Author Topic: Galvanic Corrosion HELP !!  (Read 4400 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Galvanic Corrosion HELP !!
« on: April 16, 2021, 10:47:55 AM »
These photos are of the bottom track of my master bedroom slider, viewed from the inside. The top photo is as it looked before I cleaned it. The bottom photo is after I dug out as much of the corrosion has I could with an Awl. I've never seen anything like this, except on neglected battery terminals. It's the same type of crusty, yellow powdery material.

As you can see it has eaten completely through the lower casing of the slider itself. What you're looking at, is a little over a years worth. I noticed it after we moved in, and I cleaned it. It is definitely growing, and I have no idea how to stop it. I'm hesitant to go to a window and door place, because they'll just try to sell me a new slider. I don't want to replace it until I know what is causing it.

I have another identical slider in my dining room that has no such issues. It also is on the same side of the house, facing the back patio as this one is. Has anyone ever seen, or had to deal with anything like this on an Aluminum window casement? The covered concrete patio butts up to the outside of the bedroom wall. There is no soil or moisture problem anywhere around the effected area. You can see the cool decking just outside the window in the top photo.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Galvanic Corrosion HELP !!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 04:41:07 PM »
Just a guess, but is it possible that the lime in the cement is leaching into the channel with condensation?
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 05:10:03 PM »
Is there any possibility that the sill is flashed with copper?

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 05:20:40 PM »
Is there any possibility that the sill is flashed with copper?

I doubt it because that would create a like condition for both sliders. And the other unit is flawless. Also they don't use much, if any copper out here. We get very little rain, and an extremely low relative humidity. Lake Havasu City is one of the driest cities in the nation.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 08:09:59 AM »
How far away is your ground?
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:56:32 PM »

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 08:14:24 AM »
Bill, to get that much galvanic action requires either a stray electrical current, or two dissimilar metals in close proximity in the presence of liquid of some type (essentially making a battery).  Since you are in Arizona, the liquid needed appears unlikely to be present.  But, it also appears that either grid wire or pencil rod has been exposed in the underlying slab immediately adjacent to the affected area.  If that grid is near any sort of transformer or a non-isolated power line, it may be acting like a generator and producing low levels of current.  It may be possible to determine this if you have a volt meter that shows low level voltage.  Since it also appears that the underlying cement has effervesced, that could be the problem.  Without actually seeing this and taking some readings, this is only a guess.  But it is something you could check.  Water intrusion remains a possibility if there are H2O pipes in the slab. You might have some sort of electrolysis going on in the pipes. To rule out this possibility you would need access to a moisture meter.  Check with mold investigation or leak detector companies. They should have the equipment.  See if they will check that small area of cement on the cheap for you.

FWIW, I have seen a lot of galvanic damage in my life, but something like your pics show has nearly always been from some sort of liquid (normally water) intrusion.  Good luck on sorting this out.  In the meantime, you can get a spray like Corrosion X https://www.corrosionx.com/products/corrosionx that may provide a temporary solution.
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 08:16:01 AM »
How far away is your ground?

Ground as in dirt? Or ground as in electrical ground?

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 08:20:47 AM »
Bill, to get that much galvanic action requires either a stray electrical current, or two dissimilar metals in close proximity in the presence of liquid of some type (essentially making a battery).  Since you are in Arizona, the liquid needed appears unlikely to be present.  But, it also appears that either grid wire or pencil rod has been exposed in the underlying slab immediately adjacent to the affected area.  If that grid is near any sort of transformer or a non-isolated power line, it may be acting like a generator and producing low levels of current.  It may be possible to determine this if you have a volt meter that shows low level voltage.  Since it also appears that the underlying cement has effervesced, that could be the problem.  Without actually seeing this and taking some readings, this is only a guess.  But it is something you could check.  Water intrusion remains a possibility if there are H2O pipes in the slab. You might have some sort of electrolysis going on in the pipes. To rule out this possibility you would need access to a moisture meter.  Check with mold investigation or leak detector companies. They should have the equipment.  See if they will check that small area of cement on the cheap for you.

FWIW, I have seen a lot of galvanic damage in my life, but something like your pics show has nearly always been from some sort of liquid (normally water) intrusion.  Good luck on sorting this out.  In the meantime, you can get a spray like Corrosion X https://www.corrosionx.com/products/corrosionx that may provide a temporary solution.

All my water supply lines run through the walls and in the attic. They are all sweat soldered copper. There are no water supply lines running under or in the slab to my knowledge. There are drains however. (Plastic PVC).

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 09:30:31 AM »
Ground as in dirt? Or ground as in electrical ground?

Electrical.

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 09:57:43 AM »
https://www.swisco.com/discussions/Electrolysis-damage-on-sliding-glass-door-77-71589

Looks like a similar issue where chemicals in the concrete create an issue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk