Author Topic: Michigan made mead  (Read 1937 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Michigan made mead
« on: December 31, 2020, 07:50:07 AM »
I never tried mead but there's some made in Michigan available in town, so I may give it a try. If I like it I could go to St. Ambrose Cellars in Beulah, MI for Thirsty Thursdays and get 25% off my mead growler and howler (half-growler) refills all day. Of course I wouldn't be able to drive home after drinking it, but there must be hotels in the area. The beekeepers were making spun honey, AKA honey creme and it had too much moisture in it. They tried and tried to dry it out but couldn't get the moisture level low enough, so rather than throw it out, they added water and made mead. They started making still mead and melomel, mead with fruit, then draft mead. Then they started making cyser, a blend of cider and mead. The next thing you know they're making award winning wines.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Michigan made mead
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 08:00:01 AM »
The star thistle they refer to is an invasive species called spotted knapweed. When empty lots or abandoned farms sit for awhile it's one of the first weeds to blow in and it takes over. It's so bad that some states are releasing insects to eat it. But bee keepers love it, and so do the bees, because of the amount of honey per acre they get and it's good honey too. Here are all the still meads they make. 
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 08:07:01 AM »
Here are some of their draft meads. They get creative with some of the names. They must be music fans.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 08:21:34 AM »
More draft mead and a couple of their wines. Not being a wine person I never heard of Cabernet Franc, anything named Franc can't be too bad. :) And their Cottage Red is 100% Marquette grapes. I've head of several different varieties of wine grapes before but never those. They make a brut sparkling wine now too called Revelry that's 50% Chardonnay and 50% Pinot Grigio. It's not Champagne but it won't have a Champagne price tag on it either.

So, who's had mead, and what did you think of it? There must be at least one or two of you worldly travelers who've tried it.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 10:07:21 AM »
Anyone? I don't want to be the first one to try mead. I need someone to tell me what it tastes like first. I know I won't be trying any of the cysers because when I bought a carton of hard cider it tasted like beer with a shot of plain apple cider in it. I really like apple cider and thought I would like hard cider too, but I was wrong.

I've been using Q ginger beer as a mixer for my bourbon and made a couple of drinks using it with spicy rum instead of bourbon. Q is so strong I can't drink it straight except by taking small sips which sometimes makes me cough. That's strong! "Other ginger beers try to be both a spicy soda and a mixer. So they end up doing neither well. Q Ginger Beer is a mixer and a mixer only – it is spicier, more carbonated and less sweet. It is exactly what your vodka, rum, or whiskey is looking for." The ingredients are Carbonated Water, Organic Agave, Citric Acid, Ginger Extract, Extracts of Chili Pepper, Coriander, Cardamom, Lime, and Orange. It's good and spicy and they may as well not put the orange in it, I don't think anyone can taste it. I just taste spicy ginger beer, and when I mixed it with spiced rum, I had so much rum in the mix it tasted sweet instead of spicy. The Kroger store on the other side of of the city where the rest of my family lives has Cock'n Bull ginger beer and diet ginger beer, but not the store I shop at. Cock'n Bull was the originator of the Moscow Mule. I bought a carton of the sugar free Cock'n Bull and I like it as a soft drink and also as a mixer, but Q is still better as mixer.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:01:20 AM »

Bullspit

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 12:10:55 PM »
We make mead here at home. To me it is like a thick wine. Most people prefer the melomel we make with raspberry and mead combined.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 07:11:31 AM »
Thanks Bullspit. I might try it but I'm not convinced I should rush out to buy it. I can't imagine it being much worse than the Mike's Hard and Mike's Harder stuff in the fridge, but I generally get those for free. The Harder Apple was absolutely disgusting and I'll never drink another one of those as long as I remember how bad it was. It smelled okay but tasted like someone already drank it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk