Author Topic: Something silly: a Walking Dead weapons "rant"  (Read 6901 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Something silly: a Walking Dead weapons "rant"
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 09:33:36 AM »
Yep.
What about buzzards and possums?? ....once they can't walk they're fair game. 8)

When they can't walk I think it's called "Unfair Game".   ;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 11:47:41 AM »
When they can't walk I think it's called "Unfair Game".   ;D

Then a good 5-iron would work..... or a #1 driver..... just don't forget to yell fore!! (or recalling a Bugs Bunny clip, "Three and a half!!!).  ;D

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 09:38:09 AM »
I have it on good authority that a 5 iron actually focuses the force more efficiently than a baseball bat .

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 03:14:54 PM »
But really, there should not even be a story more than a couple of weeks after people turn into Z's.  With the heat and the bugs there would be no flesh left....just bone.

Not to ruin it for you guys....but down south the maggots would take those Z's out quickly.

Seeing that the brain is about 60% fat and decomposes faster than any other part of the body, it wouldn't even have to be in the southern heat for the brains to rot away while the rest of the body is still intact. The zombie apocalypse would last days, not decades. So when I see skeletal remains, or half of a body that the the other half rotted away from, but it's still alive, I always have the same question. WTF? Someone on another forum I believe said that the zombie virus preserves the brain somehow. Riiight. I don't know where they got that information. But even a shallow poke in the head that a living person would survive the majority of the time, will destroy that well-preserved brain somehow. Okaaay. That makes perfect NO sense.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 03:32:19 PM »
Guns?

How about gasoline sitting for years!  They have a spin-off now flying choppers 15-18 years after the apocalypse!

With Sta-Bil in it I think gas is good for up to a year if you're lucky, and if you treat it right away. I think 6 months is a more realistic expectation, but without something to preserve it gas starts going bad in a few months. I didn't use my weed whacker for a few years and had some gas for it left in a gas can. When I finally opened it last year it didn't smell like gas or 2-stroke oil, it smelled like paint thinner. I mixed it with used oil and took the jug to my friends' cabin to use for starting fires.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:32:26 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 04:21:54 PM »
There wasn't anything useful in Wikipedia, but this is from the company.

https://www.sta-bil.com.au/

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 05:58:04 PM »
I'm in the middle of watching season nine of the series, and we're something like 8 years after the fall of civilization to the "zed" hordes. As I watch, one thing grinds my gears over everything else:

What are These People (actually, the writers and show runners) Thinking?
  • The most common weapon for zombie elimination, now that ammo is mostly gone and reserved for emergencies, is a small-to-medium-sized fixed blade knife. WTF?
  • They're stabbing a dangerous creature in the head, with an inadequate tool, not far from the most dangerous part (the teeth), and their hands are bare?
  • A few characters use spears, and a small number of swords are in evidence, and bows are finally appearing with some regularity, but with very few exceptions, that's it.
  • There are serious problems with knives:
    • A typical hunting knife is barely adequate, at best, for punching a hole in a zombie skull, even though that cranium is probably weaker that that of a living human.
    • It's a very short-range weapon, bringing the user into close proximity with the threat.
    • A knife offers no means of creating space or blocking attacks: it is a purely offensive weapon, while the people in TWD are frequently outnumbered and fighting defensively.
Some Suggestions:
  • Get some better knives! A few characters, like Daryl, use large, sturdy knives that have a guard to keep the hand from sliding onto the blade. Blacksmiths could imitate something like the Roman pugio or the Japanese hori hori. This last is a simple, very sturdy Japanese gardening knife that can have a thick blade that is sometimes shaped like a very shallow trowel, and is meant for digging and plant trimming. It's also very tough. My hori hori is thick-bladed, tough, and well made. It was also inexpensive and came from Japan. It would be my choice for facing Zs with a knife, though I'd add a good guard and make some changes to the handle for its new purpose.
  • Add some polearms! A fairly short, two-handed weapon -- like a poleaxe, naginata, hewing spear, flail, or maul -- offers a great deal more power for the task. In the Society for Creative Anachronism, I used an English billhook: a martial version of a gardener's brush hook. I quickly learned that I needed little force to strike a serious blow. Contrary to what we see in movies, I never swung 180 degrees -- heck, I rarely used a 45 degree arc. This makes the weapon quicker than people expect, and it keeps it in front of the fighter, making him or her less vulnerable to counterattack. A poleam -- even a short (4- to 5-foot overall length) polearm -- allows the user to keep some distance from the opponent. Less risk of being bitten. Moreover, the butt and the haft of the polearm can be used to block, strike or shove an opponent. Look how effective Morgan and Henry have been with a staff! Put a small axe blade and spike on one end, and even more things are possible.
  • Use shields! Small- or medium-sized shields are easy to make, not hard to carry, and multiply the options for the person using one. Rather than having an empty hand, a shield can be used to block, to trap (prevent a strike, rather than blocking it), to shove, or to strike -- with the flat of the shield, with a shield boss (a raised metal dome, usually at or near the middle, often with a handle behind it), or with the edge. Smaller shields are used actively, rather than hiding behind them passively. Some methods include a large dirk or dagger in the shield hand, or a spike in the middle of a small roundshield, and/or a metal-reinforced edge. A small round, like the highland targe, can probably do more damage to a zombie than most of the knives we see on the show.
  • Work together! We see some of this on the show, but the survivors should have figured this out long ago. The Roman Army had several key advantages, but one of the biggest was an organized, systematic approach to combat. If a Roman century, legion or other unit could deploy in formation to meet a foe, they could often defeat more numerous opponents. Now imagine the survivors facing the Zs with a line of fighters with shields and short swords or one-hand clubs or maces, whose job is primarily to tie the zombies down and make them easy targets for spear users behind them. Other fighters with bows and other missile weapons work the flanks and rear of their group, protecting the others and picking off Zs that try to go around the line. Ideally, the line would be deployed in a place where the flanks are protected by rocks, water, buildings, whatever.

On the positive side, we've seen armor being worn from early in the show, and it has improved and now looks much more practical as the show progresses. The concept is simple: protect the places that tend to get bitten most, like the hands, forearms, neck, shoulders and face.

I know this is silly, but I wish TV writers did more research. Instead, we see characters behave in super-risky behavior over and over. Only rarely (Carl Grimes is a recent example), does their usual, dangerous, grab-and-stab method turn out badly.

Sorry for venting! The show's gotten better, but in nine seasons I can't remember a single shield! Really? The folks running the show would probably be shocked to see how a highlander's targe, dirk and sword are used together by a skilled fighter.

</RANT>

Dirty Bob

Great suggestions Dirty Bob.

For knives I think one of the longer dirks, like many of the traditional naval dirks would be a good choice. The blades are long enough to achieve deep penetration while your hand is still about a foot away.

As for pole arms, I just so happen to have a poleaxe. For no particular reason other than it was on sale, and I like weapons of all kinds. It's 6' 1.25" long to the tip of the blade, and has about a 1.8" square hammer head opposite the edge that would smash a skull as easily as an egg. Since zombies don't ride horses I wouldn't need that much reach and would shorten the handle. A steel spike on the end of the handle would be a nice addition too. I think a war hammer would suit me better than the poleaxe, since it would be easier for me to wield. I also have a spear 5' 9.5" long with a narrow head. The blade is only about 1.8" wide and 9.25" long. The shaft isn't much larger than a broom handle and it only weighs a fraction of the heavy poleaxe.

When you were talking about shields I was thinking about a buckler, but not one of the really small ones. I'm right-handed to such a degree it's like being handicapped. My left hand wouldn't be much good for anything besides holding a shield and moving it around. I figured that out many, many years ago. I have 2 swords and could probably use either of them one-handed if I really had too, but they're both two-handed swords, at least to me. A buckler and a long dirk or light sword would be a good combo against the undead or the living.

I think a mace, war hammer, or other non-edged weapon would be a better choice than a sword for most people, myself included. You don't have to worry about which edge is the sharp edge to attack with, or to avoid contact with it. And the best part about blunt objects by definition is, you never have to sharpen them or worry about ruining the edge. Plus, if you break one you might be the kind of person who could break a hammer with an egg, and a relatively fragile sword would last no time in your hands. I would only recommend a flail to someone willing to take time to learn how to use it properly. It's not a "here's your weapon, we're going on patrol" type of thing. BTW, one of my usernames is war hammer, WarHammer2000, actually. WarHammer was already taken so I added the number 2000 to it. I remember when that number tacked onto something used to sound so futuristic. ;D

Work together. Yeah, that happens sometimes. So does one of the other things you mentioned but I won't say which one.

I'll explain what the funny looking hammer in the picture is. It was a reproduction Vietnam era tomahawk that the wooden handle was really loose on. I threw it at a tree and the head bounced off in one direction and the handle went another. So I flattened the end of a 3/4" pipe into an oval and welded it into the head, then filled it solid with more welding. I also made made the handle longer so I had more leverage to chop with it. I slid on a new motorcycle grip and capped the end with a regular pipe cap. Then I ground the bottom lip off the grip so it would slide into the belt case that I enlarged the hole in. And I still couldn't stick it in a tree. I have 2 axes for chopping wood, plus an entrenching tool blade with pieces of the same 3/4" pipe welded into a long T-handle that chops good sized branches off in a single swipe. So I cut the top and bottom off the tomahawk blade but kept the middle section nearly full-length. I only cut off enough to square it up. And I welded and ground and welded and ground, until I had a hammer head. And I welded a bolt onto the pipe cap and built it up with more welding before I ground it to shape. It had some very small defects here and there around the head that I didn't want to weld over again, so I dabbed on a wee bit of epoxy before I filed, sanded, and painted it. And I keep it in the back of my truck in a plastic tub full of camping gear to pound in tent stakes. The face of the hammer looks really crooked to me in the picture, but it's probably only a degree or two off of parallel and works great. The head is 7 5/8" long and the overall length is about 18 1/4". The point at the end of the handle has dulled a little from jabbing it into the ground, etc. but it was so sharp it hurt to lightly tap my finger on it.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2021, 06:27:28 PM »
There wasn't anything useful in Wikipedia, but this is from the company.

https://www.sta-bil.com.au/

They say 24 months but I still wouldn't try to save it more than 12. Not with the cheap oxygenated crap we have for gas nowadays. The weed whacker gas in my can had Sta-Bil in it and went bad because it was longer than 2 years. The gas tank was filled from the can so that turned out the same way. My carb might need to be rebuilt before it ever runs again. I think I'm going to buy a cordless weed whacker instead. My friend can fix this one if it needs to be fixed, and use it until he can't find or jury-rig replacement parts for it anymore. My gas may have been 4 years old but still turned into paint thinner within 2 years after the Sta-Bil quit working and probably sooner than that. If you can get a car to run on one year old untreated gas it would be something worthy of a YouTube video. The Walking Dead people driving around with 10-year old untreated gas is less realistic than some of the other things that bug a lot of people.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 12:02:50 PM »
On a couple of very rare occasions, I have seen cars that had been sitting for many years (one was over 20) and they started and ran on old gas that was in the tank after a plug/wire change and adjusting the points.
I don't know if it was a testament to the particular brand of gas that was left in it or to the ignition and fuel system.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 01:51:15 PM »
Isn’t ethanol the issue with old gas?

I used 93 octane, ethanol free fuel in my small motors with no stabilizing agent for several seasons with no issues

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk