Author Topic: .22lr fixed sight upper for SBR  (Read 5222 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .22lr fixed sight upper for SBR
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2022, 07:08:26 PM »
birthday was great... some shooting friends took me out for Japanese food (I'd been stationed in Japan 1971)... and had a good enough run on "Outer Limits" to get my A card in rim fire rifle open..

I've seen Quicksilver on the shelves at some auto parts stores

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2022, 06:58:50 PM »
well I found out I need to change my sighting technique when shooting the iron sight... I normally just get a good cheek weld on the SOCOM stock, and look at the target when shooting the HS 510... the gun comes up on target and the dot is centered... well, no so for me with the Irons... found I am considerably more consistent if I  track with a sight picture with fiber optic front centered in rear aperture to the target... 75 year old dog, new trick... regards

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2022, 07:51:35 PM »
75.  You gotta be my idol.  Hope for me 9 years junior.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2023, 07:04:31 PM »
All you have to do is crop the picture to get rid of unwanted area and resize it down to <150K, then Marshall will let you upload it directly to this site. 

This doesn't require fancy s/w.   I use a free utility called IrFanView.  (Windows only)  I got it because it will do batch conversions but so simple to do simple crop/size things one at a time as well.  Loads 10x faster than Photoshop too.   I bet there's something similar if you're a MAC addict.

A maximum 500 Kb per pic, and 4,000 Kb total per post. Since you can only post 6 pics, it's a maximum of 3,000 Kb, making the 4,000 Kb limit meaningless and stupid/edundant.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2023, 07:28:11 PM »
Rastus... the Quicksilver 2 stroke oil idea came from a friend (30+ years ago) that at the time had a go-fast boat that was running a Mercury 3L outboard... he had problems with spark plugs fouling ... the Quicksilver oil dissipated carbon for him, and at the time worked well for me shooting a 1911 (back when MB was shooting in the Tampa Bay area)... have used it since, but got away for a time using Hornady One Shot... the One Shot dry lube did not accumulate fouling, but didn't seem to lubricate the firing pins as well as the liquid oil... 

as for the number of shots.... Steel Challenge consist of 8 specific target arrays, and there is very active Steel Challenge shooting community here in the Tampa Bay area, offering lots of opportunity to shoot... and with the price of small pistol primers, I can shoot one .22lr cheaper than a primer alone ...one local range has a Friday and Saturday 5 stage match each month, and a practice match (3 target arrays we shoot twice) each non match Friday... the Wyoming Antelope Club in Pinellas Park has a 6 stage match monthly, and Gun Craft range in Ruskin has a complete 8 stage match monthly...5 shots (minimum) per stage, 5 runs is 25 rounds per stage x 5 or 8 stages is 125-200 minimum a match...so I'm averaging over 1200/month... the .22lr is much harder on equipment than any of the other shooting sports I've be in... regards Les

A lot of people don't realize it, but the maximum pressure for .22 Long Rifle is 3,000 PSI higher than it is for .45 ACP+P. It's very close to the halfway point between .45 ACP and .45 Super! At that kind of working pressure, something's going to give now and then.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:00:10 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2023, 09:56:24 AM »
A lot of people don't realize it, but the maximum pressure for .22 Long Rifle is 3,000 PSI higher than it is for .45 ACP+P. It's very close to the halfway point between .45 ACP and .45 Super! At that kind of working pressure, something's going to give now and then.

Well, I did not know that.  And...this is a good thread to resurrect!

Les it's been a while now...how is all that kit working in the long run? 

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2023, 01:50:59 AM »
When people say, "It's just a .22.", they really do underestimate the horsepower under the hood, so to speak. I had a ruptured case blow parts clear out of my gun before. The only other ruptured case I remember was a .45 ACP that I didn't know failed until I picked up my brass.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2023, 09:34:58 PM »
Rastus... I pretty much just shoot the rifle now, and the pistol for an "outlaw" two gun rimfire challenge match once a month.... the heat has been brutal, and my weird sleep patterns has caused me to not shoot back to back matches on successive days

I'm right handed and dominant right eye, so I prefer to shoot right to left as my non dominant eye can track the next to engage target... I've been playing with my target engagement order, and have been getting some surprise times

I have probably already written this, but for about 25 years of classroom science that overlapped my better USPSA years I had a ready group of lab rats.... one of the labs I did was to drop tennis balls off the football stadium and had them manipulate some physics formulas... in doing so I found a problem for the one dropping the ball and the stopwatch timers on the ground.... I ran some preliminary tests in the classroom and had them catch meter sticks to determine their reaction times, with and without a waning...with fingers lightly touching the meter sticks, and trap the stick with thumb and forefinger.... plug it into a formula, and the time is determined by the distance gravity accelerates the stick. 3,2,1, drop... when I looked at the results some things shook out.... left handed were the quickest at about .10s, right handed with dominant eye around .14s, right handed that when you interlaced fingers and crossed thumbs with left on top were about .18s and right handed with right thumb on top better than .21s

I was able to talk to a lot of the world class shooters that I had an opportunity to meet over the years, most all were right handed and dominant left eye... extrapolating this to the shooters setting the low peak times for Steel Challenge, that are dominant left eye, they would shoot the array left to right, so if one was to just follow their example pro forma, might be able to improve.... I've shot some quicker times in practice, but am trying to refine my sequence order.... SC is a speed event, but a 3s penalty for a missed plate or the mental frustration of re-engaging a missed plate really screws with my mental game... I am working on a couple of stages that have singlet difficult targets, and am working on a right to left order as I like to work right to left into the stop plate... thanks for you consideration

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2023, 10:41:35 AM »
Rastus... the Quicksilver 2 stroke oil idea came from a friend (30+ years ago) that at the time had a go-fast boat that was running a Mercury 3L outboard... he had problems with spark plugs fouling ... the Quicksilver oil dissipated carbon for him, and at the time worked well for me shooting a 1911 (back when MB was shooting in the Tampa Bay area)... have used it since, but got away for a time using Hornady One Shot... the One Shot dry lube did not accumulate fouling, but didn't seem to lubricate the firing pins as well as the liquid oil... 
<snip>

Les was dang sure right about cutting carbon.   I wish he was still around so I could let him know I tried it and it works, dadgummit.  This stuff really works, Quicksilver Premium 2-Stroke Engine Oil – Outboards, PWCs, Snowmobiles and Motorcycles.  After cleaning an AK with regular gun cleaner running this through afterwards was an eye opener on it's ability to clean the carbon that remained.  It is $18.51 a quart from the Amazon beast.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2023, 02:49:51 PM »
Les was dang sure right about cutting carbon.   I wish he was still around so I could let him know I tried it and it works, dadgummit.  This stuff really works, Quicksilver Premium 2-Stroke Engine Oil – Outboards, PWCs, Snowmobiles and Motorcycles.  After cleaning an AK with regular gun cleaner running this through afterwards was an eye opener on it's ability to clean the carbon that remained.  It is $18.51 a quart from the Amazon beast.

I hate walmart, but they have it for $6 a quart and by the gallon for $37. Buy once and never again....LOL
Or divy it up with friends who shoot.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk