Author Topic: Get Your Jerry On  (Read 2478 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Get Your Jerry On
« on: May 22, 2020, 04:26:45 PM »
Over on THR there was a thread with some of Jerry Miculek's videos.   Specifically him shooting a .44mag, 6 shots in 1 second (1st to last).  He was using an AR500 rectangular plate as a target and it knocked the plate and stand over.

So can I do that?  One thing I've discovered is that some "tricks" aren't that hard if you just get up and try them.

NOW LET ME BE CLEAR. I'm NOWHERE near JMs level. Not even 50%. But, I have tried some of his feats and if nothing else they're an eye-opener to a different level and feel of shooting.

I can do 6 shot in 1 second (first to last). Nothing fancy, just a 4" 686, tuned a little (by me) and some .38spls running @128 power factor (124grain bullets). I still got it today.

[See first picture]

Now for the .44mag. Running a 629-6 with minimal tuning. 14# rebound spring and removed the unessential pieces from the action. Haven't lightened strain screw at this point. It is only a 5" but it is MagNaPorted, which doesn't help with the recoil but lessons the muzzle rise. Shooting 240gr bullets at 965fps which works out to 231 Power Factor. Had done a few hundred dry fire, but I swear that actually shooting ammo enables you to shoot faster. Maybe the recoil helps bring your trigger finger off the trigger faster or something.

NO I DIDN'T make it. The best I got was 1.14 seconds. The target was shot at 7yds. I brought it forward so you could see the hits.

Again, I will never come close to JM, but I can swagger just a little because I tried.

#GetYourJerryOn
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

Re: Get Your Jerry On
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 05:31:15 PM »
Every "Trick shot" that I've ever seen was based on 1 of 3 things, Fundamentals of shooting When Ed McGivern looked at that diamond ring, it was just lining up the sights, Practice, like those people that blow away butt loads of clays, and wood blocks one after the other.  , The 3rd category is Bob Munden type freaks of nature and you can never match them.   ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 09:46:04 PM »
I think Jerry Miculek has all three.   I'm working on #s 1&2. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:11:55 PM »
That's all us mortals can do.   ;D

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 07:41:51 AM »
Every "Trick shot" that I've ever seen was based on 1 of 3 things, Fundamentals of shooting When Ed McGivern looked at that diamond ring, it was just lining up the sights, Practice, like those people that blow away butt loads of clays, and wood blocks one after the other.  , The 3rd category is Bob Munden type freaks of nature and you can never match them.   ;D

"freaks of nature" - Ya mean like hitting a 6" balloon at 100 yards with a Derringer??? Yeah, never!!! :o :o :o
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:20:31 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 08:49:49 AM »
"freaks of nature" - Ya mean like hitting a 6" balloon at 100 yards with a Derringer??? Yeah, never!!! :o :o :o

That's easy if you know your ammo. I used to lob 410 slugs at a target 150 yards away .
Really no different than shooting 45/70   ;D
That's actually what "volley sights" were for.

I was talking about superhuman muscle reflex.   ;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 11:04:25 AM »
Agree on both Miculek and Munden.

I think Jerry Miculek has all three.   I'm working on #s 1&2. 

That's the key for any of us. It's not all that difficult (with practice) to get really good at individual parts of the mechanics. It's when we have to assemble them all into one fluid action that the machine can slow down.
In my own arena, I started out as a Bullseye competitor so accuracy was my game. When transitioning to "action shooting" (as the older guys called it at the range as we were trying to introduce them to IPSC back then) I could draw quick but my stumbling block to overcome was the transition from draw to a good two-hand grip (Bullseye is a one-handed game). It took a lot of work to get smooth while truing to introduce any semblance of speed. But compared to JM and BM, I may as well be checking the mail.

Alf, you need to get busy.  ;D ;D ;D  ;)
*Just kidding....your times are much faster than my revolver times were....which is whay I shot a 1911 in competition.

This is still my all-time favorite Jerry Miculek video:

Couple for Bob....you know, just because:

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 01:12:37 PM »
I'm a little sketchy on the math, but I THINK I could run an M - 60 faster than he does that revolver.
But only till the belt ran out.   ;D

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 01:14:12 PM »
Actually, I think that in the long run JM could keep up with most Modern SMG's.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 08:25:03 PM »
Actually, I think that in the long run JM could keep up with most Modern SMG's.

He ain't too far off of the pace. The only SMG I've fired was an HK MP5 in .40 S&W. According to standard specs the 9mm suppressed version, the MP5SD, has the slowest ROF @ 700 RPM. That's just over 11 RPS.
I didn't look at any other SMGs, so he could very well outrun some of them. He'd probably catch up with reloads.....at least 'til his hands got tired. ;D ;D ;D ;D

I wish I could find video showing it, but IIRC it was on one of the Wednesday night OC shooting shows years ago (used to be a trick shooting segment at the end of Scouten's show) where Jerry used two fingers wedged inside the trigger guard on a 1911 to effectively bump-fire it (same principle as the bumpstock). He could dump a mag like those FA Glocks. The gun went to slide-lock before the brass hit the ground.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk