Author Topic: How Have The Current Situations Changed Your Preparedness?  (Read 3188 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 869
How Have The Current Situations Changed Your Preparedness?
« on: August 09, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »
I have been thinking about things lately.  A person should consider their preparedness on a regular basis, but I fail this way to often.

I do check all supplies and my go bag on a regular basis.  However, I neglect reevaluating what I carry and why.  Here are some questions, thoughts, changes, that I am making or considering at this time*:

1.  Lanyards or retention cords for tools - Rifle, handgun, knife, light.  Thinking about ending up in a crowd, and attempting to retain my tools of self defense.

2.  How close to keep the bag and retention of the bag.

3.  Laser protection.  I have been looking at getting laser glasses.  I currently have a pair from our maintenance manager that cover from 200 (red) through 725 (above green).  I have found several sources that carry OSHA certification in the $150 - $200 range.

4.  Cane - I have a cane that is mainly to deal with a bad knee.  It can double as self defense, and I have taken training in it.  However, I am looking at what happens if I end up in a mob.  If I need it for mobility, I must have it.  However, on days I don't need it or strictly for self defense I don't feel that I good enough with it to retain it in a mob without endangering myself, and at that point it becomes a tool to be used on me.

*Some are bag items only, some are carry items only, and some are a combination

Some of my thoughts as I work my way through it in my mind and practice.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: How Have The Current Situations Changed Your Preparedness?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 08:58:39 AM »
As I'm sure most of have, I've been thinking about being trapped in my car by a mob. 

I've added pepper spray to my inventory.  Two, one for me and one for the misses.  And I'm giving some serious thought to stun guns.  Nothing says get your hands out of my car like 10,000+Volts.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

xsquidgator

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 09:53:36 AM »
At the beginning of the covid thing, I finally got around to installing an inexpensive home security camera system for the house.
I had meant to for years, but that was the spur to go ahead and figure things out with it.

Re the more recent rioting and antifa antics, I've bought some other prep items, none of which are firearms related.
Put dashcams on my vehicles just in the last couple of weeks.
May refresh the pepper spray for our daily carry stuff, just to be more sure that it will work and maybe this time some training cartridges for the pepper spray to test it out a bit.

Did buy a pair of what are supposed to be OD -4 laser safety goggles and those are set aside in case, a pair for each of us in the house.  The laser protection problem isn't a simple one but at least one has a chance if you have some kind of eye pro as opposed to none.

I don't subscribe to everything this guy says but this related post I think sounds sensible and kind of sums up the technical and the tactical problems if you're being attacked with lasers as they are doing in some places.
https://www.captainsjournal.com/2020/08/09/green-laser-eye-protection-in-the-wild/

My street and neighborhood is mixed red-blue if you were to map the political leanings of folks, unfortunately my immediate street is almost all blue and not much interest in neighborhood watch or NPT or whatever.  For general purposes I have a half dozen FRS and Baofeng radios that can use FRS and part of why I bought multiples were in case our 1-2 street area needed walkie talkies for whatever reason. 
I've broken them out before for people on our street during hurricanes in the past, so at least I know a few folks who've thought a little about it around here.

I have been reading things and believe that we'll see significant antifa violence aimed at voters on or around election day, intended to frighten Trump voters away.  Their plan makes more sense now, since what's come out recently with many of the rioters/terrorists/insurgents having been trained in Syria.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 10:41:15 AM »
OK...I like that 10,000v idea...

Now, how do we make it so you can throw a  switch and have your whole car be the stun gun???

Probably take some generator hook ups somehow....

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 06:00:10 PM »
  Their plan makes more sense now, since what's come out recently with many of the rioters/terrorists/insurgents having been trained in Syria.

Do you have a reference I can use for that ?
I've said right along this is a classic 3rd world insurgency.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:36:34 PM »

xsquidgator

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 08:54:23 AM »
Do you have a reference I can use for that ?
I've said right along this is a classic 3rd world insurgency.

I don't remember the couple of places where I saw this discussed, but, here are some reports on it.

(linked from Newsweek, so it's not InfoWars)
https://gellerreport.com/2020/08/antifa-members-trained-with-islamic-terrorists-in-syria-using-obama-program-cash-featured.html/

and

https://www.trtworld.com/magazine/antifa-trained-by-terrorist-pkk-in-syria-may-end-up-outlawed-in-the-us-36817

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 09:53:06 AM »
i have often wondered about the use  of force against lasers

most state laws say something to the effect that you can use deadly force to stop/prevent grave bodily injury.    i think we all can agree that being blinded is grave bodily injury.  so that begs the question whats would happen if you do use deadly force vs some one that is trying to blind you with a laser.

My $.02 is that if you are in a  red area, you will go to a grand jury and be no billed.  in a purple area, you might see a trial. in a blue area you are in jail.   I am not a lawyer and i did not stay at a holiday inn last night.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 12:33:17 PM »
I once discharged a dry chemical fire extinguisher into the wind, and got some back in my face...not pleasant... I've started carrying the extinguisher in the front passenger floor board... a bag containing a G17 with miniature red dot and back up sights in a Recover Tactical brace that now has the front mag holder... gives me 36 on the gun...

ordered one of the 15 round Shield magazines for the G43x, but will use for a reload.... small town I live in has had a couple of incidents down town ... friend has a pretty good security camera set up on his house... WiFi and AA lithium powered... displays to his phone and gives a warning if motion is detected... will have to look into it...

sold a Rolex that I got in 1973 ... might pick up a white phosphor NV monocular

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 04:01:16 PM »
I have been thinking about things lately.  A person should consider their preparedness on a regular basis, but I fail this way to often.

I do check all supplies and my go bag on a regular basis.  However, I neglect reevaluating what I carry and why.  Here are some questions, thoughts, changes, that I am making or considering at this time*:

1.  Lanyards or retention cords for tools - Rifle, handgun, knife, light.  Thinking about ending up in a crowd, and attempting to retain my tools of self defense.

2.  How close to keep the bag and retention of the bag.

3.  Laser protection.  I have been looking at getting laser glasses.  I currently have a pair from our maintenance manager that cover from 200 (red) through 725 (above green).  I have found several sources that carry OSHA certification in the $150 - $200 range.

4.  Cane - I have a cane that is mainly to deal with a bad knee.  It can double as self defense, and I have taken training in it.  However, I am looking at what happens if I end up in a mob.  If I need it for mobility, I must have it.  However, on days I don't need it or strictly for self defense I don't feel that I good enough with it to retain it in a mob without endangering myself, and at that point it becomes a tool to be used on me.

*Some are bag items only, some are carry items only, and some are a combination

Some of my thoughts as I work my way through it in my mind and practice.

If you are worried about getting stuck in the crowd try to stay at the edges and work your way out of the area. Food for thought. Put a black hoodie, black mask in your bob. Fit in with the crowd until you can get away.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »
i have often wondered about the use  of force against lasers
<snip>

With blue lasers you can quickly have permanent eye loss.  Blue is especially bad.  I have no desire to finish up what few years I have being blinded by some worthless idiot rich white kid having fun down at the riots.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk