Author Topic: Chanute AFB and Altamont Corp  (Read 603 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Chanute AFB and Altamont Corp
« on: April 01, 2022, 11:37:50 AM »
The company make a lot of other products, but of course we revolver shooters know them primarily for their grips.  I have several sets of Altamont grips for my revolvers.   They list their company HQ as Thomasboro, IL.  Doesn't ring a bell with me, UNTIL...

I am an USAF veteran of Chanute AFB, '68-'69. It was primarily a training base for aircraft and missile maintenance.  The main training facility, White Hall, was the largest military building up until the Pentagon was built.  During WWII some of the training for the Tuskegee Airmen was done at Chanute.   A very historic base, but was closed in '93.  The local town, Rantoul, took it over and converted it to office, business and  manufacturing center.  The economy isn't great around Rantoul, but they made a go of it.

I'm a member of a FB group of Chanute veterans where we reminisce about our good times and bad times there.  Someone just posted that the main chow hall (#3), was torn down and a manufacturing facility was build by...  wait for it....  Altamont.  I'd like to think that's were my grips were made, on the same site I ate chow for 8 months.   

Small World After All
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk