Author Topic: New hunting rifle.  (Read 2444 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
New hunting rifle.
« on: April 11, 2020, 07:25:07 PM »
With montana rifle companies recent closure( feb this year)   i am not sure where to go for a reasonable  hunting rifle.   Dakota would be awesome, but not 7k awesome.

Looking for 30.06 as with loading i can do everthing from prog horn to elk.

Its one of those things, been talking back and forth with  family and we have at least 5 hunting trips planed for the fall .
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: New hunting rifle.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 07:53:47 AM »
Be Fierce:  http://www.fiercearms.com/  I have several friends who own these and they are all tack drivers.  I will be buying one as soon as I quit building in Arkansas and have the spare scratch.  No wood stocks...super light if that's what you want.   I nearly bought one last fall when I was hanging out in Wyoming....Fierce will be my next new rifle when I get one.

Here is the only one I see in 30-06.  https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853674783
I suppose you can order one in 30-06 like you want.  I don't see it as a round listed on their website.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 09:21:55 AM »
Years ago, I read about using a pellet of the right sized buckshot in the neck of a 30-06 for small game hunting...

Never tried it.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 01:42:39 PM »
Wood stocks is a must for me.  I am also ok with a heavier  gun.   I am not a fan of shooting the sub 5 lb guns.  Great to carry, but no fun to shoot.   I want the flexibly  to load it to ne able to hunt everything in north america outside of say a moose or brown bear.  Not that a 30.06 would nt work for those, only that i would want something bigger.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 12:34:54 AM »
Years ago, I read about using a pellet of the right sized buckshot in the neck of a 30-06 for small game hunting...

Never tried it.

I read that too, a long time ago. It was #1 Buck, .30", 11 pellets per ounce. No idea what powder or how much, but it used to be listed and sill might be.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:13:26 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 02:35:27 PM »
Check out Rock Island Auctions. I've become a big fan.  :)

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 02:06:41 PM »
TAB...price range? Look at the Remington Custom Shop. I have a 7mm Mag from them that is the single best bolt action rifle I have ever owned. Their prices start at two grand. For about half that, look at the Ruger Hawkeyes. You can get a Hunter Stainless with wood stocks in 30-06. I am a HUGE fan of the Hawkeye Guide Gun, but it comes with a laminate stock.

Heck, what I'd do is get the Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06, add a Boyd Circassian Walnut stock, a Timney Trigger and a graphite black cerakote job and call it a custom for under $2K!

mb
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 02:18:28 PM »
Would like to keep  it under 5 with a nice scope

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 02:58:51 PM »
Can anyone else tell that Mr. Bane turned 70?  His eyes have changed, and we all get to enjoy the Large Print Edition  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk