Author Topic: S&W 686 Repair  (Read 2113 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
S&W 686 Repair
« on: June 24, 2022, 06:30:10 PM »
I bought a number of my revolvers in auction lots of 5 or so guns sight unseen and out of all I got I finally realized one of them was a pig.  I've never really used the 6" 686-5 that I've got some years back and I broke it out having decided to use it in future ICORE matches.  Well guess what?  it has a bulge in the barrel.  Barely perceptible but one near the muzzle.  How did I know?  All the tumbling bullets tearing up the targets at 10 yds.  That and of course the 24" group I was shooting told me something was wrong (same ammo different gun no problem).

My favorite revolver gunsmith in ATL just quit his job so I decided to just have SW handle it.  Not expecting warranty work, just using them to do the barrel replacement.  Also they'd have access to replacement barrels were as Cylinder and Slide or other smiths might take a while to locate a new barrel.    I called last Friday.  The CSR answered after just a couple of rings.  Explained what I wanted to do and she emailed me a FedEx shipping label.  I took it to the FedEx center on Saturday and it was delivered to S&W on Monday.   SO FAR SO GOOD. 

Today I got another, donotreply email with a new shipping label from S&W.  I'm willing to bet they've mislaid my gun at the SW mail room.  It hasn't been scanned in the service system.  It has a return id barcode on the label.   Now granted, since they say box it so that it doesn't say or look like a gun, I sent it in a TIVO recorder box.  Maybe their IT department has it.  I'll give them a couple more days then I'll call.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

BAC

Re: S&W 686 Repair
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 01:14:27 AM »
Oh no!  Hope they find it.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 07:53:26 AM »
Or maybe not.  Get a new one...
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 09:57:39 AM »
Or maybe not.  Get a new one...
  You think they'd have a -5 (no lock) laying around just for me?

Well I got an email just now.  The gun has been checked into the repair center.  Of course that must be a long walk from shipping/receiving to repair.  Took them 5 days.  But all's well for now.

Now just wait until somebody looks at it, confirms bulge and give me cost on replacement.
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 12:50:03 PM »
Got the estimate in the mail.  Called the next morning to authorize and pay for the repair.  $258 for barrel replacement.  That's on par with C&S and with a local smith, but both caution it could take a few weeks to find a new barrel,  S&W on the other hand have them laying around and says it'll probably go out by Friday.   Yeah-h-h-h.
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:22:56 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 01:17:40 PM »
Do you remember shooting a hot load or..????
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 10:58:17 AM »
Do you remember shooting a hot load or..????

No, this is a gun from an auction lot that I just stuck in the back of the safe and other than a function check haven't used, it came this way.   I got took on this one.  Considering the fairly low prices I've paid buy auction and the number of guns not to bad to have only 1 pig-in-a-poke.

In my letter to S&W I put:  "I know everyone says they didn't do this, but I didn't.  Auction gun bought sight unseen."
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 11:00:24 AM »
Well that took a week longer, but I got the shipping notice.  This morning.

Interestingly, it's UPS, who some have reported are refusing to ship guns in some cases. 

Evidently S&W uses FeEx for inbound and UPS for outbound.  Or maybe just whomever is cheaper on that day.

Will work for ammo

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 07:12:23 AM »
Off topic slightly, but how is your S&W stock doing these days?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 08:30:22 AM »
 It paid good dividends, but one reason for owning it was the brand name.  When they did the holding company thing a few years back I dumped it.  Then they change the hold company name back to S&W Brands.  I should have bought back in.  Had you bought in Mar 2020 you’d be up 3X right now.
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk