Author Topic: Is it possible to do skinning with a bowie knife?  (Read 5287 times)

jackplans

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is it possible to do skinning with a bowie knife?
« on: March 02, 2021, 03:27:41 AM »
Is it possible to do skinning with a bowie knife?

A better tool for skinning a deer is a skinning knife. A skinning knife has a curved blade about 3 inches long that can be used to cut through the hide of an animal.

The reason why you don't want to use a bowie knife for skinning is because the blade can easily slip and cause injury during the process.

You may also want to consider using an electric fillet knife if you're going to be
you're going to be cutting through tough meat.

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: Is it possible to do skinning with a bowie knife?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 02:07:57 PM »
Good Luck.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 03:11:34 PM »
It can be done...but I doubt it'll be pretty as far as intricate cuts to save as much meat as possible.

My younger son processes a lot of deer each season and the best knives are small blades like boning knives, a round bellied knife, and one with a gut hook.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 01:58:10 AM »
Anything is possible with lots of practice, but a little jackknife in your pocket will be a lot easier to use than a big-@$$ Bowie knife. If you're limited to one knife, bigger is not better in my opinion, unless you're skinning something BIG, like a whale. Not a skinner, just a hold these legs for me guy, so not an expert.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 06:49:47 AM »
Watched a guy on a survival show process a moose with a leatherman. Not the ideal thing to process anything with but it can be done. I prefer the old timer sharpfinger for general task of gutting and skinning. As for processing meat. A filet knife is the best.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:45:19 PM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 08:44:32 AM »
A Bowie with an extra grip might work for skinning an elephant...maybe a rhino.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 01:20:58 PM »
My field knife. Is an older 4" Randell, I use maybe the last 2 inchs of it when dressing an elk.   Lots of guys have gone to the "surgical  blae" replacement knives. Which I would switch  to in a heart beat if I did not have such a attachment to my field knife.  Lots of sentimental value tied too it.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 11:20:25 PM »
I've seen more of the "surgical skinning knives" lately. Maybe just because there was more hunting stuff in the online catalogs I was looking at the last few months.

Anyone who hasn't sharpened their knives with a double bevel ought to give it a try. It doesn't matter which angles you prefer to use. I'll just say 15 and 20 degrees because a lot of people use those. First of all, NEVER use oil on a whetstone. The word is WHET as in whet (sharpen) your appetite, not WET. Some people hear the word whet and think a stone has to be wet. Use it dry, and when it get a little bit dusty, blow on it or brush it off with a bench brush, file card or other brush. Using oil traps all the abrasive particles and steel particles where your knife edge will keep running into them. You can get a knife sharper if the edge of blade isn't constantly hitting crap that will dull it. Or use oil, it's your knife.

Anyway, sharpen your knife really sharp on a fine stone to your chosen angle, like 15 degrees. Then use an extra fine stone, or fine if you don't have extra fine, to sharpen it even more to your second angle of maybe 20 degrees. If you do it right you'll have a very sharp edge with very little metal behind the edge at the second angle you sharpened it to. I'm sure there's a better way to explain it. I should see if the book I have on sharpening has any illustrations. The guy who wrote it is in the Guinness Book of World Records for his blade sharpening ability. He took a dull ax that looked like someone tried cutting rocks with, and within a matter of minutes had it shaving sharp. I never tried doing a triple bevel edge because you need some kind of guide to hold the blade and stone at the proper angles, and go through the work of sharpening it 3 times. Twice is enough, and the second time is fast if you do everything by eyeball instead of setting up a jig to hold everything just right.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 11:47:19 AM »
I shave with a straight razor.  I know what it takes to sharpen and keep something sharp.  That being said if I can carry something that is half the weight of a piece of kit that does the exact same job, I am all for it.  How much does a sharpening stone weigh?  I can assure you its a lot more than 6 replacement blades.

Pretty much my  entire group of hunting buddies has changed over.   Its pretty easy to understand, lighter, sharper and a fraction of the cost.   I bought one to play around with.  I like it, it just not have any sentiment  value too me.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1404
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 12:46:40 PM »
My field knife. Is an older 4" Randell, I use maybe the last 2 inchs of it when dressing an elk.   

Last time I just used the last 2 inches my wife slapped the crap out of me.

(Well someone had to make the joke) ;^)
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk