Author Topic: I'm Tempted, What Do You Think ??  (Read 2550 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: I'm Tempted, What Do You Think ??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 05:20:22 PM »
I have had really bad luck with off brand chain saws.   The motors are fine its every thing else that breaks.   Sthil and echo have been flawless, even when I have bought them used and abused.

Also is the warranty  bring it back to Walmart and they give you a new one, or do you have to take it some place else
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 05:58:36 PM »
I thought the same of Stihl, and Echo, when they came out.    ;D
Thought the old man was nuts for passing up a Homolite in favor of Jonsered .
The Jonsered (Husquavarna's original brand name) turned out to be twice the saw the Homolite was.
It cut a sh!tload of lumber.   ;D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 07:28:49 PM »
Just do it.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 02:43:07 AM »
I have had really bad luck with off brand chain saws.   The motors are fine its every thing else that breaks.   Sthil and echo have been flawless, even when I have bought them used and abused.

Also is the warranty  bring it back to Walmart and they give you a new one, or do you have to take it some place else

This I'm not sure about. Here is what it say's about the "Protection Plan" in the link you click on:

Get years of protection for just pennies a day.

Plan covers:

Mechanical & Electrical Failures
Item Failures During Normal Use, or from Normal Wear & Tear
Other Common Malfunctions
Plan includes:

24/7 Customer Support
Easy Online Claims
Fast Repairs or Replacements
Protect it today. Enjoy it for years.

Simply add a Walmart Protection Plan to your order and checkout as usual. There is no need to register your plan for it to be active. We’ll send plan details to your email address after purchase.

Award-winning protection backed by Allstate

Allstate has been protecting people and the things they love most for over 85 years. So you know your purchase is in good hands.

So........................ Wal-Mart has always been more of a, "Trash & Replace" type place, than they are a repair joint. Plus, considering the low cost of the thing from the get go, they really can't afford to put many, if any, man hours into diagnosing and fixing whatever is wrong with it. Especially considering the cost of packaging and shipping it back and forth. It would be more economical for them to just toss it and give you a new one. Unless it was something that was quickly and easily replaceable.

It say's this whole thing is run by Allstate Insurance. They, as a rule don't fix anything. They just survey the damage, cut a check and move on. Not to mention parts for this thing are probably more scarce than a hooker with a Bible. (Other than a 20" chain which you can buy most anywhere).

I got a big ass palm tree stump in my backyard, that the previous owners left standing about 4 feet tall. It looks like $h!t, and a landscaper is going to charge me more than this saw cost, to cut it off flush with the ground and haul it away. So my big brainstorm is to get the cheap ass saw, cut it off myself, and have the saw for basically free when I'm done. I can cut up what's left into small pieces, and throw it out with the trash. 

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:15:12 AM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 08:31:33 AM »
I use a chain saw very infrequently, so after the Champion died several hurricanes ago, I went with an electric saw... I throw the 2200W inverter generator in the utility trailer hooked to the John Deere and have portable power needed for my limited use... regards

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 06:58:10 AM »
<snip>
I got a big ass palm tree stump in my backyard, that the previous owners left standing about 4 feet tall. It looks like $h!t, and a landscaper is going to charge me more than this saw cost, to cut it off flush with the ground and haul it away. So my big brainstorm is to get the cheap ass saw, cut it off myself, and have the saw for basically free when I'm done. I can cut up what's left into small pieces, and throw it out with the trash.

Good plan.  For me I would bypass the insurance since it's pretty much a single use item.  You are essentially getting it for free and if it chokes and dies on that first job the standard sales/warranty should cover it. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 10:35:07 AM »
I ordered it. It's supposed to arrive by the 12th. I didn't get the warranty. If it's still running and cutting after I'm done with my stump removal project, it should be good for anything else I might have in store for it. I'll probably have to mount the bar and chain. Then I'll run it for about a half hour at low RPM to break it in. I think they require a 25:1 gas oil mix. I've got gas and oil so I'm good to go.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 04:17:49 PM »
So it came today Fed Ex around noon. I took it out of the box and installed the bar and chain. I had to go to Tractor Supply and get some 2-Stroke oil and bar and chain oil. I filled it with oil and gas, (I'm running 20:1 mix to break it in), and it started on the second pull! I ran it for about 20 minutes at low RPM.

The oiler works too well. It really slings oil on the chain. But overall it runs like a raped ape! I'll run it some more tomorrow morning. It was getting pretty hot out there today. So overall, so far so good. I'll try cutting the stump over the weekend. We'll see how it goes. But so far, it's not a bad looking and running saw for only $160.00.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk