Author Topic: Orphaned guns  (Read 3522 times)

Obiwan

• Forum Member
  • "Jihad This!"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Orphaned guns
« on: April 27, 2022, 02:05:30 PM »
I share your feelings about orphaned guns. You mentioned the Star PD. I had one and loved it. I sold it because the lack of availability of spare parts and the inability to put an ambi safety on it (necessary as I'm left handed). Such is why I now only buy guns made by main line manufacturers even though some obscure guns look neat.
Unless it's life or death related, it's all BullShit!

Former USMC
Retired federal LEO

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1403
Re: Orphaned guns
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 02:25:08 PM »
There is a fine line between today's orphaned guns and tomorrow's collector prize.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 05:38:02 PM »
My Colt 1911 Mk IV is betwixt and between when it comes to the barrel bushing.  It will take most all other 3rd party parts but that.  I like that bushing, evidently I'm one of the few and it's good thing I don't shoot it a whole lot so maybe it'll last.  Of course it will never be a collectable because I had the slide cut to accept current model rear sights.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 10:58:19 AM »
Obiwan I am a fellow southpaw. Being a lefty has made me pick only a certain type of gun and all others are training tools. I will train with firearms that are not lefty friendly and understand their capabilities. Clint Smith advised to learn a 3 types of semi handguns that will cover a large portion of guns, Remington and Mossberg pumps, ARs and AK platforms. I hate all handguns that have safeties on the upper slide. I do not use a slide release and that is why I run the top of the gun to do mag changes. I know people hate glocks but they are lefty friendly and have available holsters for left handed people that are not the price of a small countries defense budget. 
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

Obiwan

• Forum Member
  • "Jihad This!"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 02:26:26 PM »
Bulldog:

I appreciate your thoughts. Of all the handguns that I have only two have manual safeties. Fortunately the handguns issued to me as a LEO were lefty friendly. Beretta 96D, and HK P2000 LEM. My own EDC guns are lefty friendly. I've been dealing with being a shooter/lefty for over 60 years and it really doesn't concern me much as I just naturally look for lefty friendly handguns without over thinking it. I use my left hand middle finger for magazine ejection and the slingshot method to chamber a round. Been doing that for decades. I've also developed revolver techniques.
Alfsuave:
I also have a MK IV. I've never been concerned with the collet bushing. It works for me. I've seen stories of one of the fingers breaking off but have never seen it personally. I don't shoot it much but it's nice to know that I have it - Just in case. The only mod is an ambi safety and a Harts recoil reducer. The Harts doesn't leak (mercury filled) but I monitor it.
Unless it's life or death related, it's all BullShit!

Former USMC
Retired federal LEO

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:25:04 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 12:45:58 PM »
My Colt 1911 Mk IV is betwixt and between when it comes to the barrel bushing.  It will take most all other 3rd party parts but that.  I like that bushing, evidently I'm one of the few and it's good thing I don't shoot it a whole lot so maybe it'll last.  Of course it will never be a collectable because I had the slide cut to accept current model rear sights.

Alf, count me in that group also.
Love the bushing and mine will never be collectible since the frame had been butchered before I bought it and salvaged it via a beaver tail grip safety and Millet sights.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk