Author Topic: BRN-180 AR-180 Style Upper For AR-15s  (Read 6896 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: BRN-180 AR-180 Style Upper For AR-15s
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 05:30:53 PM »
Yeah, it sounds like we started out about the same. I bought mine from a guy at work who was a gun dealer on the side, back when it was still easy to get an FFL. I think it was $572 but can't be sure without looking at the sales slip. I started working in that department in 1992 so it wasn't any earlier than that. My Colt AR-15 A2 Sporter II has the old A1 style rear sight and the A2 brass deflector. From what I found when I looked it up years ago, it looks like Colt made the A1/A2 transitional uppers for 3 or 4 years. The A2 rear sight with the drum was only put on the HBARs for awhile.

My lower doesn't have a fence around the mag release either but other than that and the rear sight it was all A2. It has the chrome-lined 1:7" A2 profile barrel with A2 flash hider, and A2 stock, grip and handguards. I put a tritium front sight on it and a large aperture rear sight. It's been so long the tritium quit glowing but I never bothered to change the sights. I should put the A2 post back on but I like having regular and ghost-ring type apertures.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 11:55:42 PM »
Brownell's has AR-180 style AR-15 lowers now. These are forged and the more AR-15 style with the Pic rail on the back is billet. Now all they need to do is make an AR-18 style stock so you don't have to use an AR-15 or SIG MCX stock. If they make a proper looking stock for it, or a complete rifle, I'll charge it to one of my cards and figure out how to pay for it later.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 12:55:24 AM »
It's getting closer to what I want. I'd still prefer something closer to the original handguards. If they attached like AR-15 handguards, were narrower than A2-style, and looked anything like AR-18 handguards I'd be happy. It only needs a top rail long enough for a front sight, or a place to attach the rail segment, and a place to mount an optional one on the bottom. The top and bottom handguards could be made the same to save money. Some rear sights look close enough and there might be a front sight close enough too. It's still a hybrid design no matter how you look at it, but if people saw it and asked if it was an AR-180, you'd know it was close enough to fool some people, and I could live with that.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 12:27:00 AM »
They're making an 18.5" barrel now. It's about effin' time you can get something longer than 16", like the original AR-180 length they should have made in the first place. This looks a lot better. And they have new and improved Gen. 2 uppers. 

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:03:33 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2021, 08:55:55 AM »
They're making an 18.5" barrel now. It's about effin' time you can get something longer than 16", like the original AR-180 length they should have made in the first place. This looks a lot better. And they have new and improved Gen. 2 uppers.

I don't see much point in the gimmick.
The difference between the AR 10/15 and the AR 18/180 was primarily in the rest of the gun.
Basically it's just another AR upper with a marketing gimmick.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 10:32:33 PM »
I don't see much point in the gimmick.
The difference between the AR 10/15 and the AR 18/180 was primarily in the rest of the gun.
Basically it's just another AR upper with a marketing gimmick.

If you get one of the BRN-180 uppers, you can put a folding stock or brace on any AR lower, and fire it with the stock or brace folded (without buying a Modified Cycle system like mine). That's the whole point of it. Plus, it's a piston driven system that was designed as a piston driven system, NOT a direct impingement system that someone more or less Jerry rigged, like most piston driven ARs. So, it's not  just another AR upper with a marketing gimmick. It has two distinct advantages, if you think piston driven is better than pooping where you eat. And the BRN-180 lowers have Picatinny rails built in to attach a stock or brace directly without any adapters, if you're starting a new build. If I was building a new MSR I would be seriously tempted by the forged lower and 18.5" upper. Hell, I might even trade my old Colt and get a new lower. Then I could get a new upper whenever. I'm tired of that Colt 8mm or 5/16", or whatever the heck the front pivot pin is, that doesn't fit anything else. I should trade it in.

https://deadfootarms.com/products/modified-cycle-system-folding-stock-adaptor-black-nitride-bolt-carrier-group

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk