Author Topic: Building an AR during "Spicy Time" ??  (Read 4695 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Building an AR during "Spicy Time" ??
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 09:22:16 AM »

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 10:07:04 AM »
I stand corrected.

I heard a news report that implied that the mayor had doxed that couple who foolishly came out and were waving guns around. Now it looks like the protestors were there for the mayor, and not for the couple who've been playing victim, perhaps to draw attention away from one of them being caught on video pointing a pistol at the crowd.

Looks like bad behavior on all sides. I'm out!

Seriously, in times like these, I don't want to do anything to raise tensions or cause conflict. If a mob comes down my street, I'll be prepared to repel violence, but I don't want to start anything. We all need to remember that cameras are everywhere! If somebody feels they have to come outside visibly armed, a slung AR or a holstered pistol would present a much less provocative image.

---

Back on topic: With gun store shelves remaining mostly empty, is anyone helping somebody who waited too long to decide they need a defensive firearm? It looks like there are still some options out there to build something that will do the job without breaking the bank.

I hope those who want a firearm don't sit on their hands any longer! Those of us who know our way around things can and should help our friends.
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 10:59:42 AM »
Most of my friends and family already have guns and ammo for them. Those who don't I wouldn't give/ loan one of mine to them because they want to take my rights away and can't be trusted with any thing that's sharper than a rubber doughnut.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

xsquidgator

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 12:47:14 PM »
I am helping/working with several families in my neighborhood who we know through church.  A couple of them already have firearms but are now wanting some training, and another family is in the same frame of mind but only a week or two ago acquired their first firearm (a 9mm Sig whichever one is the one the .mil adopted, fine & motor on).  I showed them examples of M&Ps, Glocks, XDs but already everything seemed to be sold out so they jumped on the Sig when they found one.

For a number of years I did the thing a lot of guys do in picking up several NRA instructor certifications and then trying to sell slots in NRA Basic Pistol and the NRA Personal Protection classes.  A few years ago I shut down my LLC and don't do classes for $ anymore, I thought it was too much hassle for a hobby job and what I really would rather do is train, and to share training with people who actually want it vs trying to convince a bunch of cheap asses they should go beyond the minimum state CCW class.  At some point I got into (and still am into) Project Appleseed and after making it through their instructor training program, I believe for me at least t's better to separate the "making a buck" thing from learning to become a trainer thing. 

So, I think it was right to tell these folks (and they seem to appreciate it) that I'll gladly give them the same training experience of NRA Basic Pistol/Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home, plus other stuff from Mas Ayoob's MAG-40 class and some other trainers at no cost.  There is a condition to this though, which is that they do complete enough of the training to be competent.
Whichever set of classes or syllabi you draw from, I think most would agree that means learning
-how to shoot (basic firearms)
- at least a bit on basic defensive handgun/manipulations/tactics/drawing from a holster
- when to fight (ie the legal stuff)

"Checking the box" and getting our state's CWP is a pretty low standard.  To come across as a little less of a gun freak about it, I told them I'd settle for getting them up to a competency level each of them would want for any armed person who might come into their house and handle guns around them and their family.  Put that way, I think it's easier to appreciate why we want to do better than just getting the permit.
Their graduation exercise will be to go shoot some kind of a match with me nearby, without getting DQd (for a safety or gun-handling issue).

I would feel even better if there were a hundred retired professional ex-door kickers in my neighborhood, but I'm optimistic this will help build a bit more community and hopefully make us all mutually safer.

As far as one of the original questions re getting hardware into new folks' hands, that's tough when it comes to black rifle kind of things.  Brownell's still has some of those retro AR special things they're selling, but those and the $3000+ rifles are all I've been able to find recently when I went looking online.  The gun panic seems to have accelerated again in the last week even more than it already had been...

If I haven't burned these folks out by this point, this is where I'd like to start getting them thinking about rifles and ARs, which is more to the point of this thread.
Doing an Appleseed and maybe a carbine class would be great, but realistically I think only the small tip of the bell curve of gun owners will approach that many training hours.  These folks seem so far to be motivated by a desire to control their own safety, so I'm hoping to keep them on the path after we get through most of the defensive handgun stuff.  If I run into any ARs for sale right now though, I'll point them at it...

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 03:04:35 PM »
Bob, What I've seen is the "protestors" were on private property in a gated community.
The cops are siding with the home owners.

Just looking at the Palmetto State Armory sight, they have plenty of carbine lowers, AR 15, or AR 10, although the "10's" are about 2X the price.
And I don't know about any shortages, I'm getting ads every day like this

https://palmettostatearmory.com/guns.html?trk_msg=8FUKV8MUOIF4J9LJH19VOH0SA0&trk_contact=659IUTCPFFSMD1G4AR7OFIV0LC&trk_sid=V2QV1GUNCPIGAGB75O3TSO5SQS&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=GUNS&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=12%3a00+Email

Edited to add that I just got this one.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-guns/?trk_msg=O4PLBIV6V614V0M7K5B94G17EO&trk_contact=659IUTCPFFSMD1G4AR7OFIV0LC&trk_sid=QD08G99N86LEH8RNV4RAU9FTJ4&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Hand+Guns&utm_campaign=20200630HowToShootAR15&utm_content=Secondary

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:58:20 AM »

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1403
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2020, 08:27:18 AM »
You might be right. I can make 300 BLK from fired 5.56mm cases, however, and powder-coated cast bullets should work fine.

I sincerely hope we haven't crossed the point of no return. On the other hand, when protestors and/or rioters start moving into neighborhoods and onto private property -- as has been happening in St. Louis* and other locations -- things can turn ugly really fast. Burning of businesses has been happening in downtowns, but anyone who tries to set fire to an occupied dwelling has to be stopped, by any means necessary.

*There's an allegation that the mayor doxed people, and that's why the crowd broke down an iron  gate and trespassed onto a private road.

I do not know about other states but in Kentucky, Arson can be stopped using deadly force. If I see someone attempting to burn down a building or a car that is occupied I will do what I can to prevent it. That includes shooting someone.

I am lucky enough to live in a fairly rural area but I work 1 block from the area they have been targeting in Louisville. I have ordered, but not yet received, a concealable ballistic vest (Safe-Life) for myself and my wife. They should arrive next week. I also ordered a plate carrier with plates (AR500) a month ago but that will take a while, probably 2 months more. I carry a 12 gauge pump shotgun and an AR-15 pistol with brace in my trunk along with a gas mask in case I have to "get the hell out of Dodge".  Things are very dicy around here.  IMHO there is NEVER a bad time to build another AR.

Always remember, as Micheal says, you ARE your own first responder.

The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 10:37:18 AM »
I need to order a gas mask, Can always use it for "Mandatory mask" places as well .   ;D
As for armor, I considered it, then rejected the idea for 2 reasons.
1) Protection versus mobility, it's a trade off.
2) If I learned anything from that braced pistol smacking me in the cheek bone it is depend on what you KNOW.
    All I ever used was a flak jacket and didn't have much faith in that.
There's a 3rd reason, I've seen the bruise left from taking a bullet on armor. I don't think getting shot would hurt THAT bad.    ;D

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 11:49:23 AM »
I need to order a gas mask, Can always use it for "Mandatory mask" places as well .   ;D
As for armor, I considered it, then rejected the idea for 2 reasons.
1) Protection versus mobility, it's a trade off.
2) If I learned anything from that braced pistol smacking me in the cheek bone it is depend on what you KNOW.
    All I ever used was a flak jacket and didn't have much faith in that.
There's a 3rd reason, I've seen the bruise left from taking a bullet on armor. I don't think getting shot would hurt THAT bad.    ;D

As far as mobility, I don't have much now. As far as recoil, well it is what it is. But that bruse.... Yep That is gonna hurt. but at least I can go home and kiss my wonderful wife.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2020, 01:58:41 PM »
. but at least I can go home and kiss my wonderful wife.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That will hurt too.
Those are some BIG bruises    ;D

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 03:01:23 PM »
That will hurt too.
Those are some BIG bruises    ;D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
That's OK. She is a nurse!! Nothing like a little TLC!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk