Author Topic: Breaking the law in Colorado  (Read 2397 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Breaking the law in Colorado
« on: June 11, 2022, 04:07:37 PM »
How many are following the minor story about USPSA and the Colorado laws?

As I understand it, Colorado law doesn't allow >15 round magazines, made after 2013.  Of course how do they prove it was manufactured after 2013? 

Anyway, USPSA has chosen to ignore this for their 2-gun and hi-cap nationals (Open, Ltd, PCC) at Cameo facility.  They have not implemented rule 3.3.1 which says they are to inform competitors they might be in violation of state laws.  One or two sponsors have withdrawn their support because regardless of whether Colorado intends to enforce the law or not, it appears to be against the law.  All it would take is some hot-shot DA with a burr under his/her blanket to swoop in and put the hurts on the competition.

Interesting in that many full size guns, like those used in the hi-cap divisions, won't even take a 15round mag because the grip is too long.  I know my Legend X5 won't.  And I wonder what IDPA's stance is with their nationals coming up?  Again how many ESP, SSP and COs even accommodate a 15 rd mag?  Does USPSA & IDPA expect competitors to buy all new magazines expressly for Colorado?  And wouldn't that put the kibash on large capacity competition?

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Breaking the law in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 05:12:08 PM »
Thier crappy gun laws are why I refuse to hunt in co
   Very pretty state,but boy did it get a case of the liberals.

I don't know why they would not inform the attendees that they might be breaking the law.     I know for a fact that I don't have any 10+ round mags made before 2013... damn ka bs laws.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 09:08:40 PM »
Thier crappy gun laws are why I refuse to hunt in co
   <snip>

Yeah
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 07:46:31 AM »
Does the law apply to larger competitions?  I recall a while back that a competition caused a  similar conflict with California law.  Some how they gained an exemption for the competitors and competition.  I don't recall the particulars, but I do remember the uproar and that the competition went on.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 02:16:32 PM »
No such exemption is mentioned in the state statute.  You might be exempt via federal law if you are just passing through the state, but I don't think you can use that if CO is your destination.
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:57:48 PM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 05:08:34 PM »
The federal law is for travel, and if you stop to use the firearm for hunting or competition you are not "just passing through," even if you continue on somewhere else that is not your home.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 04:10:16 PM »
After the 2-gun Nationals, USPSA has been served notice that Colorado Parks will require an affidavit from each competitor, under penalty of perjury, that they are in compliance with all CO laws. 

USPSA has moved the remaining Nationals, Open, Limited, PCC. & Production to CMP.

Wonder when we'll hear from IDPA?
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 06:32:03 AM »
RIGHT AFTER I posted that comment about IDPA, guess what?   Not that my post made any difference but IDPA, Joyce, issued a press release saying that it was too late to move the IDPA Nationals, but no worries just sign the waiver.   The waiver says that if you possess any magazines >15 rounds you swear, under penalty of perjury, you've owned them since before 7/1/2013.   That's NINE years ago.     

In affect they're turning a misdemeanor into a felony.    See, if you're stopped and questioned about your magazine you don't have to say anything.  You don't have to tell them when you bought it, from where or how long you've had it.  The burden of proof is on the government to find all that out.  But with a "waiver", well now the tables are tilted a little bit.   I've toyed with going, if I could get a slot, but definitely not going now, even if I were shooting CCP or CDP.

Okay, I realize only the PCC division has more than 15 rounds.  So I guess they'll be shooting that as PCC-10.  I know my SSP gun and I'm betting a number of others  might not take magazines as SMALL as 15 rounds.  For P320 users  can change to a compact grip, but sheez, way to ruin a two divisions. 

https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/CO_Waiver.pdf
Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 07:55:13 AM »
Snakes always want to bite.  If they can set you up first, they will.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 05:54:52 PM »
Evidently, it appears they may be breaking the law in Maryland, too.

Just watched a video of a PCC shooter in the MD State USPSA match. I checked Practiscore and there were 28 shooter in PCC.   Imagine that, all of those shooter owned those >10 round PCC mags since 2013.  Wow!    Cause the one in the video certainly had a l-a-r-g-e capacity magazine and from the score I don't think anyone was shooting it with only 10 rounds.

Here's the real problem for USPSA and IDPA:  They can <wink> <wink> at the law and the local gendarmerie may say they can't be bother with enforcement, but one DA who's so motivated can not only make a case against competitors, but can then possibly cite the organizers with conspiracy to break the law.   Don't think at the federal level this might not go unnoticed with the thought of bringing RICO charges.  Oh wouldn't that be a gun control coup to put USPSA and IDPA out of business?

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk