Author Topic: 3D Printer Laser Engraver for Christmas  (Read 2694 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 444
Re: 3D Printer Laser Engraver for Christmas
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 03:37:39 PM »
The loading block holds the case and the case holds the funnel. I like it. 👍

And those are my Flambeau loading blocks which they don’t make any more and are about the most perfect blocks ever.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1021
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 12:40:26 AM »
And those are my Flambeau loading blocks which they don’t make any more and are about the most perfect blocks ever.

It looks like you'll have to make more when they're gone.

My gun cleaning kit is a Flambeau tackle box, or some kind of box with a removable tray. The tray holds a lot of brushes and other small stuff, and bottles of oil and Hoppe's No 9 fit in the bottom with a variety of patches. If I buy another box I'm getting a bigger one next time. It's well built and has lasted many years.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2023, 12:15:35 PM »
I still dabble in special effects for theatre and I have a client that I'm working on a life size Plinko board for Halloween.   Instead of ping-pong balls it will feature snack size candy.  I'm pretty much done with design and wanted a final signoff to spend the money.  See drawing below. 

The client unfortunately isn't great with looking at 2D drawings and visualizing the finished product.

Wait.  PING-LIGHT BULB.   I have a 3D design program (Tinker CAD) and a 3D printer.  The world is my oyster.  How about a 3D model to show the client.

Will work for ammo

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2023, 03:19:16 AM »
I still dabble in special effects for theatre and I have a client that I'm working on a life size Plinko board for Halloween.   Instead of ping-pong balls it will feature snack size candy.  I'm pretty much done with design and wanted a final signoff to spend the money.  See drawing below. 

The client unfortunately isn't great with looking at 2D drawings and visualizing the finished product.

Wait.  PING-LIGHT BULB.   I have a 3D design program (Tinker CAD) and a 3D printer.  The world is my oyster.  How about a 3D model to show the client.

Tell them it looks like that. but bigger. Hopefully they understand that.

Suddenly, the Spinal Tap movie comes to mind. One of the guys in the band drew the plan for a Stonehenge model for the song Stonehenge, and someone built it. The size of a model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg5Ovdu6bOE
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 08:57:02 AM »
Gun related printing.   

I've learned more about TinkerCAD and how to manipulate the models.  So I redid the .458S funnel as a one piece project.  And I learned how to smooth out the sides of curved objects.  Picture below with the 2-piece gray one and the newer, smoother 1-piece one.

What are those little pieces in the picture you ask.   Ah Ha.  Once a month at my IDPA club we shoot a low light stage.  I suck at holding a light and a revolver.  And since I've got the Perfomance Center, slab sided 686 model, there's no good way to attach a light.   Options:  1)  Get a regular full, rounded underlug model and have it machined for a short rail to hold a light under the barrel.  2)  Sew a magnet into a cap and put a flash light there once the start signal sounds.  Quicker than clipping it on the cap.  Or 3)  Find a way to attach a light to the butt.

1)  Under consideration, but I need it for 3/18's Belton, SC match held at night.  This isn't cheap when you throw in a custom holster.
2)  Done that.  Fall back option.
3)  Ah HA!  So those little pieces are a saddle to hold the flash light straight against the butt.  Second picture you can just see it between the light and grip.  Yes I had to severely cut down the grip, I have several spare grips-which for revolver shooters they multiply almost as fast as holsters.

If you're curious I included shots of the TinkerCAD creation.  The gray areas are "holes".  I call them Black Holes because anything inside just disappears.  I started with a solid block, the added the "holes" to form the shape.  The last picture show the object "group" or compressed so the "holes" turn into non-magical voids.

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:22:20 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2023, 09:02:06 AM »
Follow up on the legality of this for IDPA.

I had the Area Coordinator run this up to national.  Turns out there is a 5" rule for grips in the Revolver Division.  Measured from the bottom of the hammer slot the grip can't be longer than 5". National decided any light attached to the bottom would be included as part of the grip.   There is a width and depth limit, but there's no clear instruction on how to measure those.  I may substitute a Fenix R18 or a OLight Baton for the Streamlight.  They are A L M O S T legal length.
Will work for ammo

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2023, 10:21:07 AM »
Just Gorilla tape the light to the barrel, problem solved.

Contact me for more pro-like shooting tips!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2023, 04:59:36 AM »
Just Gorilla tape the light to the barrel, problem solved.

Contact me for more pro-like shooting tips!

Either way sounds like a weiner winner for home-defense use too. If it works, ir works,

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2023, 02:33:18 PM »
So I did Belton Double Trouble night match.  Won 1st Place in Sharp Shooter Revolver.  Below is a picture of the revolver with the OLight Baton. ~1,000 lumens.  My area coordinator wondered how much time shooting at night adds to the scores.   Since this was a double match, shot once in daylight, then repeated after dark, I compared the ~50 or so shooters who shot the same division in both matches.  Turns out it adds about 15% to the scores, overall.  Probably more if these were new stages.  And of course I don't have a way to figure out how much fatigue figures into this.  Two 9 stage matches in one day starting at 12:30pm and ending about 11:45pm.

First, weapons mounted light is definitely the way to go for low light.  Secondly, I've decided not to shoot revolver in our local weekly match which has 1 low light stage  each month.  I'm going for the BUG division.  Had to get a second P365 with the 3.1" barrel since my XL version is too long, but half inch.  Then, oh duh, why didn't I try our my OLight BALDr green laser w/ light BEFORE I bought another P365?  Turns out those little slots on P365 grip aren't 1913 (picatinny) spec!!!

Wait, I HAVE A 3D PRINTER.  World Peace is attainable.   Someone on ThingVerse already has conquered this problem.  Their solution is very elegant and slim.  By using the "clamping" power of the picatinny device to hold the adapter onto the grip.  Works like a charm.    Seen below is the first iteration which was printed with whatever filament I had on the printer, PLA in dark green.   I'm will reprint it and some extras for friends in Tough PLA, which is harder and has more resliance than regular.   Nylon filament would be ideal but at $70+ a roll, compared to $20 for regular PLA I will wait to see how Tough holds up.  Unless I come up with another justification for Nylon.
Will work for ammo

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2023, 03:23:55 AM »
I've noticed over the years a lot of rails on pistols aren't Picatinny rails. Some have the right external dimensions but only one slot, while others are proprietary rails. Someone should make a miniature version of an ARCA rail, narrow enough to fit any mid-size pistol dust-cover. A half-size Picatinny rail, done in metric dimensions, would be good too. That seems like an even better idea to me. Updating the Picatinny rail after 110 years to Picatinny Version 2.0, or PicII, for smaller objects. If a major player did it, the whole industry might see what a great idea it is and standardize it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk