Author Topic: What are Some of Your Non-gun-related Hobbies?  (Read 4664 times)

BAC

What are Some of Your Non-gun-related Hobbies?
« on: June 19, 2020, 04:35:13 PM »
What do you guys like to do when you’re not working or tackling the honey-do list?

I have been into photography since the 80s. Now that I’ve been kicked out of the photo industry (20 years experience doesn’t matter if you don’t have a degree, but I digress), I’ve been able to enjoy taking photos again.

Lately I’ve gotten into shooting film again. Oh how I’ve missed that!  Don’t get me wrong, digital is the way to go for most things, but nothing compares to developing a roll of film yourself. The anticipation as you take the roll off the reel and gaze upon your negatives for the first time. I know it’s weird, but I missed the smell of the chemicals, too.

I’ve been scanning the negatives, but the next step is to convert the laundry room into a full-blown darkroom and to get an enlarger.   Baby streps.

So how about you guys?  What are your hobbies, or what would you like to try as a hobby?

tombogan03884

Re: What are Some of Your Non-gun-related Hobbies?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 06:37:47 PM »
I read, always have.
Preferably history, after that pretty much anything but romance.
I dislike most women writers, and I HATE Russian writers.
If an American or Englishman had written War and Peace it would have been 400 pages or less.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 08:15:18 AM »
Like several others on here I'm a ham radio op.  W4ADS.  It's a hobby on the back burner for now.  But one I will spend more time at as I become less mobile later in life. 

Electronics in general and computers are also a hobby.  Also held an FCC 1st Class Commercial license back in the day.  I loved video engineering and lighting even though it was my last occupation it was like playing with toys all the time.  I miss the equipment.

Working on a computer monitor for the reloading press.  The problem is sensors that are small, rugged reliable and accurate... And cheap.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 09:58:20 AM »
Yep, ham radio.  KE5JDJ....one day I'll work on my Extra Class.  I actually got a GMRS license for the house too.  I guess radio in general...I'm fussing around with the wifi today to get it into the front field...about 950'...I have a solid 500' now but I have a hill in the way so altitude may be my friend.  I have a 5 ghZ bridge if I need it to send the signal out and then rebroadcast on 2.4 ghz.

Fishing, which reminds me, I need to get the boat motor in for service.  Model trains...I have a G size locomotive and cars...waiting to finish the house in a year or so before I put it on a track outside.  Anything on the tractor...gardening, bushhog, etc...which reminds me I am still waiting on the posthole auger to come in.  Music...the stereo, etc.  Fireworks and model rockets when I can...I have some rice paper hot air balloons I try to launch one every couple of days when it's not dry.  Shoot...I even like cutting grass and building stuff.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 10:47:36 AM »
I read, always have.
Preferably history, after that pretty much anything but romance.
I dislike most women writers, and I HATE Russian writers.
If an American or Englishman had written War and Peace it would have been 400 pages or less.
  tom loolk up thunder bellow by admiral flucky.

Other hobbies of mine are wood working, aquariums, building things in general and boats.

Oh ps i dont have honey due lists, i am very proactive about fixing things.  Besides she knows better than to ask about home repairs that are not needed.    The last thing i want to do is come home and go back to work

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:51:00 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 11:46:44 AM »
TAB, I saw your post in Summer reading, sounds good.

As to the Honey Do list she's probably afraid you'll just tear it down build another one and call it "remodeling".   ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 12:00:22 PM »
TAB, I saw your post in Summer reading, sounds good.

As to the Honey Do list she's probably afraid you'll just tear it down build another one and call it "remodeling".   ;D
  more like i will make her do it.   The last time she wanted the bedroom painted i taught  her how to do it.  Its like the boot makers kids are always the last to get shoes made.  People were always shocked that i do all this cool trick stuff in oyher peooles houses, but mine is plain jane and needs stuff done.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 03:48:42 PM »
Yep, ham radio.  KE5JDJ....one day I'll work on my Extra Class.  I actually got a GMRS license for the house too.  I guess radio in general...I'm fussing around with the wifi today to get it into the front field...about 950'...I have a solid 500' now but I have a hill in the way so altitude may be my friend.  I have a 5 ghZ bridge if I need it to send the signal out and then rebroadcast on 2.4 ghz.

Fishing, which reminds me, I need to get the boat motor in for service.  Model trains...I have a G size locomotive and cars...waiting to finish the house in a year or so before I put it on a track outside.  Anything on the tractor...gardening, bushhog, etc...which reminds me I am still waiting on the posthole auger to come in.  Music...the stereo, etc.  Fireworks and model rockets when I can...I have some rice paper hot air balloons I try to launch one every couple of days when it's not dry.  Shoot...I even like cutting grass and building stuff.

Every time you guys start talking radio, I get the itch.  The closest I've ever been to it is CB in the trucks.

Fishing - I used to love fishing, and I miss it.  Got spoiled working at my Aunt and Uncle's resort in my teens.  I later got a boat, but never really found the time.  Now the boat sits in Minnesota trying to find a new home, and I am in Illinois wondering how to convince the wife it needs to join me.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

BAC

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 04:55:59 PM »
Wow, I just fell down a rabbit hole.

While reading about ham and CB radios I was transported back to the mid to late 70s, Punxsutawney, PA, sitting in my Dad’s Ford pickup in front of the house, talking on the CB radio.

Then I started thinking about Edmund Scientific and Heathkit catalogs. I always wanted to buy a stereo kit and build it, but never did. It would seem both companies are still around, or at least companies that own their trademarks are still around.

I seem to remember being in Radio Club in high school, but I don’t remember ever actually doing anything with radios in the club. Maybe I made the whole thing up in a fever dream.  Have to text my brother to confirm, as I think he was a Radio Club officer, or maybe he wasn’t.

This stream of consciousness post was brought to you by Caffeine!  Back to work.

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 08:42:35 AM »
Fishing, fresh and inshore salt on occasion!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk