than that). Cut with 2 inch glass dipped in flour and bake on cookie sheet sprayed with non stick spray for 13-14 minutes, until golden on top.  Makes six biscuits.

Redeye Gravy

8 slices thick cut hickory smoked bacon
2 teaspoons flour
1 cup strong black coffee, room temperature
1/2 cup chicken stock
pinch of brown sugar
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Cook bacon until crisp in a cast iron skillet. Remove half of the drippings and save. Set bacon aside to keep warm. Reduce heat slightly and in remaining drippings stir flour, whisking on low until golden and stirring up browned bits of bacon (about 3-4 minutes)

Pour coffee and stock into the bacon/flour mixture, whisking constantly, raising heat to low/medium until mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat slightly, add brown sugar and cayenne and simmer until slightly thickened (this won't be near as thick as Sawmill type gravy, but less flour makes the flavors really shine)

Add a dash of salt and pepper.  Serve over bacon and biscuits
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 01:32:36 PM »
Best Buttermilk Rolled Biscuits
Ingredients

2 c. flour
4 1/2 tsp. double acting baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. butter
2/3 c. buttermilk, plus a bit extra
Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix together the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter until it is in small flakes or balls. I do this by hand with a fork, because you don’t want the butter mixed in too completely. This is very important for the flakiness.Gradually stir in the 2/3 c. buttermilk. Do not overmix. With biscuits you want to mix as little as necessary to preserve the flakiness.

If the dough has pulled together into a soft dough, you have added enough liquid. If not, splash a bit extra buttermilk in (maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons worth) and mix just enough to form a soft dough.

Turn out onto floured board and knead very gently 6 to 10 times.

Form into a ball; roll out to about 1/2" thickness.

Using a 2" biscuit or cookie cutter, cut biscuits out. Mush scraps back together gently and cut more biscuits.

Place biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown on top.

Serve hot and enjoy!
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »
Best Dropped Biscuits

Makes 4 large biscuits. Wrap any leftovers in foil to reheat with supper.

Dry Ingredients

1 1/4 cups self rising flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons Crisco

Wet ingredients

1/2 cup milk, to which you add 1 and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice. Let sit 5-10 minutes.

Stir dry ingredients and cut Crisco into it with a pastry cutter (or a couple of forks) until it resembles course meal. Make a small "dent" in the flour in the bowl in which you will pour the milk.

Add milk mixture to the well in the center of the dry mixture all at once. Stir with a spatula, JUST until the flour is incorporated and dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. 4-6 gentle stirs is all it should take. DO NOT overmix. The less you handle it, the more tender it will be.

Using that same spatula, drop dough onto a lightly greased (or use PAM) cookie sheet. Bake at 475 F. for 9-11 minutes. The top will still be fairly light colored, but the little peaks will look dark brown and the bottom will be done quite nicely.

Remove, brush with 1 tablespoon of melted butter and drizzle with fresh honey.

LOWER TRANS FAT VERSION (NOT low fat).

Do not add Crisco. Melt 4 tablespoons of real, unsalted butter in the microwave after you've done the dry and wet ingredients. Pour the melted butter into the cup of milk which should be very cold. Let sit a few minutes, stirring, until the butter starts to congeal again (should look like grainy soup). Then add to dry mixture. This does not reduce the fat content but makes the TRANS fat content much less, with little difference in texture or flavor. Best Buttermilk Biscuits
(from firefly at I live on a farm)
Ingredients

2 c. flour
4 1/2 tsp. double acting baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. butter
2/3 c. buttermilk, plus a bit extra
Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix together the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter until it is in small flakes or balls. I do this by hand with a fork, because you don’t want the butter mixed in too completely. This is very important for the flakiness.Gradually stir in the 2/3 c. buttermilk. Do not overmix. With biscuits you want to mix as little as necessary to preserve the flakiness.

If the dough has pulled together into a soft dough, you have added enough liquid. If not, splash a bit extra buttermilk in (maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons worth) and mix just enough to form a soft dough.

Turn out onto floured board and knead very gently 6 to 10 times.

Form into a ball; roll out to about 1/2" thickness.

Using a 2" biscuit or cookie cutter, cut biscuits out. Mush scraps back together gently and cut more biscuits.

Place biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown on top.

Serve hot and enjoy!
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 01:34:36 PM »
 Cheddar Garlic Biscuits

2 and 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour (10 ounces)
1/4 cup lard
3/4 cup milk
a generous 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Place flour in bowl and cut in lard with pastry blender or two knives until the fat is the size of very small peas.

Stir in the milk and the cheese, stirring just until the dough leaves the side of the bowl and is holding together. The mixture should be slightly sticky but not "wet". If it is wet, add a Tablespoon of flour, if too dry, another Tablespoon of milk. Weighing the flour really helps get the proportions just right.

Drop by a big tablespoon until a baking sheet sprayed with non stick spray.

While they bake, mix in  a microwave safe cup in microwave -
1/3 cup unsalted butter
3/4  teaspoon garlic powder
a pinch of Penzey's Tuscan Sunset or your favorite blended Italian seasoning

Nuke 15-20 seconds, until the butter is melted and stir.  In a separate dish measure out 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of dried parsley.

Brush butter mixture over biscuits as they come out of the oven.

Sprinkle with  parsley and serve warm.

Makes 10-12 biscuits
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 05:43:05 PM »
In the recipes that call for milk and lemon juice, it's a substitute for buttermilk. So is milk with white vinegar. I learned about that sometime back in the last millennia. Probably when I was still in school. Buttermilk ferments long enough to turn the lactose into lactic acid. You need the acid to react with the baking soda that's in most recipes. Baking powder has baking soda and an acidic compound in it, and double acting baking powder has 2 kinds of acid, just in case the buttermilk doesn't have enough acid already. Cream of tartar is also a type of acid.

Equal parts sour cream and water is also a substitute for buttermilk but I don't believe I've seen a biscuit recipe with sour cream and no water in it before. It sounds good to me anyway. With the acid and baking soda or baking powder in most recipes you don't have to sit around and wait like you do when you're baking something with yeast in it. It's going to rise anyway.

I still haven't had red-eye gravy. I don't think I ever heard of it until a couple of months ago. It doesn't really sound very good with with coffee in it, but I'll keep an open mind until I try it myself, if I ever do. Chocolate cake on the other hand is fantastic with coffee in it. The b**ch took my Hershey's recipe book when I got divorced so I can't tell you what else was in one I made, besides coffee and cocoa and the typical cake stuff. I think I made the coffee double strong and may have let it cool down. And the cake didn't taste like coffee, but the chocolate flavor tasted even better than regular chocolate cake. I wish I had some right now, but if I looked up the recipe online and made it, I wouldn't want to share my cake with anyone else and that wouldn't be good.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk