Author Topic: What's the best handgun caliber 9mm, 10mm, or...  (Read 3871 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
What's the best handgun caliber 9mm, 10mm, or...
« on: November 09, 2020, 02:24:12 AM »
What's the best handgun caliber? Some of people say that 9mm is the best because it has a high magazine capacity. Other people say that 10mm is the best because it has near-magnum power, given the right ammo. I say that 40mm is much better than either of them. This is one of several versions of M203 grenade launcher made by LMT. Sure, it's "only" a single shot, but have you ever heard of anyone needing double taps from a 40mm to take them down? I believe one shot will suffice, thank you very much. And reloading isn't too slow once you get the hang of it. The MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail allows you to mount whatever sights you desire on your pistol. And it's up to you to determine how critical you think shot placement is. "Close" may be close enough. And if you want to add a tactical pistol brace (it only looks like a stock), no problem! They've got you covered there too. LMT has all the 40mm handguns and handgun accessories you need. Maybe you're thinking, "But Frank, I need something for concealed carry." Well, that's where the Shorty 40 comes in. You see, there really is a 40mm pistol for every gun owner and every occasion, whether you want a 7", 9" or 12" barrel length. With or with a stabilizing brace. Iron sights, LPVO, tactical light, bipod, and laser designator for painting targets? Sure, what do you think they make quad-rail adaptors for? It's modular so you can put it together any way you like, just like an AR-15 AKA Lego for adults.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: What's the best handgun caliber 9mm, 10mm, or...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 08:42:37 AM »
In IDPA you just assume 0 points down, but it's a little tougher in USPSA to figure the points.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 09:36:17 AM »
If I wanted a single shot I'd have stuck with .58 cal.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 05:56:53 AM »
I have the .357 Maximum barrel on my Contender at the moment. It's the only blued barrel for my stainless gun. With some of the ammo I got from Reed's Ammunition And Research, it's more powerful than the .44 magnum. I have 10" barrels for both and after a quick look all I could find in the same bullet weight at Reed's was a .44 Mag 200 grain bullet at 1,600 fps and a completely different kind of 200 grain .357 Max. bullet traveling at 1,650 fps.

The best caliber is whatever you're comfortable with and can afford to practice with. If I was going to get into another caliber I think it would be 9mm because they have good defensive ammo now, even if the standard ammo has to be loaded to higher that .45 ACP+P pressures to accomplish anything. The ammo weighs less and it's cheaper. Then I can't be accused of being a .45 snob, not that I ever was. But I really get tired of all the this caliber is too small, that caliber is too slow BS. Just pick one, or better yet. pick more than one and enjoy them. The Ruger-57 looks good too and if they make PC carbine or AR carbine to go with it that would make it more interesting. I don't want to spent a lot of money on a less powerful rifle but like the idea of a high velocity pistol.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 09:17:49 AM »
 Real men carry a NeoPup.
What can I say, we got big deer around here.   ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHbqHx3TLBE

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:47:31 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 09:12:21 PM »
Do they make a handgun in 20mm? I've seen .50 BMG and .577 Tyrannosaur, but never 20mm. I was surprised to see the 40mm M203 pistols. Recoil may be worse than a 12 gauge pistol but I'd try it and see. If there was a semi-auto pistol available in 13mm or 12mm, the calibers the Gyrojet was chambered in but with conventional ammo, I wouldn't mind having one of those. Even if a 12mm bullet failed to expand it would still be 12mm (.49 caliber). If I had the resources I would create a 12x24mm cartridge and a pistol to use it. It would use a single-stack or semi-staggered magazine. There would be too many people who couldn't handle a double-stack 12mm. Maybe 12 rounds of 12mm. A 9 or 10 is okay but I'll take a dozen mm.

You can be big and heavy and have all the penetration you'll ever want, but let's talk more about guns. ;)

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1403
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 07:53:08 AM »
Do they make a handgun in 20mm?

Well, I have heard of a "hand cannon" but this would be "hand field artillery".
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 10:34:18 AM »

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1403
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 10:53:43 AM »
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 03:06:54 PM »
Tom, I guess that will have to do until I get some Big Iron. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzICMIu5zFY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk