Author Topic: carry optic  (Read 2082 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
carry optic
« on: September 23, 2019, 02:25:05 PM »
shot my first Carry Optic division Steel Challenge match last Saturday... I think the use of a quality optic like Trijicon RMR or Leupold Delta Point Pro is the wave of the future for pistol sights... I purchased a G17 Swenson slide that was machined for a Vortex Venom (I had an extra) so built an upper for my old G17.3.... I've been playing with the AR9 PCC for about 3 years, and had not shot a pistol in a long time for competition... in preparation also added an Apex trigger to the Glock and re polished the trigger parts... had a good time, with some decent runs and some not so good... will take a little time to get used to the new blaster and sight picture, but I think I'll keep it for the Steel Challenge and AR9 for USPSA field matches... I think the magazine problem is worked out with the new radially delayed CMMG bolt... regards Les

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: carry optic
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 08:38:36 PM »
That's a lot of information packed into one post ! ! ! ! !

I have a Canik with an RMR on it.  Had it for a couple of years but haven't shot it enough to be proficient.  I'm thinking old man eyesight is a problem and that iron sights are my "future". 

Tell me more about that CMMG bolt. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 11:31:32 PM »
Rastus... the CMMG Radially Delayed bolt uses a bolt and barrel extension similar to an AR15...but the bolt has an angle cut (45 degrees ?) to a relatively sharp point, and therefore does not engage the barrel extension with full contact lugs...a slight amount of bolt movement cams it to unlock... the bolt is larger than a 5.56, but the carrier is thinner on the wall, making the entire bolt system have less mass than a 5.56 carrier, and on paper, should have less recoil than a traditional blow back 9mm carbine... the cam action is quicker, so as the rifle recoils the point of the bolt in contact with the extension unlocks and allows the bolt to cycle...I perceive it like an inertia bolt of a Benelli, the bolt momentarily stays in place due to inertia, and the firearm moves around the bolt due to recoil... a cam then unlocks the bolt to cycle

CMMG makes the system with a proprietary lower, and also sell the bolt and barrel singularly... the problem is with the magazine clearance... the magazine geometry built into their proprietary lower is not the same as other blow back lowers...the magazines sit too high in my NFA billet lower, and caused interference problems when hand cycling dummy rounds through it

I found that MagPul Glock mags worked fine, but only came in a 27 round capacity.... a 3D printing company has made a couple of extensions for the PMags... I prefer to shoot the clear ETS mags for competition, so for them I clearance the magazine bodies initially  and then remove most of the nose of the follower forward of the feed lips,.... with the rearward motion of the bolt, the very sharp tooth of the bolt lugs would strike the nose of the mag follower as the angle was different... just lowering the magazine catch shelf did not work for me... I got the ETS mags I like to use working finally, but in doing so with the PCC out of action, shot a USPSA match with the stock G17, the first pistol match I've shot in 3 years...I had forgotten how much fun it was to shoot a stock pistol

I put together the Carry Optic as a proof of concept, as I believe that it is the gun of the future, for me at least... I have cataracts forming.... as I most likely stick a Trijicon RMR on the G45 or the extra G17 slide... regards Les

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 07:17:01 PM »
follow up on the CMMG AR9 PCC... ETS has produced a 40 round magazine.... got one and did the clearance job on the follower and mag body... holds 40 without a problem, and shot a mag full over a friend's new Lab Radar (radar chronograph) at practice...will shoot it tomorrow at the USPSA match

I have a birthday coming up, and I think I'll buy myself a Trijicon RMR 2 and have one of the Glock slides machined for it....

waiting for Palmetto State to make a run of the pencil barrel mid length uppers with front sight block...

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 08:28:00 AM »
had a good match Sunday with the radial delayed PCC and new 40 round ETS mag, ... worked fine, and you can load all 40 without a loading tool...I have a birthday coming up so ordered a present for myself... Trijicon RMR 2 and sent the G17 slide off to Battle Werx to have it machined....with the TLR-1 light, I think this is the perfect combination for a home defense pistol... I'll continue to use the Vortex Venom for a competition pistol as it has an Apex trigger... happy birthday to me  8)

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:43:05 AM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 06:52:05 PM »
last follow up... the slide came back from Battle Werx... machining has outstanding mirror like finish, and well cut threads... the fore to aft fit of the slide cut is so precise that the sight must be perfectly vertical to insert... about 2 week turn around, $82 total

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 07:16:46 AM »
Pictures Les....pictures.  You know....guys like pictures....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 08:27:58 AM »
Rastus... since Photobucket held my pictures up for ransom at their "free" site, I haven't used another posting host...I'm going to try to cold blue it and add some protectant tonight... it closely resembles the finish on their site... I would recommend the service... $75 + 6.99 shipping... about 2 week turn around, and with USPS about 6 of that in travel time.. Les

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk