Author Topic: Wear, Use & Patina  (Read 3775 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Re: Wear, Use & Patina
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 10:41:50 AM »
To bad you chopped it off. They can fix that on a shot gun barrel.

Yep.

My dad bent the barrel on my Ithaca .410 single shot while using it to shoot squirrels. He was riding on his golf cart and was pulling under his garage and the barrel was sticking through the arm rest and got hung on the support post of the garage opening and bent around in a sweeping 30° left turn.
I looked online for a replacement barrel and the ones I found were upwards of $200 or more because the gun was years out of production.
We took it a mile down the road to a family friend who was a gunsmith to see if anything could be done, or if he had a line on a cheaper barrel. He said to leave it with him and he'd see what he could do. A few days later he called and said come get it so my dad went down and got it.
He brought it over and I saw it and thought he'd replaced the barrel, so I asked what it cost and dad said $40. I said that was too cheap for a new barrel and dad said that was the old barrel and he straightened it in a jig he had.
I was amazed that a bend like that could be straightened out but he did it.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 12:01:27 PM »
What a freaking job !
I spent a holiday weekend at TCA straightening barrels for a rush order.
They were a degree or 2 and fussy as hell.
Can't imagine the PITA he had.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 02:54:59 PM »
Yeah.
That shotgun was the first 'real' gun I ever shot, and I hunted a lot with it before my uncle stepped me up to his 1100 16ga. I was sick when I first saw the bend because I knew the age of the gun meant hard-to-find parts. I was happy as a pig in slop when I saw it straight.
I think I posted about it in a thread on here years ago, but heck, it's been nearly ten years.

I didn't get any before pics but it was bad. The muzzle end was at least 10" of center-line.

These are the after pics.

The second pic looks wonky, but it is camera angle and not the barrel. I can attest that the barrel is straight and shoots as true as before.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 04:04:25 PM »
Nice work

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 08:27:53 AM »
To bad you chopped it off. They can fix that on a shot gun barrel.

I know that now but may not have back then. Not that it was worth fixing an old Spesco 151 made by CBC. It looked just like this CBC 12 gauge that sold at auction for $59. I just checked Williams Gun Sight's price list and found this --> Raise dent in barrel (price per dent) $40. Um, no thanks. I wouldn't spend $40 just to end up with a gun worth $59. I think I drilled a hole, maybe only halfway through to mount my front sight after I cut the barrel down. Anyway, I epoxied a BB onto it for a front sight because that's how much I thought it was worth spending on it, and I painted it fluorescent yellow. I didn't cut the stock off right away, but when I did I filed a rear sight notch in the top of the frame so I could aim it like a pistol. It was too heavy for me to one-hand it very much but the recoil wasn't too bad. I might have a picture somewhere of the gun in a Samsonite attache I bought for it, but I think I got rid of the pictures after I got rid of the gun.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:32:32 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2020, 12:19:44 PM »
Probably a good thing.
internet posts can be used as evidence.   ;D
You don't want to end up like Randy Weaver.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 08:42:39 PM »
I don't want to end up like Randy Weaver's family either. My shotgun had an 18 1/2" barrel. It was more than 26" long overall, but after a lot of filing and sanding it was so close you needed a micrometer to tell. :D Not really, but it was only 26 1/4" IIRC. To your average cop it would look like a SBS and I was worried about getting arrested while transporting it. When the city had a gun "buyback" I got rid of that, my Crosman pellet gun that looked like a .357 Mag., and a single shot black powder pistol I made from a kit. It was hard not to laugh out loud when the cop was standing in front of the bullet-trap barrel trying to figure out how to clear the pellet gun. ;D I can't remember if it still worked okay or not. It probably did but I never used it anymore. The black powder pistol had a hair trigger and I was afraid to even load it. I was glad to get some cash for that dangerous POS, even thought I didn't get much for any of them. Like most gun "buybacks" it was a good opportunity for gun owners to get rid of some junk they didn't want anymore.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 08:58:39 PM »
That's multiple felonies, No paper work, no NICS, etc, etc.
But it's OK when Bloomberg shills do it.
"It's for the children"   ::)

I liked the guy in Ca who set up outside offering $25 more for GOOD guns .   ;D
They threw him in jail .

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 10:17:44 PM »
I liked the guy in Ca who set up outside offering $25 more for GOOD guns .   ;D
They threw him in jail .

What were the charges?  I know it is California, and they don't need a reason, but what law did he actually break?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 07:53:17 AM »
No background checks and no waiting period.
The same laws the Anti's were breaking.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk