Author Topic: DPMS LR 308 bipod conversion  (Read 4157 times)

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DPMS LR 308 bipod conversion
« on: January 19, 2020, 10:03:51 AM »
Question?
I have a DPMS LR 308, that has the standard front post for a sling or bipod mount.
Does anyone know if there is a way to mount a rail at that point, without seriously changing
the handguard so a rail mounted bipod can be attached?

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: DPMS LR 308 bipod conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 09:24:54 PM »
robert... the Ruger Charger (.22lr 10/22 pistol) comes with an adapter that attaches a bi-pod to the fore end ... the adapter is tubular and threaded... it fits over and attaches by a threaded pin through the original hole in the a swivel stud... a knurled thumb screw then attaches a short piece of rail and is held in place by finger tightening... the bi-pod is attached to the short piece of rail

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 05:49:52 PM »
Thank you for your response.
The Ruger attachment won't work with a aluminum handguard that the lr 308 has.
I did find a Pic Rail adapter from Caldwell, item 156716 that looked like it would work.
I ordered one, and just installed it.  Installation was very easy, very tight, with zero play.
So, when the new bipod arrives, I will test it.  I have several Harris bipods, but I feel that
they are too lightweight for a 13# .308 AR10.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 10:20:00 PM »
We need pics.  Also as an aside, I have a Rock River (before their infamous mistake)  308 with a 26" barrel and it's dang heavy and my Harris bipods fail.  So yes, you are thinking right I'd say.  Let us know how plan B goes I need to install a plan B.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 10:57:27 PM »
I have pictures of the attachment and bipod, but I am unable to upload them for some reason.
The mount is from Caldwell, product # 156716, and the bipod is from Leapers, UTG big bore bipod, model TL-BPFS01.
It is very heavy duty, and it is aluminum, heavy duty.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:51:31 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1085
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 11:56:04 PM »
I haven't been able to upload pictures since, hmm, 2018? I can't find the bipod, but is this the bipod adaptor?

https://www.caldwellshooting.com/rests/bipods/pic-rail-adaptor-plate/156716.html

They also have another adaptor to adapt the first adaptor back to a sling swivel. ;D

https://www.caldwellshooting.com/rests/bipods/bipod-adaptor-for-picatinny-rail/535423.html#start=1

P.S. If you buy enough adaptors you won't even need a bipod. You'll have a monopod that's height adjustable by adding or removing adaptors. See, I've got this all figured out.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 01:14:20 AM »
Yes, that is the adapter.  Installation was very easy, and with the new bipod, it works very well.
By the way, Midway had the bipod on sale, and it is solid, and very strong (also alot heavier than any of my Harris bipods.)
I will try it out the next trip to the range.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk