Author Topic: Hurricane Ian  (Read 1641 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hurricane Ian
« on: September 30, 2022, 06:45:17 AM »
we dodged a pretty  big bullet... I live about 35 miles north of Tampa Bay... the outer feeder band of Ian barely reached Pasco County... 72 hours earlier we were about in the middle of the projected cone...tropical weather, but not Tropical Storm wind...didn't loose power... we've had a lot of rain the last month, so the Anclote River will be flood stage...

I'll be 75 next week, and handling even partial sheets of plywood over my head, on a step ladder is more than I want to try any more. so will add some corrugated metal hurricane shutters... stay safe ... Les

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1384
Re: Hurricane Ian
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 07:30:47 AM »
I'm very glad you and yours are safe. A lot of people in the area can't say the same today.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 08:02:54 AM »
Glad to hear you're safe, Les. My Dad used to live in Hudson in Pasco County.

Storm passed us here in Savannah, GA, out at sea. We had a little rain last night, everything is dry this AM but more rain is predicted. Winds are mild gusts, so NBD for us. Charleston, however, . . . .
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 08:49:05 AM »
I've been in communication with Hazcat and Deepwater and they came out almost unscathed.  They were both at Haz's place in St. Petersburg and they were behind boarded up windows.  But, they never lost power or even Internet.

Not sure if enough people remain here who still remember either of them.  But they are both okay.  I left Florida a couple of years ago for a paradise here in Western North Carolina and all we anticipate is a bit of breeze and some rain, but nothing to worry about.

FWIW,
Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 444
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 12:03:59 PM »
Kevin reports from Naples that his house and hood did pretty good.  He lives 20 or so miles inland so just a lot of trash leaves and limbs blown around.  No flooding.  Lost electricity and net overnight but up Thursday.

My BIL lives in Cape Coral.  He lost some small palms, half of his lanai and a few roof tiles but the water stopped an inch short of coming in his house.  No power or net and cell service was out for 24 hours.  Some neighbors weren’t so lucky.  For reference he live within 1/4 mile of the bridge to Pine Island and just ~2 miles from the now destroyed Sanabel Causeway.

All out door activities were canceled in the ATL area including matches, but the storm is further east than anticipated so we’re questioning whether we’ll get any thing other than some mild wind gusts.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:37:07 AM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 06:23:51 PM »
something I noticed about the forecast projected track... in the past storms (Irma for me) forecast tracks were given as a solid line and the probability cone dispersed around the track... this led to a false sense of security for a lot of people... this storm was presented with just the probability cone, and led to a much heightened sense of urgency by the neighbors around me..

for Irma the original projected track was to be the east coast of Fla, then an upgrade to the center of the state, and finally it came up the west coast.... by that time if I had wanted to evacuate the roads were already nearly a parking lot... this year the uncertainty caused a lot more preparations, and the rapid wind speed increase to 155mph almost CAT 5 prompted an OH SH.T! response to many...doing my homework on hanger bolts and metal window panels... the plywood is getting too much for an old guy to deal with.... regards Les

there is a lot of "well he survived the storm, but died of a heart attack cleaning up"

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 559
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 02:50:26 PM »
Les, it's great to hear you are good.

Crusader, please pass on to Haz & Deepwater that they are missed and ask Deepwater if he still gets on the ham radio.  I'd like to make a contact with him someday.

Alf glad to hear your concerns are relatively well.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 444
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 04:12:25 PM »
A thought I’ve not seen too much about on the news, how many didn’t just loose their homes, but lost their land.  Especially on Sanibel.  If you’ve seen the picture of the light house, not only are all buildings and most of trees gone, gone as in out to sea., but half the land around the tower is missing as well.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 12:44:32 PM »
while waiting for the range in Tarpon Springs to open today, a gent from Ft Myers pulled in, he was looking for ammo...seems though some out of area south Florida miscreants have been working the canals, looting boats, and damaged homes... also had a pic of his neighbor's home that had been spared from the storm, but his electric car with lithium batteries got wet from storm surge, burst into flames, and burned his house down....

green new deal, wait, what?

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 845
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 07:30:45 PM »
I've been in communication with Hazcat and Deepwater and they came out almost unscathed.  They were both at Haz's place in St. Petersburg and they were behind boarded up windows.  But, they never lost power or even Internet.

Not sure if enough people remain here who still remember either of them.  But they are both okay.  I left Florida a couple of years ago for a paradise here in Western North Carolina and all we anticipate is a bit of breeze and some rain, but nothing to worry about.

FWIW,
Crusader Rabbit

Say hi to the guys from those of us who remember ... CLIP!!!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk