Author Topic: Story of my life  (Read 8561 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Story of my life
« on: December 08, 2019, 06:10:02 AM »
After much thinking, i finally found something i want to build....  only to find out they no longer sell the kit or plans..  grrrrr
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
Re: Story of my life
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 08:37:03 AM »
After much thinking, i finally found something i want to build....  only to find out they no longer sell the kit or plans..  grrrrr

Yeah, I went that route when I wanted to build an FAL. By the time I got the money together, all of the $199-no-receiver kits were long gone.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 01:30:40 PM »
So TAB, what do you want to build?  Inquiring minds want to know.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 03:27:39 PM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 04:26:52 PM »
Looks similar to the Long EZ John Denver was flying. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:56:59 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 05:06:24 PM »
Gosh, when I got my pilots license back in the early 70, I was interested in building a BEDE-5, but never followed through.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bede_Aircraft
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 05:52:26 PM »
Looks similar to the Long EZ John Denver was flying.

Thats about where the similarities  end.   Thr long ez is built from foam cut to shape and covered in glass.   This is a moulded air craft using mainly carbon fiber. Ronneberg, worked  with/ for rutan, for years.   

John denver did die in a long ez.  One where the fuel selector swtich was install behind the pilot fmso that thr passenger could work it.  It was also mislabled( backwards iiirc)   the offical report from the faa said that after running out of fuel, he tried to reach the lever and gabe a right rudder imput.  There was some other things like you had to use a mirror on a stick to even see the gauge.  Sad deal.   

Preduction ened in 2002 amd the lady that ultimately  owned the design died in 2009.  No one has a complete plan set with lofting and lay ups.   If those were to exhist you could produce a plug and a mould.   You could theoretically reverse engineer  it from an actual air craft( there were 30 something registered).  It is possible to   build a plug, then mould and rengineer the lay up.

Modern 3d maping and cnc  technology, could rough out a foam in 1000s of man hours less then it would take by measurements amd hand carving.   Still  easily 1000 man hours and 50-10k in maping/ cnc and supplies.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 06:56:27 AM »
220 MPH cruise speed.  Nice.  I dipped into Wikipedia and the Velocity XL looks really nice.  I used to fancy I wanted to fly one of those pushers but no longer....you should do this.  Pick one....and when you go to Oklahoma to visit folks you'll need to call and buzz me at Skiatook Lake.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 07:25:17 AM »
Gosh, when I got my pilots license back in the early 70, I was interested in building a BEDE-5, but never followed through.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bede_Aircraft
   in 2001 i was just the solo away from getting mine.

I will be unemployed as of jan 1.  I have already bee. Looking for property  ao i can buils a house on.  I figure step one is build the shop, step 2 build the house, step 3 is where i get lost.  Which is why i figured i would  build a plane.   About the only thing with a motor that i have not built is plane. 

I had a very long talk with the misses about what to do.  She does not want me to work 80+ weeks.  We finally sat down beforr thanks giving and had the "money" talk.    When we were dating she was complaining about  her taxes, so i showed her mine.  She never asked or complained about taxes or money again.     She jokingly hinted i should buy her a new car for xmas... so i did., its a micro rc bmw.    I am not sure if she will like it...

Then again the 1st car i bought her i had craned into a friends back yard for an xmas party.  She was super mad she could not drive it home.( i didnt thibk about that when i did it)  so she might be wondering when the real thing is going to show up.   She is actually getting something that costs thousands, but is worthless to any one else but us

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 07:35:56 AM »
220 MPH cruise speed.  Nice.  I dipped into Wikipedia and the Velocity XL looks really nice.  I used to fancy I wanted to fly one of those pushers but no longer....you should do this.  Pick one....and when you go to Oklahoma to visit folks you'll need to call and buzz me at Skiatook Lake.8

Cant, no kits or plans out there.  I mean i might be able to find an aborted kit out there, they dont exaclty grow on trees.  Not found any other planes that really intrest me that are not way above my budget.    I wanted something fast, realtively stable, sub house priced, fuel efficient, retracts and uncommon.  The berkut checked all the boxes, plus being aerobatic rated ( 10 gs + and  -) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk