Author Topic: The fateful Detonics CombatMaster story  (Read 1505 times)

gun papa

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The fateful Detonics CombatMaster story
« on: October 07, 2020, 12:14:05 AM »
Early last week, after a couple of glasses of wine I discussed with my Wife, my desire to own a Detonics Combat Master.
I believe she was listening.

I had seen a CombatMaster for sale at an estate sale easily over two to three years ago, put on by a local guy that has sales often.  This particular CombatMaster was used.  I remember it was not the tightest 1911 that I had seen, but it was cool, nonetheless.  They wanted $800.   I passed, but as time went on, I kick myself for not checking it out further.  It is the only CombatMaster I have seen in the flesh.  I have thought about the pistol from time to time, but the wine brought the idea up again. 
On Saturday we attended an estate sale held by the same man at obviously a different estate location.
I brought up to him my lamenting the fact that I hadn't given the pistol a second look.  Well, it turned out that the man still has the pistol.  He actually had it in his car for the last several years.  It's a Seattle made gun with an original magazine.  He sold it to me for $550.00.
Not only could I not get the money out fast enough, but I pinched myself several times to ensure that it wasn't just a great dream.
My Wife says I am lucky, but I told her it was fate.  The gun was meant to be mine, and it was waiting for me.
The CM got a complete disassembling and cleaning.  It appears to be all original.

It fed and cycled the 45 rounds of ball that I had without issue, but is shooting low.  I think I need a slightly taller rear sight.  Any ideas on where to get one that will keep the same look as the original?

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: The fateful Detonics CombatMaster story
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 06:44:55 AM »
Nice catch.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 07:34:34 AM »
Great deal.

From past reading, I believe some of the parts on the DCM are the same as MilSpec 1911s and I think the rear dovetail and sight is one of those parts.
Give a call to Brownells tech guys, some of those guys really know their stuff and could probably confirm it.
If the dovetail is the same as a 1911, then your options are plentiful.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 08:50:15 AM »
how tall is your rear sight?.... 10-8 makes a .315" NM

https://www.10-8performance.com/1911-nm-rear-sight/#description

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 09:34:56 AM »
I just want to know where this "estate" sale guy is.   All they ever have around here for sale are old furniture and dishes.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:12:24 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 10:45:29 AM »
I just want to know where this "estate" sale guy is.   All they ever have around here for sale are old furniture and dishes.

Yeah...what Alf said!!!!
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

gun papa

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 11:26:10 AM »

I will try not to romanticize it, but the is an area beyond a cattle grate, Southbound, where gun magic happens.  It's a magic place.  ZFK-55 type magic. 

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 11:50:03 AM »
I had an early Blue Detonics Combat Master that I sold in a moment of weakness( I needed cash ) I wish I had kept it and have been looking for another one to no avail. Any I had found were priced at $1000.00 +, You stole that one. Most 1911 parts will work as far as the controls go, with the exception of the non existent grip safety, But Triggers, slide lock, safety and sights will work.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

gun papa

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 01:41:58 PM »
I had an early Blue Detonics Combat Master that I sold in a moment of weakness( I needed cash ) I wish I had kept it and have been looking for another one to no avail. Any I had found were priced at $1000.00 +, You stole that one. Most 1911 parts will work as far as the controls go, with the exception of the non existent grip safety, But Triggers, slide lock, safety and sights will work.

Thank you.  I agree that I stole it at that price.  Original magazines look to be non-existent, so the magazine is a big plus.
I just couldn't believe the guy still had the gun and in his car!  I will drink a few more glasses of wine and see what the future gun buys will be.

I always have luck in this area; of our county at sales.  So addictive.  guns, gold, militaria, silver, watches. 

I will measure my rear sight ( from the slide up) and hopefully the one from 10-08 performance is the ticket.  I don't want to change it's CM iconic look.  Thanks

I am going to measure

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 11:42:42 AM »
Great find! I was re-reading a few of the Survivalist series by Jerry Ahern recently. So far, I'm heroically resisting Detonics lust. They are such cool pistols!

By the way, Jerry Ahern was a super nice guy.

Regards,
Dirty Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk