Author Topic: Treking Stick  (Read 3540 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Treking Stick
« on: May 27, 2020, 01:53:38 PM »
I have had this idea about a walking stick that was more for EXPLORING than just walking.

There are a number of such commercial ones out there, but I had some ideas I wanted to explore.

HOOK:  Besides having a pokeie thingie on the end I wanted a hook.  I just thought a hook would be useful to grab and pull things to me.  A hook strong enough that it would hold me up.

HAND HOLD:  If there's a hook and I anticipate need to lift myself up with it, then the grip needs designed to allow a good grip.

SLING:  While out exploring there are times the stick gets in the way and having a sling would be a useful way to carry the stick when I need hands-free.  (Okay, yes it was inspired by Rey in Starwars.)

So I present Version 3.   

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

Re: Treking Stick
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 02:16:06 PM »
Nice.
Is that Oak ?
Never thought of hauling myself up anything but that hook would be perfect for getting the stew and coffee kettles off the fire.   ;D
I don't know your thinking on it, but while I would not leave a sling on it, it's a darned handy option to have available.
Learning THAT from that new "Pistol". No swivels, and the shroud is to small for M-loc or Key Mod.  WTF ?

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 04:50:04 PM »
I did steal the hook from a fireplace poker.   Was intending to design one myself maybe commissioning a blacksmith to make it.  I have a good piece of steel but don't have the tools to cut it.

Again, good intentions, I was going to laminate my own staff, but for the time being that's just a garden tool pole.   I did give it some shape and stain it to look uh.. different.

The sling is held on with quick disconnects so easily removable and stowable.  It does get in the way at times.

Version 4 will include either a second rail or a much longer first rail.  I want the ability to mount a light to use for night trekking.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 04:58:14 PM »
Nothing wrong with using a tool handle .

Why waste time and effort on unneeded work getting to diameter when you can use that time on the actual product ?   ;D
Shovel and rake handles are just about ready for cutting to length.   ;D

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 06:03:17 PM »
Nothing wrong with using a tool handle .

Why waste time and effort on unneeded work getting to diameter when you can use that time on the actual product ?   ;D
Shovel and rake handles are just about ready for cutting to length.   ;D

I agree 100%: if it works, it isn't wrong. I use tool handles for my pila (Roman-style throwing spears).

Dirty Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:33:04 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 07:42:16 PM »
Pila ? Sounds like there is definitely a story there .    ;D

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 10:34:56 PM »
The pilum (pila is the plural) was the spear of Rome. Mine are a simplified version, with a tool handle, wrapped in glue-soaked cord for a grip and to prevent splitting. The business end is a long piece of round stock — 18 to 30 inches, maybe — cold-forged into a rough leaf shape at the tip. The steel’s epoxied into the haft, though it could be pinned.

When I get a chance, I’ll start a thread (with pics) on spears. Fun stuff!

Dirty Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 07:42:25 AM »
I'm REALLY looking forward to it.
Anything on historical weapons intrigues the heck out of me.    ;D

My name is Tom, and I'm a Hoplojunkie .   
(Beat THAT  one  Jeff Cooper   ;D   )

Timothy

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 03:29:36 PM »
Chunk of walnut I’ve been working on..

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 05:22:19 PM »
Nice.
Well, I guess all my Photos are gone. Photobucket now requires a paid subscription. Ain't paying for what I agreed to as a FREE service.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk