Author Topic: Story of my life  (Read 8562 times)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Story of my life
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 02:28:45 PM »
I started Ground School a couple of weeks ago and I am 'planning' on doing the Flight School at one of the schools that does it all in 2 weeks, just don't tell the wife-she's not on board yet due to my lack of grace. I'm partial to the STOL planes myself and really like the SuperCub Revsion 2  8)
He who dares wins.  SAS

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 09:49:26 PM »
My girls xmas gift just showed up.

Its the xray of my shoulder hanging out of the socket when we 1st met in the er.  I already have a nice frame picked out and a nickel plate inscribed with the date.     Going to build a small led lit box behind it. 

Like i said costs thousands, but worthless to any one else but us.   It will be 15 years toegther in jan. ( where the hell did the tine go?)

I have a few other things, stashed and a handfull coming. 

Now her brithday, i have plans for that, but i need to figure out her schelgde, which means some time in jan i need to go talk to her staff and bring food.  I will get all the info i need for that.  I can not ask her directly or she will figure it out.  Its easy, "your asking about my days off around my birthday...we are going on a trip"

Ps i know she does not read the forums so i can post this stuff.  She knows i would not take it well if she was to go snooping.  I am an open book, just ask.  If you can not trust some one you cam not be in a relationship  with them.  If i lost trust in her, its done.   I know thats black and white, but thats how i am.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 09:59:31 AM »
Wow TAB!  15 years! 

I remember the event and wondered if your type of Avatar picture...it did not. 

Looks like good work on the gifts  =)

And I agree with your view on Trust.

"Without Truth there is no Trust. Without Trust there is no Love. Without Love there is nothing."
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 07:05:39 PM »
15 years.  Quite an accomplishment and a simply spectacular gift idea. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 08:09:08 PM »
I actually debated about.paying off her student loan, but its an attrition  loan, so paying it off early does nothing.   

She only has ~4 more years, at $7821.18 a month.   At least it comes off before taxes.     She borrowed 600k, but will have to pay back 1.8 mill.

She got like 200k in scholarships and grants.  Or it would have been way more.   Thibk about that next time you get a dr bill.

Its gross, they have you bent over and they know it. 

Her bring home is less then the average income..    she did just take a 60k a year pay cut, but she is working where she wants too. 

I am not going to lie, i got too the point i am at now, by lots of hard work, and a ceap ton of kust dumb luck

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:01:00 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 08:40:09 PM »
School loans are a bad deal.  "Institutions" of higher learning are way outpriced.  I hate to hear of that burden. 

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 10:54:53 PM »
School loans are a bad deal.  "Institutions" of higher learning are way outpriced.  I hate to hear of that burden.

We have a shortage of doctors now.   Med school, even at a state school starts at 100k a year and its 3 years.  Not many can drop a house on education.   The good news is the feds will pay it off after 10 years working for a non profit.   Which is good, but out side if places like Kaiser, if you did not go to a big name school and were in the top 10% you are not gettinng that job.  The miltary is also an option, but you have to have the right speciality  and be willing to spend 5 years there.  The good news is your loans are covered  while there and are paid off when done.

Sarah went to stanford for both under grad and medical school.    Her father went to Hopkins  and trust me the sob likes to remind every one of that.  Then again he has 2 phd and is a radiological  pharmacist.  He litterly makes the kemo.  He would not help her pay for school, but paid for her younger sisters.( who is a botanist)I never asked why, i knew it was better to not go there.  We dont get along and i do a very good job of demasculating him.  I dont try too i just do.   For the longest time he thought i was just a grunt... i so want yo send him a pic of my checking account balance before i started moving it around and investing.   
Its best if he does not know i made any money selling the company.  I know he was not happy about me not going to work after the 1st of the year. I can just hear him now " my duaghter shouod not be taking care of that lazy bum... he needs to get a job to contribute to the house hold "   
Now my mother in law loves me. She loves the fact that i can build a home for us with my own 2 hands. 

I  got $100 my freshmen year, everything else i paid, from the sweat of my brow and strength of my back.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 07:32:40 AM »
You are a great example of hard work.  I've raised my boys to work and impressed on them that they can make it big in something they like if they work hard.....and that it does not have to include going to college.   I also raised them to know if they like digging ditches and are happy with the pay that's what they should do however all of this is based upon their God given talents which they should use. 

So two went to college....well, one graduates in Pet. Eng this spring and the other is teaching and coaching football.  Their brother is...working with a company building houses making a good living. 

Let your pa-in-law think whatever he wants.  From what you have said he had plans for his daughter that she didn't quite follow....you may remind him it is her life and not his.  Of course, if he pisses you off this holiday season you could tell him that you wanted to pay off her school loan then tell him why it was a better idea to not do that....that's a good way to let him know he's not needed.

We need more doctors.  I think some of what they go through is ridiculous and crazy.  I have a couple of doctor friends who talk about interning and the hours they slaved through.  It's "old school" which may shake some low or no quality people out but good people often don't put up with it either.  It's the instructor/manager's job to be blunt and keep poor performers out and everyone else shouldn't be abused to weed out the unworthy.  But I rant.....

Another rant is how Bill Clinton tied federal funds to medical schools.  He had the federal government impose student enrollment ceilings on the med schools and if they went over in enrollment the $$$$'s went down or were withdrawn.  This was an medical lobby initiative covered with a veil that told people it was to maintain doctor quality and not to maintain high salaries by changing the supply/demand curve.....

I want smart doctors.  But I know good doctors who aren't close to the smartest people I know or who are the hardest working.  They also don't like to see non-doctors making more money then they do....

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 11:03:49 PM »
I was a structural engineer, could noy handle office  politics  and lack of accountability, so i quit.  Became an officer in the coast guard, got injury, was given a choice of ride a desk to no where( soo as my time was up i was gone no chance of promotion)  or take a medical.  So i got out and was a boomer for awhile.   Made enough to buy some toys and flip a few houses.  Found a hot red head doc that only once have i made leas than her ( 2008)   

What i tell young people.  Dont go to school for what you like.  Go for what you find you are good in and can make a living at.  Dont go for the bs they tell you.  Look at real world numbers.   How much they make, how many arr needed and how many are there looking for that job.   I got my degree  in math,with heavy engeneering ( i did qualify for the pe test)  which was not even close what i wantes when i got to college.  I wanted to be a hs physics teacher.  I had a great one, infacr the year after i garduated hs, he was named the best science  teacher in the nation. Once i started ece, i learned the bs and me would not agree.   
 I also tell them, its not what you know, its who.  Make contacts, talk to people.

If you are in the service industry, you have to sell yourself.  They can get the same service down the street, what theu cant get it is you.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2019, 06:27:30 AM »
<snip>
If you are in the service industry, you have to sell yourself.  They can get the same service down the street, what theu cant get it is you.
I have never quite heard it put like this.  Brilliant.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk