Author Topic: CRKT Provoke morphing karambit knife  (Read 3604 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
CRKT Provoke morphing karambit knife
« on: November 09, 2020, 12:27:41 AM »
I saw this Provoke karambit knife by CRKT awhile ago and thought it was a cool design. I like unusual actions but I'm not ready to shell out 200 bucks for what would mainly be a fidget toy for me. Thoughts? Opinions? If I had one I think I would have it in my hand whenever I walk around the neighborhood. No weapon is quicker to use than the one you're already holding.

One knife I have looks like a regular sheath knife except it has a lock like a typical lock-back folding knife. But when you fold it, it becomes a push dagger. It's not very unusual, just different enough that almost no one I showed it to saw one like it before. And I have the obligatory pantographic knife. I had 2 different sized ones but gave one to a friend I worked with, then I traded with him later. The large one fit nicely in the folding rule pocket on a pair of coveralls. One day at work I pulled it out and started cutting a piece out of the spark curtain that kept the welder from burning the crap out of me. It also kept me from getting my parts in without a struggle and I had to trim it down. My foreman was standing behind me wondering why the whole line was down, watching me there with a foot long knife in one hand and a Kevlar glove on the other hand, just slicing away. He never said a word to me, just waited for me to finish, then walked away. I wonder why? ;D

P.S. The handle on the pantographic knife isn't as wide as it looks in the drawing. It's as wide as you'd expect a metal sheath to be. There aren't many folding knives I know of with blades that are longer than the handles like this.

https://www.crkt.com/provoke.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=birKtIe7HRY&feature=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrrEoJakYg
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: CRKT Provoke morphing karambit knife
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 10:32:44 AM »
The pantographic knife looks like one used by the  Fallschirmjäger
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 03:04:38 AM »
A lot of people call them German paratrooper knives, but I've also heard them called British paratrooper knives. I think it depends on where in the world you are, but as far as I've seen there's no proof of paratroopers anywhere using them. Some have been marked with German markings like that but it seems to be something added by the manufacturer to sell more knives. Mine looks like that but without the markings and with a less chunky looking guard. I should have kept the smaller one. At least some German paratroopers carried gravity knives. I wish I would have bought one fairly cheap when I could have. The dollar was really strong against the West German Deutschmark when I was there, like 2.40:1. Later on at home some idiot lawmakers decided they were "switchblades" because you could flick them open, and they got too expensive. Too expensive to have some @$$hole cop confiscate and keep for themselves that is, and I wanted to be able to carry it.

The Eickhorn Solingen LL80 was standard issue when I was in the army and I think it still is. It's a smaller version of the LL100 with a 3-1/4" blade instead of 4". This ad at knife command says, "Folded into the handle is a steel 3-1/2" flat tip pick.", instead of a a steel 3-1/2" marlin spike like the LL100, but the only picture it shows of the LL80 is with both of them together. The marlin spike is meant for getting knots out of lines and ropes, just like pocket knives various navies have used for the last few centuries. I can think of I few other uses too but should keep most of them to myself. It could possibly be used as an ice pick if you're fresh out of ice picks, and my favorite alternative so far, a #1 Phillips screwdriver. The only picture I've found tonight of the LL80 flat tip pick or marlin spike is the last one, and the description says it features an awl or a screwdriver. I didn't read the rest yet but those were real German paratrooper knives.

I think I'll buy one of them but I won't be carrying it. At least not around Flint Township where you can carry a gun but not a knife with a blade over 3.0" long. How f***ing stupid is that? I need a few other knives where the blade slides out the front or folds out of the side of the handle instead of the edge. I don't feel like Christmas shopping for myself this year, but if I'm good maybe I'll get something next year. ;) Or some other time when I'm done buying gun parts, as if I'll ever be done modifying, accessorizing and tinkering with them. I like the action on the Provoke karambit but I'd rather sit around and play with a gravity knife. It's one of those things I've wanted for a long time but never bought yet, whereas the karambit is just something new that looks cool and different.

http://www.german-knife.com/german-paratrooper-gravity-knife.html

ETA: When my pantographic knife, I wish there was a better word for that, when my P-knife is closed the rear of the blade sticks out past the handle like tool blade of some kind. It would give someone a nasty gash if you jabbed it into their head. If would be less effective as a striking tool elsewhere but still would still concentrate a lot of force in a narrow spot. It also keeps the handle from taking the impact at the hinges if you accidentally drop it on the ground.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 08:52:27 PM »
I really didn't plan on buying a Provoke karambit but Classic Firearms had the Provoke First Responder model at a price I couldn't resist. The First Responder has a built in ceramic glass breaker, and unlike other models comes with a gear compatible sheath. Classic Firearms has it for $150.99 and it sells for about $75 more other places I looked.

https://www.crkt.com/provoke-first-responder.html

https://www.classicfirearms.com/columbia-river-knife-4042-provoke-first-responder/

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 01:40:42 PM »
FexEd delivered my knife around 11:30 this morning. Sunday delivery at no extra charge, but I did pay the extra $3 for insurance.

$3.00 - Insured (Recommended) - Full refund or replacement for items lost or damaged during shipping.

$0.00 - Uninsured - No refund or replacement for items lost or damaged during shipping.

That sounds like BS to me. I never heard of anything being shipped by anyone that didn't automatically have a minimum amount of insurance, but maybe FedEx is doing that. I don't normally use them. I ordered a couple other little things I needed, and even with shipping and state tax it was $195 and change total, which I thought was still a good price.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:36:35 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 11:17:40 PM »
I'm always looking for knives with blades 3" long or slightly under, and I bought a Gerber Remix Tactical Knife for 40% off from Sunny Sports. It said that the bade was 3" long but when I got it the package said it was 2.9" long which is even better. There's less room for argument from the Flint TWP. cops about whether it's over 3" long or not. Sunny Sports was also selling footwear and used a picture of these... things in the ad. They're Sorel boots but thankfully the Sorel boots I've been wearing every winter for the last few decades are nothing like that. Women sure wear some weird things on their feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8AdOvhYUzI&feature=emb_logo

I used the Provoke to cut the Remix out of the blister pack, then used the Remix to cut something else out of a small but thick blister pack. I stabbed myself in the thumb and the Remix drew first blood. When I got around to washing my hands the cut was too small to glue together but I smeared Super Glue gel over it with a toothpick a couple of times to make an artificial scab. It doesn't even sting now but I wore a nitrile glove when I finally cleaned my windshield. I wasn't taking any chances.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 06:07:22 AM »
I'll have to remember that Sunny Sports website.  With shipping they are at $28.20 whereas Amazon is $34.99.    A difference of $6.79 or~20% less than Amazon.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1404
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 10:18:13 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8AdOvhYUzI&feature=emb_logo

That knife is very interesting but it looks like the area around the finger hole is small. That makes me think it would be a very weak point. If the knife were to get slapped sideways while open and hit something I would think it will snap in half?????
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 07:34:15 AM »
Quite possible.  Gerber isn't the quality it was in the 80's.  But then....what small utility item is? 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 06:38:02 PM »
3" pocket knives... as a classroom teacher I tried to keep my pocket knife low profile, with no pocket clip used...after a couple of years with a simple Gerber small folder, upgraded to a Spyderco Walker light weight, and in 2007 a Kershaw Leek engraved with the Ft Benning 3 gun match logo was part of the shooter's package... it finished out my teaching career... I spend a lot of time now, sitting in the yard, reading, and the larger Benchmade Aries had a tendency to slip out of my pocket... I just got a second Leek as I want to keep the Ft Benning knife in nicer shape... regards

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk