Author Topic: What have you been up to lately? This is what I did.  (Read 2362 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
What have you been up to lately? This is what I did.
« on: April 29, 2021, 11:56:51 AM »
I haven't been around the forum much this year, so I thought I'd catch you up on what I've been doing lately. Three weeks ago I accidentally hit a car head on, at an angle in a Y intersection. I hit more on the passenger side, and it looks like corner of their bumper hit in the middle of mine and bent a small V shape into it. That pushed the entire front end of the truck about a foot to the right and a foot back. The hood still looks straight, so the pictures give you an idea what happened to everything below hood level. If the impact was much harder I would have had a COE, cab over engine, Chevy truck like these 1950-ish old timers. I walked away from the accident mostly intact, but the 2 people in the car took an ambulance to the hospital. I think the passenger's right foot was fractured by the impact. As the saying goes, whoever has the most lug nuts wins.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: What have you been up to lately? This is what I did.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 12:00:40 PM »
It's been 40 years since I totaled my 1/2 year old Dodge Ramcharger. I've been driving this truck 20 1/2 years. If the pattern repeats, in 80 years, I'll total out whatever I've been driving for the last 40 1/2 years. And if I'm still driving when I get to around 140 years old, let Guinness World Records know that I'm still alive and kicking.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 12:06:21 PM »
Both airbags deployed and I think glass particles or something too small to see was injected into one knuckle through a line of tiny puncture marks. It got infected, but I scrubbed it really hard with a stiff plastic brush and soap. It opened right up like tearing a piece of paper along the perforations. It was incredibly painful but the infection was gone and it healed up very fast.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 01:08:10 PM »
It's good that you're OK!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 02:06:56 PM »
Glad you're okay.   NEAT TRUCKS.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:04:52 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 02:51:41 PM »
As hobbies go I guess it beats getting married .
But not by much, still going to be expensive.    :-\

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 07:09:55 AM »
It's good that you're OK!

Thanks, Bill. OK is relative, and I've been hurt worse, so I'm not "OK," but I'm OK if you know what I mean. I don't bounce back and land on my feet like a kid anymore.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 08:49:24 AM »
Glad you're okay.   NEAT TRUCKS.

Thanks. When they're made with the engine under the cab they're pretty neat, but when the engine gets smushed in there by accident, that's a different matter.

One of my army friends down at Ft. Polk had a COE van with the engine directly between the seats. He had to cut out the left rear corner of the engine cover and box it in with sheet metal when he put a bigger engine in it. He was a machinist who made all kinds of hardware and stuff from scratch, so figuring that out wasn't too hard for him. It looked like a first generation 1964–1966 Chevy G10 van with the flat front end. The biggest engine they ever came with was an optional 140 hp 'Hi-Torque' 230 cu in straight-six. He managed to wedge a small block Chevy V-8 in it. GM engineers did the same thing in the second generation G20 van when the engine cover was widened and lengthened. It was fast, or at least it felt fast. His van was plain red like the one in the picture, but darker red IIRC.

Ford and Dodge both made COE vans and pickup trucks around the same time and everything looked fairly similar, especially the Ford and Chevy vans and trucks of certain model years. Ford also made bigger COE trucks like the Chevy trucks I posted earlier.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 09:21:33 AM »
What no VW Pickup with the folding side that made it into a flatbed?   It also had a belly box.  My dad owned one for a couple of years. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 09:43:58 AM »
When I'm not destroying things I like to build things. "Build and Destroy", just like the motto on the unit crest of 391st Engineer Battalion.

I finally got the last of the tools and parts I want for my AR folding stock project. I finally bought an AR upper and lower vise block set, instead of using home-made vise jaws on the barrel for everything. I thought I was ready to get it all together but decided to get one more thing, after the last couple of things I thought were all I was buying. I never went to bed last night, and even if I get to sleep and wake up before dark, I still won't have time to work on it. I only mowed my grass once this year and it's a week overdue.

The X Products AR15 billet upper on the can cannon is a sloppy fit on my DPMS lower, even with an accu-wedge, so I bought a new accu-wedge. That and a new castle nut for my carbine stock got here Thursday. I'll pop the wedge in real quick when I open the gun safe for something else. Maybe it will help.

I got a whole bunch of stuff for my Mech-Tech CCU and will start a thread on that before I start putting it back together. I need to take a couple more pics of the parts first.

I got the last 2 parts I need for my shotgun, I think. I bought those with the shipments of CCU parts.

I got 2 parts for my oldest .45, but it will probably be a couple of months until I fit them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk