Author Topic: Slow Down. You Shoot Too Fast.  (Read 1125 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Slow Down. You Shoot Too Fast.
« on: July 30, 2022, 10:22:37 AM »
Remember the song Feeling Groovy?   Here let me plant the ear bug for you.

Slow down, you shoot too fast.
Got-ta make that ammo last.
Shootin' down the latest stage.
Lookin' for points and feeling groovy.
Ba da da da da da da, feeling groovy.

Thursday we shot a new USPSA classifier, Can You Count CM 06-03.   It's a hoser.  2 targets, one at 4' and at 8'.  Yes that's feet.  5 shots into one, reload 5 shots into another.  (Repeat for a second string.)  Evidently I was shooting a little too fast for my 929.  Pictured below is my moon clip.  The single round is not a misfire.  The locking lug didn't catch the cylinder, which I must have pulled the trigger so fast that its inertia spun the cylinder on around to the next chamber.   I didn't notice this when it happened.   And I didn't think I was going that fast.   My total time for the two strings was 14.96.   Hit Factor was 6.6845 for a high C, 58.47%.  For those slow of with math, that's 2 draws, two reloads and 20 rounds.

With my 686's I do practice speed runs with the goal of 6 shots in <1 second.  And I've done it with the 4", 5" and with the just repaired 6".  In fact my record is 0.94seconds.  JM isn't threatened.   My 629 need more tuning as I'm only at 1.02 seconds.  But I don't practice this with the 929, evidently I should.  With it's titanium cylinder I wouldn't have suspected this would happen.

Yes, I know what to do.  Check the locking lug to make sure it's not worn or damaged.  Replace the spring.  Clean the exterior of the cylinder really good and check for worn or damaged slots.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: Slow Down. You Shoot Too Fast.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 03:23:58 PM »
Awww....you're just showin' off now.

Which I too would do if I was that fast.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 04:06:08 PM »
We are all used to trigger jobs and action slicking that is all about lighter springs.  I put the Jerry M. spring kit in my S&W 625-8.  The springs are NOT lighter.  They are heavier to allow the gun to move as fast as The Finger.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 04:30:22 PM »
We are all used to trigger jobs and action slicking that is all about lighter springs.  I put the Jerry M. spring kit in my S&W 625-8.  The springs are NOT lighter.  They are heavier to allow the gun to move as fast as The Finger.

Yep, especially the trigger return spring.   I take 1# of of it and leave the cylinder lock stud spring alone.  Lighten the hammer spring of course.  The big deal is polishing all the contact surface so they a slick.

I haven't really looked at this gun since Thursday, I suspect the slots in the cylinder may be dirty.  And of course this just could have be of those random jiggle/bounce things causing it to miss a chamber.
Will work for ammo

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 07:10:46 PM »
Steel Challenge can be hard on your ego.... I've been shooting gun games for over 40 years, and about 2 years ago (with the primer shortage) switched to Steel Challenge ( rim fire rifle optics) with a CMMG B conversion unit on a 9" SBR'd AR upper, LaRue MBT trigger,  with a Holosun HS510c (currently the green on is on the gun)... so I go down to the West Florida Championships as a spectator, and a young lady (15 year old Raegan Hearn) happens to be shooting Smoke and Hope.... the speed stage... 4, 24" targets and a stop plate.... her throw away time was 2:01..... my best ever time is 2:06... and then there is an 11 year old that looks like she is 8... I will never shoot the MK IV at that range in case she shows up... Les 8)

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:58:17 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 09:53:59 AM »
... a young lady (15 year old Raegan Hearn) happens to be shooting Smoke and Hope.... ...... and then there is an 11 year old that looks like she is 8... I will never shoot the MK IV at that range in case she shows up... Les 8)

I've only shot SC at my home range River Bend.  Bay 1 is all the way down the hill from the clubhouse.  It's us old folks who sign up for that squad so we don't have to walk up the hill twice. ;)    Hence there is nobody above a "B" on our squad. 

Haven't seen any "top" shooters show up for SC, but we get them all the time for USPSA.  I try not to let it  psych me out.

That real young girl who does the gun reviews...  She's starting to shoot some matches now.  I'm guess she's at least 10 or 11, whatever the minimum age is.  Dang, if she sticks with it, she'll put Jessie, The "J" twins, Lena, and probably all the male shooter to shame in a few years.
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 09:55:56 AM »
Oh and I start SC because I wanted to shoot and support Rimfire Challenge, but there haven't been any day trip matches here.  Well, once I got started in SC, I then decided, since I'll never be master, I could at least join the 13 club.   10-1/2 down all C class.
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk