Author Topic: House plans  (Read 11702 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
Re: House plans
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2020, 07:04:29 AM »
Alright Tab....we need to see the barn plans/layout you have.   

I have yet to have learned anything about metal building specifications on the structures and sheet metal specs to make an apples to apples comparison between companies.  There's a lot of guys hawking buildings out there who are really just installer/reps and not building manufacturers.  But there are a couple of months remaining to make a decision since the foundation work needs to settle a few months.  The dirt guy that is working for us should get to the foundation work next week after he finishes the work around the old cinder block building that's going to be a guest apartment/shop. 

We flattened a slope for a patio/yard with 800+ yards of dirt.  This is one of those mission creep things that adds to the cost (50%).  I was going to be happy with 200 yards strategically placed but this work was inexpensive enough to keep on going once we started moving the fill....plus we wanted to expand the pond.  So...for around $7,500 we got the fill and top soil plus a pond a just over 1/2 acre in surface area and 20' max depth.  I think that is a reasonable price for what we got....whaddya' think Tab?

I have been perusing the internet and I've run up on an outfit called Morton Buildings.  I really like their designs but I have not settled due to the ongoing research on specs and costs.  I want to build something similar to what is on this link but expanded to around 50' wide by 70' long https://mortonbuildings.com/projects/roberts-storage-building .  We need room for the RV, boat, tractor and a car or two plus stuff from our current home.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2020, 10:50:02 AM »
I only  plans for the structure atm.   Its nothing crazy  44x 68. 2 14' high roll ups 3 doors and 12 sky lights

What you need to know about steel buildings is the wind rating.  You are in zone iv.  Which means 250 mph wind load.  Now this is not sustained  wind load but a gust of 3 seconds.  Most of your specs will be based off that.  Any one that says your fine with a wind rating of iii. Walk.   The preinsulated panels are not enough.  The come between 2.5-4"   at best it is r 4 per inch.  With 4" it is r 16, but with out a radiant  barrier( no the metal does not work like that, any one that says it does walk) it will still be an oven.  There are ceramic  based paints you can buy to do that.  They are awesome, but bohic.  Its about $30 a sqft for just the material.  But you can spray it on a container and drop the inside temp 30-40 degrees.

I know i pm ed you my number, feel free to call if you have specific  questions.  I get dozens of solicitation  phone calls a day( no bs its just after 10 am and i have 14 voice mails all are trying to sell me something, or invest in this or that)   so make sure to leave me a message.  Or bettet yet send me a text 1st with who you are so i can add it to contacts... so i will actually pick up. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2020, 01:09:55 PM »
After getting pricing for liquid rock delivered, stick building it is.     Now i can actually  sit down and draw stuff up.  Give me a week or so as for not working i sure seem to be working alot

federed

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2022, 02:51:32 AM »
I am convinced that the ICF construction method is the best option today. First, you get minimal air leakage, which increases comfort and reduces heat loss compared to walls without an air barrier. Secondly, structural integrity for better resistance to the forces of nature compared to frame walls. And third, such houses are much more expensive than traditional frame houses because of the material's longevity. When I was buying property in Tulum, I looked for a house that owners built this way. I paid a little more than planned, but I got an eco-friendly and durable house.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2022, 11:24:33 AM »
Which ICF product did you use?  What did it end up costing per sq ft?

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 12:48:20 PM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2022, 11:28:08 AM »
Tab, is this the kind of stuff you were referring to?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SUNSHIELD-5-Gal-Radiant-Barrier-for-Roofs-and-Exteriors-312/202509784

Or was it an internal paint system?

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2022, 07:28:12 PM »
Hey Tab....??

Tab, is this the kind of stuff you were referring to?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SUNSHIELD-5-Gal-Radiant-Barrier-for-Roofs-and-Exteriors-312/202509784

Or was it an internal paint system?

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2022, 08:56:53 PM »
No,

Unclefedor

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2022, 08:39:58 AM »
The plan is the basis of any action, especially if we are talking about a house that will stay and host you for decades. The plan of the house must be established by professionals, taking into account the wishes of the owners. A small mistake in the plan can ruin the stability of the whole house. When I built my house, I turned to professionals from the newcastle surveyors team. I was very satisfied. My opinion was crucial, and I got what I wanted. Thanks to the team who listened to me and helped me along the way.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2022, 02:03:10 PM »
I talked to an acquaintance who puts up metal buildings.  He said to plan on $36/sq ft. for red iron (~5,000 sq.ft.) which includes erection and the slab.  That won't include electrical, a few extra windows and doors, water and sewer, etc. 

There's no permitting restraints to worry about here for electrical, water and sewer so I'll put that in myself with $15/hour unskilled help.  I'm figuring that cost separately.

How does that $36/ft look to you right now? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk