Author Topic: Birthday gift ideas  (Read 8710 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Birthday gift ideas
« on: March 29, 2020, 03:20:38 PM »
So with the kung flu all my goto bday gift ideas for the misses are not possible.   I had planned on a trip to the south pacific, but naturally  thats out at this point.  I went super cheap at xmas, but it was a meaningful gift too her.

Any one have any ideas?

I dont want to do the shiny thing.  She likes them, but almost  never wears them.   

All of my ideas are repeats or not practical( we are in a rental until i find some property and build a house, so doing somethung on the house is not an option)
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Timothy

Re: Birthday gift ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 07:02:19 PM »
A nice hardwood cribbage board!

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 07:28:31 PM »
Does she have any family pictures, award certificates or other treasured memorabilia put up because she doesn't have anything to display it in?

If so...then maybe that. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 09:12:16 PM »
Does she have any family pictures, award certificates or other treasured memorabilia put up because she doesn't have anything to display it in?

If so...then maybe that.

That was xmas lol

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 09:22:32 PM »
Get a scrapbook, and lay out the entire dream vacation for her.  Then do a full candle light dinner at home, and giver the trip plan.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:31:24 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 09:27:35 PM »
Get a scrapbook, and lay out the entire dream vacation for her.  Then do a full candle light dinner at home, and giver the trip plan.

Her idea of a dream vacation  is to stay at home , sleep in and get breakfest  in bed.   Not exactly exciting.

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 10:43:09 PM »
Breakfast over a cribbage game!

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 02:11:18 AM »
You guys got pets?  Maybe a pet?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 08:38:38 AM »
Tab, Mrs. Rabbit and I have been married coming up on 33 years.  Since we were an "item" before engaging in matrimony, there's been around 35 birthdays, Christmases, anniversaries, and Valentine's Days that seemingly required acknowledgement with some sort of gift.

Here's what I have observed through the years.  The first ten or so saw thoughtful, tasteful gifts, frequently involving precious metals and attractive crystalline embellishments.  Then there came a time when Bunny said, don't get me any more jewelry, I hardly ever wear it.  Bunny was an OR Nurse at that time and had to remove her rings before putting on her latex gloves.  It was a hassle she didn't need and so stopped wearing rings on work days--then on non-work days. So, jewelry was no longer an option.

That was okay because I view jewelry as a non-performing asset.  If I am going to spend a large sum of money, I'd like to get a return on said investment.  That said, stock certificates are not particularly attractive birthday gifts.

Through the second decade, gifts became more travel oriented.  A couple of trips to Peru, a year spent in Asia (mostly Thailand, but also Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia and various surrounding countries).  That was more than a trip as we taught English as a Second Language classes to defray expenses.  Then, Bunny wanted to take some trips that I wasn't particularly interested in taking.  I sent her to Mongolia, and Africa (I would have enjoyed a hunting safari, but Bunny had recently seen the story about that dentist shooting an old lion and my hunting would have caused a rift).  We have also traveled to the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Ecuador, Colombia, and various other Central and South American locales.  And we make annual pilgrimages to Maui to visit the grandkids. The current Covid 19 situation makes those kinds of adventures impossible.

By the time we approached our third decade, we had everything we needed in a material sense.  If Bunny wants a new tennis racquet or something, she buys it.  Gifts are almost an impossibility because there is nothing either of us needs, and not that much that we want.  So, gifting took on a different slant.  I am a pretty capable chef, so for a couple of years celebrations involved my putting together some sort of elaborate feast with a few bottles of excellent vintage wine.

But, as we become more senior and less active, we have also become more calorie conscious.  Elaborate feasts are fewer and less elaborate.  For the most part, those annual celebrations have been reduced to an exchange of cards with touching notes included.

What I am saying, Tab, is unless you have specific knowledge about something your wife has wanted but has denied herself, no gifts are needed.  The fact that you have shared so much of your life in love's warm embrace isn't enhanced or improved by a gift.  Certainly, you will want to acknowledge the celebratory day with a card or some flowers, but there comes a point where gifts are superfluous.  Maybe you two have reached that point.  If you haven't yet reached that point, my wish for you is that you will. 

Good luck,
Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 12:56:14 PM »
You guys got pets?  Maybe a pet?

No pets.  I will eventuality get back i to aquariums, but have to build a house 1st.

Being in a rental extremely limits us, but it has to be this way.  I dont want to buy a house only to sell it 6 months to a year down the road.

I know she would  like a new luxury  car, but thats not something I would ever pay for.   I will never buy a new vechicle  unless its for work.  Her last car i tried to talk  her into a 1 year old  car with 9k, but she wanted new.    So i told her, here is 20k.  Anything over that, you pay for.

I have spoiled  her in my gifts are almost  always made by my hands or have extreme meaning too us. 

Reality is i can buy her any thing she wants.  With her just taking an almost 80k pay cut and 4 more years left on her stundent loan, she really cant.   Her bring home is not much more that the national average.  Luckly, all ahe has to pay for are her expenses as i cover the house hold costs. 

Almost 10 years ago, i was helping her do her taxes, she complained about how much she had to pay.   I showed her my completed schelgde  c for that year and the break down on a spread sheet.   She never complained about t agian.  Shortly after thabksgiving  we talked about the numbers envoled in the sale of my business.  That was only the 3rd time we ever talked about money in  15 years.  I was actually looking forward to the trip
  In our entrie time together, we have taken 3.  1 was the honey moon, whixh was 4 days. The 2nd was a trip to meet her parents that was 3 days.  The last was 2 years ago to her sisters wedding.  It was 4 days.    I have not really had days off.  Seeing me at home when the sun was up either ment something bad happened or the weather shut me down.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk