Author Topic: 6.5 prc  (Read 6068 times)

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
6.5 prc
« on: February 11, 2020, 11:07:10 PM »
Well, once again the new rifle bug struck.
I have decided on a Ruger precision 6.5 prc.
I will get the rifle in about 2 weeks, but in the meantime have been acquiring all of the necessary other items.
I already have a scope and mounts, so I got the die sets (RCBS and Redding), the Wilson case holder for their trimmer, Ergo palm grip, 20 factory loads (147 grain Hornady loads), and 100 new cases.  Powder needs to be of the slower variety, H1000, Retumbo, IMR 7977, IMR 8133.  I have loaded 50 rounds up with the 140 grain Hornadys with IMR 7977 for the barrel break in procedure.

So, here I go again.

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: 6.5 prc
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 10:39:15 AM »
Installed the Timney trigger on the new rifle.  It is a far better trigger in that I can set (and did) to the same trigger pull that I have on my AR-10, 2 stage, 1# first, 6 ounces 2nd.
50 rounds into the break in process, shooting 4 rounds between cleaning.
Barrel is great, shooting 4 round groups, 140 grain and 143 g Hornady ELD Match into groups of .250 at 100.
I would post pictures, but can't seem to do that.
I would expect the first round out of a clean barrel to be a little out of the group, but does not do that.
I am shooting reloads at about 2600 fps, but I have not chronographed them as yet.  That comes after I start working up loads.  I want to shoot 143-147 grain bullets at around 2800 fps.
So far all is well.  I have found that the freebore is a lot shorter than factory loads seating depth.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 07:51:57 AM »
OK...I don't know anything about 6's.  Why the PRC over the 6.5 Creedmore?

Bud dang those things are expensive...the Ruger Precisions.  Are they really that good?

I was looking at the 300 Win Mag and it's over 2k list...I saw buy it nows for $1,650.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 08:48:18 PM »
Well, I was doing a reply, and then it all went away.
The real advantage of the PRC over the Creedmore is 200-250 fps more velocity, which at over 1200 yrds is quite a bit, ballistically.  My rifle is a real shooter, but I did run into a problem. Hornady factory match with 147 grain bullets COL is 2.950.  My rifle will only allow a seating depth of 2.800, with .015 off the lands.  I noticed pressure signs with the factory loads (extractor marks) but with my loads at 2.800 it is a real shooter.  I only have 50 rnds with reloads shot now, but at the next excursion I will finish up the break-in of the barrel.

Also I got mine at 1300.00, but then I had to get dies, brass, bullets, timney trigger, and high rings.  I already had the scope. I ordered the proper bore guide for cleaning.
Brass is only from Hornady.  I asked Starline if they are going to make it.  (I hope)
All in all, I am very impressed with the rifle.  But, it is a range rifle, very heavy at 13 + pounds.
A  heavy duty bipod is a necessity if shooting prone.  With the weight of the rifle, recoil is no problem.

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 01:09:18 AM »
well, I really wanted to go to the range to shoot the 6.5.
But, the range has been closed for the virus situation. 
So I guess I can just maintain the equipment.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:44:39 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 07:59:36 PM »
That's a shame.  Not to rub it in, but..   8)  I'm going to put a 17HMR and a 22Mag downrange tomorrow to get the final sight in.  They are on paper....but not perfect...

Well, it will be opened soon enough...I hope.  I heard that the interstates are going to be shutdown this weekend and....

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 12:42:13 AM »
With regards to the 17HMR.
I really like the cartridge.
I have 2 bolt savage heavy barreled rifles that are excellent shooters.
I have inexpensive 20 x scopes on them, and with Hornady 17 grain and 20 grain bullets they will put 10 rnds at 100 yds dime size grp. Witnessed, I have the target, shot on a still summer day.
An excellent 125-150 yd ground squirrel round, as long as the wind isn't too bad.
The grandkids like them, and as long as grndpaw supplies ammo.
That is the only drawback if you are used to .22 ammo costs, the 17HMR is around .20- .25 a shot.
I have found that the A17 ammo is 125 fps faster than the standard Hornady, chronographed.
Try a couple of brands, and then buy it if you can find it on sale.
I also have 2 semis by Savage, 1 stock barrel, one heavy barrel. They like the A17 ammo, but my very big complaint is their lousy trigger. I mean a poorly designed trigger.  It looks like a accutrigger, and
is adjusted like one, but it is NOT an accutrigger. Easy to clean, need a .17 cal rod,rush, patches.
Nuff said, it is a really fun cartridge, far more accurate than most .22's.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 02:33:45 AM »
I bought a Savage semi heavy barrel recently.  It lives with several brethren in a big steel box.  I am getting split necks when I fire it.  I think that's a problem with the gun. 

I'll have time to put it on paper on from a bag at 100 yards this week.  If there's an accuracy problem I'll know to send it back....dadgumit.

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 08:18:59 AM »
No, the problem is with the ammo.
Check who the mfg is.  If it is Hornady, they had a problem.
The problem was they could not get the cases annealed right.
CCI was making the cases for them.
Anyway, I had the same problem.  I bought some new ammo, different lot # and the problem went away.
I contacted Hornady, and they have a 10 year warranty on their ammo.
I gave them the lot # off the box of ammo.  I had 3 or 4 different lot #'s.
Anyway, they determined they had a problem.
They paid to send them all the old ammo, and they replaced it.
I had 3500 rounds that was bad, and they sent all new.
The new stuff is fine.
The old ammo split cases in 3 rifles.  Check your unfired cases to see if the necks are cracked, before firing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk