Author Topic: Fun project: homemade ammo  (Read 3352 times)

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
Fun project: homemade ammo
« on: March 09, 2021, 10:27:30 PM »
I'm about to start a project: homemade ammo. In this crazed time, when some calibers seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth, I've made a small quantity of black powder, cast some "Big Lube" bullets, and made a batch of Gatofeo #1 lube (a 19th C. recipe that works with black powder). I'm also planning to try "recharging" some primers from scavenged range brass, using paper roll caps (I'm NOT going to try making mercury fulminate or some other dangerous concoction).

It should be fun to see if I can make workable .45 Colt ammo from fired brass, with no new primers, powder, lube or bullets. I consider the paper caps VERY corrosive, unlike the black powder, which draws water, but is not corrosive in and of itself. I'll be dropping the cases into water -- probably with Windex -- to stop any reactions on the brass. The pistol will be cleaned right away with Ballistol.

I've always been interested in black powder cartridges. I'll be using these in a Remington New Model Army ("1858 Remington"), with a Kirst conversion cylinder which dropped in and functions beautifully. Do I need to do this? Nah, but I want to try black powder, and the ammo shortage gives me an excuse. I also like the idea of having some independence from the supply chains, even if it's just for practice or recreational ammo.
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

tombogan03884

Re: Fun project: homemade ammo
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 08:01:36 AM »
Remember what 3Fingers Hayduke said .
SAFETY FIRST !    ;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 07:24:10 PM »
Primers are always the weak link. It'll be cool if you can make it work.

Side note: I know folks with primers but are low on certain powders. You can use black powder or Pyrodex, which may be easier to find right now, in metallic cartridges. Biggest thing to remember is it needs to be a compressed load.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 07:51:44 AM »
You might be able to use black powder compressed loads, that's how Rubin developed his small bore bullets.
But you will run into exactly the same piss poor reliability as every one else who has run black powder through anything other than manual actions.
If it's that desperate club somebody and take their real ammo.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 03:03:26 PM »
Most older metallic cartridges were designed for black powder to begin with, so there should be no issues there. But because BP ignites and differently (controlled explosion vs regulated high speed burn) than smokeless the case must be, at a minimum, full (or you'll get ruptured cases).... that's why I've always heard to run slightly compressed loads.

The biggest issue will be reliable ignition with homemade primers.You may need to open the flash hole some.

**EDIT**
I've read about folks taking apart nail gun blanks to use the primer compound to reload used primers as well as making match head primers.
There is also a product 'out there' on the interwebz called Prime All for mixing priming compound.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:51:42 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 07:57:32 AM »
Now there's a thought.  Take the blanks from nail guns, drill out the primer pocket so you can use the blank as a primer.  Of course the firing pin is going to need to be offset as its a Rimfire.  Wonder if a TC with selectable firing pin would work?  Or drill the hole off center.  Some issues, but reloading would be faster
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 10:16:50 AM »
Drilling the hole off center would be the easiest method.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 10:20:08 AM »
I just want to be able to buy primers... I have 10000s of bullets, 10000s of brass, 100# of powder and zero primers
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 03:26:43 PM »
primers are available, IF you're willing to pay scalpers prices for them.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 05:43:15 PM »
primers are available, IF you're willing to pay scalpers prices for them.
I do not pay slcapers. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk