Author Topic: Rimfire Challenge  (Read 8310 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Rimfire Challenge
« on: March 31, 2020, 10:59:50 AM »
As I posted over on another area, Rimfire Challenge has caught my eye again.

I have been taking advantage of this whole COVID-19 thing to do some things around the house.  I'm working from home, so I am busy during my work hours.  However, since no one is watching, I actually take my coffee breaks and take a lunch break.  I also have found an additional two hours in my day that was lost to traffic, getting gas, and moving work items in and out of the car.  And then there is the no shopping.  I picked up most of the groceries, and now we just have them delivered - SWEEEEEEEET!!!

Now I have some time to devote to some gun prep.  I have two Ruger Mark III Targets.  One is set up for bullseye, and I am going to set the other up for the Challenge.  Somewhere in my gun stuff is a pair of plain rosewood grip panels I bought to replace the original thumb rest panels.  Then will be a red dot.  Ooooooh, the shopping fun!

The next will be to give the old 10/22 an upgrade.  Of all my .22's I didn't realize that this is my only semi-automatic.  It is a good old gun.  Your basic '70s blue and wood with a tapered barrel, and Ruger's ugly trigger group.  I'm planning to put in a new trigger, probably a Timney or Volquartsen drop in.  Then will be replacing the Simmons 10/22 scope with a new red dot - Most likely identical to the one that goes on the Mark III.

Final step will be where I notice this move to the city the most.  Range time to dial in both a round that both guns like, will eat without fail and group well, dial in the dots, and practice before first match.  I know I will say it a lot, but I sure miss my backyard range!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: Rimfire Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 11:14:13 AM »
What kind of dot for the 10/22???? I suspect I should look it up myself but I'm lazy.  I'm going to outfit that Blue 10/22 I got.  The Cmore's are kinda expensive but you can change out the laser diodes so maybe that will be the way I go.

For a pistol I'll stick with the Buckmark I have now with the TacSol barrel and it's got the cheap Browning dot on it.  I used it at the Rimfire Challenge many years ago at USSA.  Problem was I got the dot in on a Saturday morning and used it same day....that does not work well.

You guys must be selling a lot of meat..... 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 12:13:06 PM »
Haven't decided yet.  I have a nice Burris 235 on the Bullseye gun, but they have discontinued that.  I think I will go with a tube style rather than the open, but I don't know why.

Got sidetracked with 10/22 upgrades, and that squirrel distracted me from looking at optics.

The last two weeks it has been crazy.  More than double our normal average, and even higher than our traditional busiest week of the year.  This week the meat business is starting to slow.  Prices have gone high due to panic buying out doing supply.  A lot of freezers have been emptied, because the fresh wasn't available.  For the last week our buyers have been pulling back.  Don't want to get caught with coolers, freezers, and incoming orders stuffed with over priced meat when the prices go back to normal.  Beef is showing signs of dropping today.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 05:19:43 PM »
I have a Vortex Sparc II that is nice....are you looking for a dot with laser or just a dot?

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 10:01:21 PM »
if you decide to go with the USPSA Steel Challenge matches, give me a shout.. just built a BRN22 (10/22) in a PMACA chassis so I could use AR stock and grip...it and my 9mm PCC use the same sight, a 3 min Vortex Venom on a LMT 1/2" riser so not have as much blocking the field of view... I do get a little wash out on very bright days, but most of my shooting for the .22 is in a bunker

in the mid 90's I built a 10/22 for the Chevy Truck Sportsman's Team Challenge and fashioned a fixture to do triggers... the Ruger BX plastic trigger in the current rifle is not that bad, especially counting for the speed you need to shoot relatively big targets at close distances....the familiar AR Hogue grip helps with trigger control

a suggestion... go with factory 10 round rotary magazines as the aftermarket Ruger 15 and 25 round magazines are shorter front to rear, and are not 100% in either my Charger or BRN22

if you get first round flyers... lock down your firing pin so it doesn't have any vertical movement... if you need minute of angle groups, a barrel tuner works well... even on a .22

I get good luck with CCI Blazer, which is pretty cheap

Les

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:52:16 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 05:02:02 AM »
I have a Vortex Sparc II that is nice....are you looking for a dot with laser or just a dot?

Just a dot

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 05:06:33 AM »
if you decide to go with the USPSA Steel Challenge matches, give me a shout.. just built a BRN22 (10/22) in a PMACA chassis so I could use AR stock and grip...it and my 9mm PCC use the same sight, a 3 min Vortex Venom on a LMT 1/2" riser so not have as much blocking the field of view... I do get a little wash out on very bright days, but most of my shooting for the .22 is in a bunker

in the mid 90's I built a 10/22 for the Chevy Truck Sportsman's Team Challenge and fashioned a fixture to do triggers... the Ruger BX plastic trigger in the current rifle is not that bad, especially counting for the speed you need to shoot relatively big targets at close distances....the familiar AR Hogue grip helps with trigger control

a suggestion... go with factory 10 round rotary magazines as the aftermarket Ruger 15 and 25 round magazines are shorter front to rear, and are not 100% in either my Charger or BRN22

if you get first round flyers... lock down your firing pin so it doesn't have any vertical movement... if you need minute of angle groups, a barrel tuner works well... even on a .22

I get good luck with CCI Blazer, which is pretty cheap

Les

Thanks for the info and advice Les!

For magazines in the 10/22 I look for the factory.  I have looked at several aftermarket, and have not found one that matches in quality to Ruger.  I have never bought an aftermarket, but have talked to people that did, and everyone of them had stories of wear (plastic lips rather than steel) and failure to feed.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 06:58:25 PM »
Yeah,a the Venom will be much better then the suggestion that I had.  It's on sale today only for $180.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-venom-red-dot-top-load-3-moa-dot.html

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 10:06:54 PM »
Mike... I bought 2 3packs of 10 round rotary mags, two of six were not reliable, luckily I had a couple of the originals from the 90s... by taping the rear and sides of the factory Ruger 15 and 25 rounders, I got much better results.... the ejector is on the feed lip, and the loose fit seems to be the problem, shortening the feed lip seems to have made the two mags more reliable... I have 6 good mags for a match, so use two for practice magazines

Rastus, I have both the Venom and Sparc II dots... the Venom uses the smaller 1632 coin battery and the SPARC a 2032... naturally the 2032 gives better life... I leave my dot on the entire duration of a match, usually 3 1/2 hours or so.... the enclosed SPARC doesn't get washed out, but does block more of the field of view.... much more critical for me on the Steel Challenge than USPSA PCC

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 05:27:58 AM »
That's what I was thinking...duh I shoulda never put the Sparc forward for this.  So Les are you going to head over to Fort Smith for the challenge this fall?  Mike is planning on it and I am too.

Coronavirus permitting....of course?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk