Author Topic: ATF AR Pistol Brace Letter  (Read 1276 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
ATF AR Pistol Brace Letter
« on: December 18, 2020, 08:51:03 PM »
I put this here instead of the NFA thread because it is more a 2A issue then a hardware issue.

From Colion Noir:

The Truth About The ATF Pistol Braces Letter

ATF has put out a letter titled Objective Factors for Classifying Weapons with "Stabilizing Braces" which translates to, let's make up a bunch of blatantly subjective standards to determine if your AR Pistol with an obvious brace on it is actually a Short Barreled Rifle.

Under The National Firearms Act, the ATF considers any rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches a short-barreled rifle. In order to own a Short barreled rifle, you have to Register the rifle, pay a $200 tax and wait for 4-6months for the ATF to say ok you can own this rifle now.

The whole purpose of this is to generate revenue and make it harder for people to own smaller rifles because little did we know smaller rifles shoot deadlier bullets.

This is a Stabilizing Brace, to the untrained eye, it looks like a regular stock you'd see on an AR pistol. However, it's not. It was designed to help people with disabilities shoot AR15's with one hand.  8 years ago,  Alex Bosco from SB Tactical submitted this brace to the ATF to make sure it didn't legally turn what would otherwise be an AR Pistol into a Short barreled rifle. 
The ATF said, "We agree that there are legitimate uses for certain "stabilizing braces" and approved the brace. Over 8 years almost 5 million of these braces were bought by the public. Some people who bought them were disabled and bought the brace to help them shoot and some just wanted something to make their AR pistol look less weird and also easier to shoot. However, you slice it the ATF was cool with it.

Fast forward to December 2020 now the ATF wants to put out this gem of a letter.
To be clear The point of this letter is to let the public know that the ATF is now going to be coming out with official guidelines that they will use to determine if a weapon with a brace on it is a Short Barreled Rifle or Not.  However, before they finalize these guidelines, they want to hear from the public.

We have 14 days to send our comments to the ATF about these guidelines.
No, this letter is not banning Braces, it's a notice letter telling you what they intend to do with certain braces that don't meet their guidelines but the problem is their objective guidelines are literally subjective. 

I'm going to put all the information you need to send your comment to the ATF within those 14 days.

Let's flood them with our disapproval of these guidelines.

Don't curse in your letter, don't insult in your letter, just let the ATF know that  Braces along with stocks make it easier for you to protect yourself and the people you love and all these guidelines only make it harder for the people do this.

Here is how you submit comments:

ADDRESSES:
You may submit comments, identified by docket number ATF 2020R-10, by any of the following methods—

- Federal eRulemaking Portal:
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=ATF-2020-0001-0001

Follow the instructions for submitting comments.

- Mail: Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Ave. NE, Mail Stop 6N-518, Washington DC 20226; ATTN: ATF 2020R-10.

- Fax: (202) 648-9741.
Instructions: All submissions received must include the agency name and docket number (ATF 2020R-10).

All properly completed comments received will be posted without change to the Federal eRulemaking portal, www.regulations.gov, including any personal information provided. For detailed instructions on submitting comments and additional information on the rulemaking process, see the “Public Participation” heading of the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section of this document.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, U.S. Department of Justice,
99 New York Ave. NE, Mail Stop 6N-518, Washington DC 20226;
telephone: (202) 648-7070 (this is not a toll-free number).

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk