Author Topic: RIP, Ruth Bader Ginsburg (March 15, 1933 – September 18, 2020)  (Read 5479 times)

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
RIP, Ruth Bader Ginsburg (March 15, 1933 – September 18, 2020)
« on: September 18, 2020, 09:35:08 PM »
I feel truly sad to learn that Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed away today. I never wished for her demise. She may have been on the other side of the political aisle, but I had respect for her knowledge and the tenacity of her arguments, her long service on the bench, as well as for her bravery in facing cancer.

I'm also sad for my country. I'm afraid this is going to unleash a ****storm as the election nears. Batten down the hatches and secure all loose objects belowdecks, we're headed into rough weather.

Please do us all a favor and show respect for Justice Ginsburg and her loved ones. Let's show we're a better group of people than those who oppose us.

In true sadness,
Dirty Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Re: RIP, Ruth Bader Ginsburg (March 15, 1933 – September 18, 2020)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 05:30:40 AM »
Many Republicans have now found that they painted themselves into a corner.  With all of their ranting and grandstanding that trying to seat a new Justice in the 10 months prior to a national election is improper, they are now faced with the desire to do it within a few weeks.

Will Pres. Trump and the rest in D.C. have the will power to practice what they preached?  If not, it will be a classic S**T Storm of final drive to the polls.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 08:14:18 AM »
Mike.
Don't be a fool.
They have to have a full court before the election because the dems will try to overturn the vote based on mail in corruption, and mistakes.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 08:41:26 AM »
Good point, Tom.  A full court to handle the expected  election blizzard of lawsuits.

I'll make the argument that there's  a difference between an out going two term president and one who's  standing for reelection.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 10:01:15 AM »
From what I've seen, The only time that there's a problem with seating a SC Justice during a lame duck or election year is when the Senate is controlled by the opposite party than the president. Otherwise it's business as usual for the nomination and approval vote.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Sponsor

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 01:21:45 PM »
I am pretty sure even if trump were to nominate  hrc or obuma, the dems would still fight it.

Even rbg said what they were doing to  kavanaugh, was wrong.

If trump is smart he will select  a women so they can not do the metoo crap.  I would love to see Judge Roger T. Benitez. Aka saint benitez.

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 02:11:21 PM »
I cannot celebrate her passing, tough on their family, etc. I get that.

But when a SCOTUS justice speaks publicly and openly about using foreign law as a basis for her decisions on internal US cases, as she has done, , we are well rid of her from the bench.

My worry is that the Republicans will suddenly lose their testicles and/or spines, and roll over for the likes of Schumer and his ilk.

"May you live in interesting times."
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 02:16:39 PM »
PS: I just ran across this and in spite of my previous comment, I CANNOT stop laughing!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 03:53:32 PM »
It is always hard for me to put daily life ahead of the reality, emotions and respect of a death.  First, we need to let her body get cold and put in the ground.  I am appalled, first by the media that feels they must push the questions and speculation of what the President and Senate will do, and second that our elected Republicans not only do not deflect the questions out of respect for the death, but spout off that they are going to ram a new Justice through in less than two months - 2/3 of the average time that confirmations take.

My personal feelings aside, I see that we have two choices:

1.  We can ram a Justice through and face a very high probability of having a clean sweep by the Democrats in November, and then live with that most likely for eight years.

2.  We can do what we demanded four years ago and improve our chances of holding both the Executive and Senate.

What Trump and McConnell do will not change how I vote.  I will still go down my list of issues and their importance.  However, I know that there are many who will change based on what happens in the coming weeks, and this situation changes the entire complexion of the campaigns.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 04:42:12 PM »
I agree Mike!

Shoving a Justice onto the bench too fast could completely disenfranchise an entire voting block!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk