Author Topic: Elk season.  (Read 5398 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Elk season.
« on: October 03, 2019, 05:09:38 PM »
It's been 8 years since I have been.  Season starts the 23.  I can't wait. Headed to the range now to check out the zero on my 257 weatherby  mag.    While yes it is a bit small, it works just fine.  A client gave it too me years ago.  It was one of the original  weatherby, converted from a mouser by the man himself.   It's been to Africa  twice as the man was a big time Hunter.  The taxidermy in his den would put a calbelas store to shame.  He passed on awhile back.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Elk season.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 05:57:31 PM »
Gosh TAB, I guess I might be foolish, but the thought I got reading your post is that your client's spirit lives on each time that special rifle goes hunting.  Be sure to pass it on to another hunter...perhaps yours will join his for those future hunts......
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 07:21:55 PM »
Who knows, this trip is more about just getting out there.   My uncle has said I can store all the meat in his freezer,  which means he will take half. Him and of his few friends all have bow tags.    I though about taking my guide gun, but I don't have enough rounds thru it to trust myself with a 150-250 yard shot open sights.  The weatherby is a 2 moa gun.  Which was very good back in the 50s when it was converted.   I shot a 5 shot group at 5.25" at 200 yards today.  Which is great for this rifle , it's been 6 years since I have shot it. I did have to re zero it. 

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 08:13:40 PM »
So Tab, what kind of a scope is on it?  That may contribute to some of the moa you are seeing.  Also, those older scope rings (assuming of course and old scope and all) may need to be lapped and centere...might just tighten up your group.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 07:24:32 AM »
It has a Swarovski that is at least 20 years old. The moa, is from throat erosion.  The 257 weatherby mag is a heavily over driven round.  Does not help that it's a 1 and 12 twist and not a 1 in 10 like most modern. 257 are.  It means 115 grain max bullet weight 110 are nice

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:57:01 PM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 06:35:57 AM »
I gotcha.  I have wanted a 257 Weatherby after reading about them in Field and Stream or Outdoor Life when I was a kid.  It's a dang sure speedy dude and it retains velocity better than the 264 Winchester.  It's significantly faster than the 25-06 and the .243 pales in comparison to either of those. 

I see quite a few on Gunbroker.  Which interests me, but I think you keyed in an important thing you can't guarantee on Gunbroker...throat erosion.  I wonder how many rounds it takes...500-600 to start having an issue?  Practically, I doubt 90% of the guns made have had more than 100 rounds or so through them but my luck I'd get one that had several hundred through it.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 09:31:38 PM »
Just make sure you get a modern 1 in 10 not the 1 in 12 like the older guns had.

I don't know when it becomes in issue, but I doubt most guns will ever get too that point.  Ammo  is not cheap.  The weatherby brand use to be made just up the street from me at nosler.  So I could go there and buy it way cheaper then retail.  1 box of ammo over a hunting season.   Does it really matter if it's 25% more then the same box in say 308?   I mean if $15 means you can't hunt this year, you really need to not be buying high end ammo.  Remington corelokt  has killed more deer then any other

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 09:03:37 AM »
You caused me to do some research.  Your 257 Weatherby Mag is a good 200 FPS faster than a 25-06 and 250 FPS faster than the 25 WSSM...forget the 257 Roberts or Savage they aren't even in the game.

For 150 FPS...I don't get real excited but when you stretch that to 200 magic starts to happen...or at least that's what is stuck in my mind.  I'm still going to have to do a little ballistics research to see if it matters for where I'll be shooting it.  Regardless, you've got me pining for a 257 now and because I'm putting fences in and fixing a roof right now I'm gonna have to wait and suffer.  Dang you and your 257 Weatherby Mag....

I used the Nosler page for bullet comparisons.  It's really good because you can focus on a bullet diameter and get a drop down on the rounds for that particular diameter:  https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/25-winchester-super-short-magnum-wssm/

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 07:11:38 AM »
I try.   The local toy store( aka class 3 dealer) just got a accuracy international axmc in 338 lupua.  It was very, very hard not to have it follow me home.  I know they are $$$$ and the scope to go with it is the same, but  what a rifle.   

He knew exactly what he was doing when it handed it too me.   

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 05:20:36 PM »
<snip>He knew exactly what he was doing when it handed it too me.

You betcha'...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk