Author Topic: Ruger EC9s  (Read 5481 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Ruger EC9s
« on: April 20, 2020, 12:32:21 PM »
I bought my wife her first pistol back in late February. Our son bought one for his wife and my wife saw it and handled it (and liked the COLOR, go figure, because it matched her bicycle and several other things she has  ::) ) ...... Hey, in the end as long as it creates interest in and helps the decision to BUY A GUN, I'm game.

Anyway, she got the Ruger EC9s which is the compact 9mm which is just slightly larger than the LCP.

We got it at a local area shop in the city where my above-mentioned son works as a firefighter. The owner cuts him and the FD guys good deals and let us have the Ruger for $250.... (I also grabbed myself a PSA stripped lower and got out the door for $300 total after sales taxes for both).

https://ruger.com/products/ec9s/specSheets/13200.html

Now we just need some extended range time.

Due to circumstances, weather, bad timing by family illness among other things, we haven't had time to do any shooting.

The very week before all the Covid foolishness and the ammo run I did manage to get 500 rounds of Federal 115gr FMJ for practice when we get to it. SD rounds are harder to find, but availability is picking up. There is a shop about 50 miles away that is getting lots of ammo in every week and is sticking to normal prices and not gouging, but I haven't had time to get over that way.

Somewhere down the line a range report will show up.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Re: Ruger LC9c
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 03:17:44 PM »
How does the LC9 handle?  The LCP is a handful, because of the size.  Wondering about the 9.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Ruger EC9s
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 07:12:00 PM »
How does the LC9 handle?  The LCP is a handful, because of the size.  Wondering about the 9.

Brainfart Alert: I put LC9s in the OP when in actuality it is the EC9s. I have corrected the issue. The only real difference is the sights.

It's comfortable in my hand and she likes the grip. I should've bought myself one for pocket carry in 'certain areas' in place of my .38spl snub.

Neither of us have shot it yet, so we'll see about recoil.
If for some reason the recoil is too much, I'll look into a LCP or LCR and keep the EC9. I routinely shoot a G27 with +P  ammo with no issue, so this in a standard 9mm shouldn't be difficult.

The same d-i-l mentioned in the OP also has an SR9 and I really like the feel of it, but it is too big for my wife's small hands....hence the EC9s.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 07:49:59 PM »
Off topic...but,

I'm ten years into my LCR in .38 +p and it's great...never leave home without it!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 11:38:43 AM »
Off topic...but,

I'm ten years into my LCR in .38 +p and it's great...never leave home without it!

My J-Frame in .38 +p is easy to shoot, and even with more power, it is less felt recoil than the .380 in the LCP.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:04:03 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 01:40:59 PM »
With my color-blindness that looks like mint green, not turquoise. If it actually looked like turquoise I wouldn't mind having it, but that one just makes me think of mint ice cream. At least it's not pink. If you ended up keeping a pink pistol for yourself, the other guys at the range might laugh at you with your girly gun. Keep us posted.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 07:19:13 PM »
Maybe it's aqua, but you're right, probably mint green would've been a more accurate description....but turquoise is what Ruger calls it on the description page so that's what I put.   ;D  8)

I wouldn't have an issue carrying it. It'll shoot as good as a black one, I expect. Nobody gonna give me grief at the range since I own the range.  8)

It'd stay concealed until needed anyway (thinking along the lines of that line by English Bob in Unforgiven, "If you don't see it.....or, more particularly if you don't hear it.")

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 02:17:45 AM »
I imagine they all shoot the same regardless of color, but would prefer a more "tactical" color over whatever it is. Maybe Cerakote in Matte Brown, Highland Green, Sniper Grey, or something like that. Or better yet a two-tone. Some of the two-tone pistols look so good that when it wasn't in the holster you'd have it in your hand looking at it. ;) I'll be looking forward to a range report if TEOTWAWKI doesn't happen.

So far I'm still not carrying concealed, at least not far from my porch. Michigan is the 4th most expensive state to get and maintain a carry permit in, and I don't feel like paying for any more classes or permits. Carrying without a permit is a 3-year felony, so I don't want to do that either. 3 years in prison and a felony record for life just for exercising one of your rights is bullshit. Some murderers only serve 2 years but they want to throw good citizens in prison for 3 years if they have a pistol on them but no permit. If we ever get constitutional carry passed, or at least lower costs for concealed pistol licenses I'll get one. And I think I'll need to buy a 9mm. My .45s are too big and heavy, and although a .380 is better than no gun at all I wouldn't want it to be my primary.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 10:35:58 AM »
Mint Green, Aqua, Highland Green, Gray, Black ...

Damn!  We're starting to sound like a fashion guru discussing accessory colors to go with your new pumps  :'(

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 12:04:35 PM »
Mint Green, Aqua, Highland Green, Gray, Black ...

Damn!  We're starting to sound like a fashion guru discussing accessory colors to go with your new pumps  :'(

Agreed.....but if it gets more folks to buy guns it's good for business. Female gun buyers is one of the fastest growing markets so I get the business decision. I remember MB showing a SCCY 9mm in an episode of SG that was the same color.

I just shook my head when my d-i-l law first showed us the one she got. I knew some makers were doing colors other than standard black, but didn't know Ruger was doing it. My wife had been wanting to acquire her "own" gun for a while but hadn't settled on one yet. When she held the EC9 she said it felt good in her hands and the color was "more appealing" than plain old black.

So, here we are.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk