Author Topic: 300 BLK mags  (Read 3346 times)

tombogan03884

300 BLK mags
« on: November 27, 2021, 09:42:13 AM »
I know Les answered this for me before, but darned if I can find it.   ;D

Bought 30 rd AR mags.  Curve is wrong for the 300 cartridge , so they're basically cool looking 5 rounders.        :(

Should I have just bought 20 rd mags ?
Or does some one make 300 specific mags ?

Thanx   ;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: 300 BLK mags
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 05:43:33 PM »
I've been considering building out a .300 on a spare receiver and wonder this as well.
When the .300 Blk first came on the scene, all the "experts" said one of the advantages was mag compatibility.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 09:16:46 PM »
The taper is different so they don't stack the same.   >:(
As well as wider so mag capacity is a bit lower as well.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 07:44:34 AM »
See if I can get Kevin to respond he loves his .300.

Slight different animal, but I use straight, metal 20 rounders for my .458.  Did replace the follower with a single stack one.  Not really necessary but heads off any feeding problem with the last round.   
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 08:23:24 AM »
See if I can get Kevin to respond he loves his .300.

Slight different animal, but I use straight, metal 20 rounders for my .458.  Did replace the follower with a single stack one.  Not really necessary but heads off any feeding problem with the last round.

That's what I plan on pending other suggestions.
One issue I have is I want to keep 300, and 5.56 unmistakably separate.
Right now I have metal for 5.56, and polymer for 300.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:49:39 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 03:40:52 PM »
I use Ammo Bands on any that aren't 5.56.  Of course all I got is .458 and .308 right now.

I have one metal 10 rounder also for .458.  Only holds 5.  It doesn't get in the way as much shooting from the bench.  Also had the idea that if I went to hunt in a state with magazine restriction it would be what I'd use.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 10:41:04 AM »
Magpul makes .300BLK mags, I have 10 or so, also banded. I even have a special band for the sub-sonic 300s.

X-Products allegedly makes a drum mag for the 300, but I have yet to find it on their website.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 05:40:05 PM »
I just had a talk with my friend from SOCOM... and asked him about the 300BLK magazines....as used in the SiG MCX as adopted by SOCOM, they use standard M4/16 magazines in the MCX.... 220grain Barnes bullet with magnum pistol powder.... switch was from previously used HK MP5SD that had holes drilled in the barrel proper in addition to baffled suppressor so NATO standard 9mm would be sub sonic... a 147 at less than 1000fps is basically a .38spl, and was over matched in one of the Euro terrorist confrontations against 7.62/5.45x 39 with poor outcome for the good guys

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 08:33:58 AM »
I just had a talk with my friend from SOCOM... and asked him about the 300BLK magazines....as used in the SiG MCX as adopted by SOCOM, they use standard M4/16 magazines in the MCX.... 220grain Barnes bullet with magnum pistol powder.... switch was from previously used HK MP5SD that had holes drilled in the barrel proper in addition to baffled suppressor so NATO standard 9mm would be sub sonic... a 147 at less than 1000fps is basically a .38spl, and was over matched in one of the Euro terrorist confrontations against 7.62/5.45x 39 with poor outcome for the good guys

That's actually a fairly common practice in dedicated suppressed guns.
Forgotten Weapons has a video of a newer model/ prototype that let's you open or close the holes for sonic or sub- sonic ammo.
I don't recall the maker or I would link the vid.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1085
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 02:39:15 AM »
I use Ammo Bands on any that aren't 5.56.  Of course all I got is .458 and .308 right now.

I have one metal 10 rounder also for .458.  Only holds 5.  It doesn't get in the way as much shooting from the bench.  Also had the idea that if I went to hunt in a state with magazine restriction it would be what I'd use.

The ammo bands are a good idea. Even though I don't own either one, I like the .458 SOCOM better than the .458 Bushmaster. The fact that the cartridge takes up the full width of the magazine, and the feed lips don't need to be modified is part of the reason. If I deer hunted in the shotgun zone here I would have to use straightwall cartridges, dut I don't plan on deer hunting anymore. If I buy either one it will likely come down to a .458, it being cheaper and the ammo more available.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk