Author Topic: EMP & Gun Safe Electronic Locks  (Read 2068 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
EMP & Gun Safe Electronic Locks
« on: June 20, 2019, 06:17:26 AM »
https://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/emp/

S&G purports to have EMP resistant gun locks.  I had the new safe outfitted with one and I had the guys change out the Canon electronic lock on delivery with a new S&G lock.

A friend said, "So what if your lock didn't work after an EMP event?  Just drill your way in." 
 :-\
"With what electricity?" I asked.  'Nuff said....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: EMP & Gun Safe Electronic Locks
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 10:48:22 AM »
One would think that the big metal box would work great as a faraday cage.

Honestly if you're worried about emp and you do not have a generator...

You can buy a  very lighlty used 2k watt Honda generator  for $500.  Even a China made pos knock offs van be had for less then that.   I highly recomend every one should have a small portable  generator and at least 3 days worth if the canned stabilized fuel.  Power outages can happen anywhere.  I had one this month  when a semi tool out a major distribution line a couple miles away.  Only guy on the street with power...
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 10:11:04 PM »
https://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/emp/

S&G purports to have EMP resistant gun locks.  I had the new safe outfitted with one and I had the guys change out the Canon electronic lock on delivery with a new S&G lock.

A friend said, "So what if your lock didn't work after an EMP event?  Just drill your way in.
 :-\
"With what electricity?" I asked.  'Nuff said....

It wouldn't be much of a safe if you could do that, now would it? He can get this hand drill for 60 bucks but may need to invest more in drill bits than what the EMP resistant lock costs. And who's going to hold off the people who are coming to take all of his stuff while he's busy trying to drill his way into his gun safe?

https://www.amazon.com/Schroeder-50114-Hand-Drill/dp/B00143FP5C
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 06:00:22 AM »
I do have a generator (got two) but they will be useless unless they are shielded from EMP.  The big metal box is a pretty good cage but the controls (old electronic lock) penetrating the box weren't EMP resistant so the new one was needed. 

I'm in the process of getting a couple of Listeroid diesel generators for the place in Arkansas.  The generator heads are several hundred bucks and a couple of extras in metal boxes is a good idea.  EMP will take out a connected generator head...perhaps one that isn't. 

Regardless, if we do have an EMP event there will be plenty to do without fiddling around trying to get into a safe. 

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 06:32:53 PM »
Ain't Nobody Got Time Fo Dat!
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:26:18 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk