Author Topic: Primer Counter - PLC Arduino  (Read 5688 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Primer Counter - PLC Arduino
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 10:49:45 AM »
OH HEAVENS NO! 

I'm not starting any business.  I'm retired and the only schedule I keep is the puppies and the doctors.

Both Hornady and Dillon have there systems.  I could probably interface with their switches, but I like mine.   
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 10:08:21 AM »
DONE:   At least for now.  I need to evaluate the buzzer.  It's a little weak.   And I may add a digital counter display.  Modules are on order to play with.

First I made a new interface board for the Nano.  It is larger and can accommodate wire terminals.   I've allowed for connections to a possible counter display and for an extra/option/external buzzer.   With this setup.  All I have to do is unplug the USB cable from the Nano, which is like a daughter board to the main PCB.  Then I unplug the Nano and can take it to my office for any software upgrades.  Simple

I got a new enclosure.  You can see me marking it off by using another printed circuit board.  Then the box drilled out.   I decided that for strain relief I'd just go with a pop-in plastic ring.  This isn't going to get moved around a lot so strain relief isn't a big issue.  I also cut away all the tie wraps and used a nylon cloth sheath to make the wire look professional.

I carefully painted the box (Hornday red, of course) and heat cured it (140f for an hour).  A picture of everything installed in the box. Finally a picture of the whole setup with the LEDs in the reset mode.

I've loaded 500 rounds with this setup and latest s/w.  It worked really great and has provided me with the warning of missing primer that I've been wanting for some time.   I'm at the bottom of my bucket of brass and some of this brass is in bad shape or has severely crimped primer pockets.  My counter/warning system has worked like a champ. 

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 10:09:09 AM »
Rest of the pictures
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 10:18:29 AM »
Finally.  Just to bore you to tears.  Here's the concept drawing and the PCB layout.
Will work for ammo

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 06:49:29 PM »
Good job Alf!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:30:35 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 08:50:31 PM »
Good job Alf!

Yeah, he seems to be pretty smart fellow.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2021, 10:30:24 AM »
Alf, I am reading your last schematic.  The "Primed Buzzer":  Does this buzz with each primed case (noise means OK), or does it buzz for a malfunction (noise means stop and fix)?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 11:37:42 AM »
One short beep when the Primed switched is trip and the green light comes on.  Aural and visual confirmation.

Two short beeps  every 10th primer, to mark progress.

Four medium long beeps, no lights if the ram goes up and the Primed LED is not lit.

The only thing I might change is add the red lights blinking along with the 4 beeps for the alarm.
Will work for ammo

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 02:47:49 PM »
Working with you in your reloading room must be like working with Kurt Russell in The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes ... Beep Beep Chirp Click Beep  ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 10:41:16 AM »
Had to put aside electronics work, and reloading for 2 months while the wife renovated the basement.   Things finally getting back to normal.

My idea for a fixture to hold the counter was to use an O gauge model railroad billboard.  I'd have the counter in the middle with the Hornady logo above it.  But I want to touchy-feely this before I buy and Wuhan has played havoc with going to train stores.

Then I saw the light.   Why not make a model target and put the counter in the middle of the target.

Voila!

I haven't dressed the wires yet. 

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk