Author Topic: MSWE 2021 -- Heads Up  (Read 6012 times)

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1384
Re: MSWE 2021 -- Heads Up
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 08:45:17 AM »
You may have a higher SWR stringing it up as an inverted V.

Wow. I did not know it used 75 Ohm. I also don't know if I can get it to the 34ft height. Something to think about now.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 559
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 08:52:55 AM »
10 degrees won't hurt you at all.  There is very little signal that low. 

If you go flat top with the G5RV it should tune better. 

Do you have an antenna tuner?  I have a 74'-75' circular loop (20 meters) hanging in a tree 4' off the ground that works better than anything I've had before...with a caveat.  It has to be fed on the side parallel to ground with ladder line (~450 ohm) and tuned.  I use it on 80, 40, 20, 15, 12, and 10 meters.  Sometimes I can tune in 17 meters.  But I need a tuner and it has some weird lobes when off 20 meters...but most antennas do have lobes when not in the band designed for. 

Anything you can buy made up is cheaper done just buying the components: https://thewireman.com/

There is a ton of data out there on building various dipoles, loops, etc.  The Villages development has a ham club (do a search on The Villages Ham Radio) that has some excellent information out there.  The best presentation I have seen on antenna efficiency and cost is this one:  https://www.hamfesters.org/main/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Stealth-Antenna-Guide.pdf

Here's one on stealth:
https://www.k4vrc.com/uploads/1/0/1/5/10156032/present-tvarc_antenna_guide.pdf
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 08:53:53 AM »
Wow. I did not know it used 75 Ohm. I also don't know if I can get it to the 34ft height. Something to think about now.

Put a balun on it and don't worry about the 75 Ohm....

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 09:03:19 AM »

Do you have an antenna tuner?

Yes. I have a Yeasu FTdx3000 with a built-in tuner and an FT847 with an external tuner (200-watt rating)

I do have trees on my lot but the feed from trees to my shack would exceed 70 feet and I am not sure how the power at the antenna would faire. I fear too much signal loss due to length of feed line.

I do have a 200 ft straight line fence that is close enough from where co-ax would enter my shack but, of course, it is not really high enough to be of value. I can probably put up poles against each end for support of the antenna but no way to get them to 35ft.

I guess it will be a project for this summer.  ;^)
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 09:45:37 AM »
70ft isn't a problem unless you have high SWR's.  Get some of the 450 Ohm window or ladder line.  If you aren't running power then the 16 or 18 gauge will be fine.  https://thewireman.com/product-category/feed-lines/ladder-line/  You can cover that 70 ft for under $35 or so and because it is balanced line run 150 ft and have less loss than than 50 ft of coax.

To crossover back to coax I have one of these:  https://www.gigaparts.com/mfj-911h.html  I used this before I had the AT4K tuner. 

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:17:49 AM »

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 09:48:52 AM »
I'll try it.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 09:54:35 AM »
I haven't looked at the KY distribution for ships' sites, so I don't know how NVIS would work for you. We used to live in Lexington on the downslope of a hill, and I used NVIS to reach out to FL.

Here on the coast of GA I intend to try both a 17' vertical and an NVIS random wire end-fed. Note I live in an HOA so they need to be temporary AND I am surrounded by woods immediately to the north and east. I do have clearance to the west, but the house will block to the south. I expect the NVIS configuration alone to bring in maybe a dozen ships - if I can remember how to operate my radio. It's been a while . . . .
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 09:58:17 AM »
Pathfinder you have plenty of time to catch up!

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2021, 07:05:38 AM »
Less than a week to get ready guys!  They are up to 75 ships now and I've never seen a year where there were not some added a few days before the event. 

I think I'm going to try and put up that 5BTV today.  I may set up a 75 meter delta loop this week.  That's really iffy for me I have a lot to accomplish this week.  But I do have my 20 meter loop up and running and I think I'm going to also take down the 6 meter dipole and replace it with a 15 or 17 meter dipole.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 09:33:39 AM »
Still 75 ships listed but 9 are pending their final Wuhan Flu directives from the people who run the museums.

Mr. Kennedy....get that skyhook up?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk