Author Topic: Kahr CM9 Freezing issue  (Read 1897 times)

DKnudsen

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Kahr CM9 Freezing issue
« on: November 08, 2020, 08:55:05 PM »
A few years ago in below freezing weather, I left my Kahr CM9 locked inside my truck in my driveway overnight, in the morning I immediately unloaded & dry fired the gun to check function. The gun had a 2 second striker fire delay every time that I pulled & reset the trigger. When the gun warmed up it functioned normally. I called Kahr & they admitted that the Stryker channel gets gummed up in extreme cold & delays the striker from moving forward. The gun was purchased brand new by me & had only 250rmds through it & was flawless in every way.
Has anyone else experienced this? I ended up selling what was one of my favorite & accurate little 9mm’s that I’ve ever owned...

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: Kahr CM9 Freezing issue
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 01:08:25 AM »
This might be a stupid question, but I won't let that stop me from asking it. Couldn't you just clean it really well and not use a lube that gums up?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 09:34:27 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 11:03:33 PM »
I remember reading about the guy who invented Dri-Slide lubricant sending it to guys in Vietnam for free. It's not just for freezing weather, but I normally just use regular gun oil.

Welcome to Dri-Slide! Where everything glides with Drislide! The lubricant that goes on wet and dries to a dry moly film that bonds to the metal surface and doesn't collect dust, dirt, or other airborne particles. 

^ No gumming up the works. Moly or graphite, it's a personal choice but they're both dry so they don't attract dirt like oil does.

https://www.drislide.com/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 11:31:54 PM »
I have a cold weather shooting tip for rifles and shotguns. Tape doesn't always stick to an oiled gun barrel, so instead of using tape like in that article you can cover your barrel with a finger cot. They're cheap and you can buy them by the gross if you use a lot of them. If your barrel is already cold the tape may not stick but a finger cot will still go on. And after you take a shot you don't have to worry about tape sticking again, or cleaning up glue from the  tape after the hunt. Balloons work too as long as they don't get in the way.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:22:23 AM »

DKnudsen

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 08:58:01 AM »
This might be a stupid question, but I won't let that stop me from asking it. Couldn't you just clean it really well and not use a lube that gums up?
[/quote]

The gun was a week old & factory lubed, that was why I started the discussion to see if others had the same issues with factory guns...thank you for the advice though!

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 09:09:04 AM »
Every gun I’ve ever bought, new or used gets a complete tear down and cleaning.

My brother in law bought a PPKS that was so full of junk you could barely pull the slide back.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 05:09:30 PM »
 ;D The factory doesn't lube them.
They use a butt load of WD-40 or some similar preservative.
They don't care if it works out of the box, they just want it to still be shiny no matter how long it is before it's opened.
Always clean and lube them, and NEVER use WD - 40.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 10:21:10 AM »
anecdote from a Southern 3 gunner... in 2005 the AMU at Ft Benning started their 3 gun matches...the temps were around 24F during the night, and we left the ammo in the car... early next morning the temp was about 26F and naturally I was the first shooter on a shotgun stage... I always run my guns wet, and use Mercury Outboard Quicksilver racing oil as it dissipates carbon...the 1100 was a bolt action for the first three shots, then started to function... when I switched to the Benelli for the next year I switched to INOX M3 for a lubricant without a problem, the Inox is reportedly used by the Canadian military as a weapons lube... we attributed cold soaking the ammo, and thick lubricant as the most likely problem of my malfunctions... my friends immediately put the ammo and their Benellis in the Sun, and had no problems once they warmed up...lesson learned... I'm more likely shooting in 92F weather  8)

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 07:18:41 PM »
 ;D Florida guns ?   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk